PDA

View Full Version : Break with Albany: Yes or No?

TLOZ Link5
September 8th, 2003, 11:55 PM
Should the City of New York continue to allow its future to be determined by a bloated, out-of-touch, conservative—and often ambivalent—beaurocracy upstate that barely ever appreciates the city's contribution to the greater economy?

If yes, would you like to see the greater metropolitan area—Long Island, Westchester, and perhaps Northern Jersey and Southern Connecticut—follow suit?

Or perhaps we should remain an integral part of a state that we have been bound to by tradition and hope for the best?

If staying is your choice, would you support a memorandum advocating the recall of Governor Pataki?

Or do you simply have no opinion, for one reason or another?

Regardless of your leanings, feel free to vote.

Agglomeration
September 22nd, 2003, 10:05 PM
At the very least kick Pataki out of office. I could name a million things he has done wrong against our fair city.

dbhstockton
September 22nd, 2003, 10:19 PM
It'd be nice, but I don't see how it could ever happen, though it was only just over 100 years ago that NYC gobbled up the outer boroughs.

ZippyTheChimp
September 23rd, 2003, 07:34 AM
New York City can't just vote to secede. It must be approved by the State Legislature and US Congress. Never happen.

North2South
October 26th, 2003, 04:03 PM
If staying is your choice, would you support a memorandum advocating the recall of Governor Pataki?

That's a worse idea than seceding from NY state.

And Zippy is right, it would never happen. But lately people have been talking about it like it was serious.

Freedom Tower
October 27th, 2003, 10:28 PM
It's just an awful idea. Why even bother? Everything is fine right now the way it is, why change a good thing?

JCDJ
March 4th, 2004, 08:13 PM
I guess I don't really care. I mean, I don't know the specifics of why one decision would be better than the other, but you can't say it's not possible. If North Carolina could do it to the country, New York City could do it to the state, and probably in a better way, (as long as everyone can resist waging war on Yonkers). Whether Long Island is included or not doesn't make much difference to me either. I'm hoping people will inform me about what the issues are here, positives and negatives. But what I can relate to is the idea that Albany is to far to know what nyc needs, comparable to Prospect Park being slighted by City Hall.

I can't speak on behalf of Connecticut, but New Jersey chose to be our own state when we started, and we wouldn't want to be part of New York now. It wouldn't be in our best interest, the same way nyc wants to control itself without Albany and upstate as an interferring or higher power, New Jersey wouldn't want to be controlled by a different center of political dynamics, because then our growth might become stifled like Brooklyn.

I'm still clueless about southern Connecticut's take, but if they chose to live there instead of the Bronx, I'd assume they'd take the same stance.