PDA

View Full Version : Movin to NYC: Any Advice?

bryan72979
November 9th, 2003, 03:32 PM
Hi. I'm moving to New York in a couple months and want to find a nice place. Any suggestions on some buildings to look at if I plan to get a 1 BR for around $2000/month or $250k (if I buy)? Thanks.

TLOZ Link5
November 9th, 2003, 11:25 PM
You might want to try the Financial District. Low rents, safe and developing neighborhood, great access to transportation, and definitely convenient if you're taking a job down there also. I think they still have the Liberty Zone incentives in place. Williamsburg in Brooklyn would be a good bet, too, and perhaps Staten Island if you're not worried about a long commute.

BrooklynRider
November 10th, 2003, 08:39 AM
If you can pay $2K/month (plus utilities), you can pretty much pick your neighborhood.

billyblancoNYC
November 10th, 2003, 12:03 PM
$2000 per month is a nice amount, to be sure, especially outside of prime Manhattan areas.

If you could buy something for $250K I would do that 100%. There are tons of co-ops and condos in Queens for that much and less. Even some in Brooklyn.

Look online, there are tons of real estate sites: www.nytimes.com, www.realtor.com, www.foxtons.com, etc.

You're not in a bad spot, but buying is the way to go, especially since the prices are not skyrocketing at the moment and rates are still in check. Be open to the area, though. There are many great areas in NYC and wherever you are, you can get to anywhere in the city with moderate to great ease (much of the time).

Where are you coming from?

kliq6
November 10th, 2003, 02:14 PM
upper east side, upper west side or Tribeca

bryan72979
November 10th, 2003, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. I'm moving down from Boston. Any other good websites like foxtons.com that have a lot of listings? Cheers.

kliq6
November 10th, 2003, 03:38 PM
citi-habilts.com
princeproperties.com
manhattanapts.com

Moving from Boston, got a new job in NYC?

Edward
November 10th, 2003, 06:00 PM
If you are planning to rent, you can save $3600 by contacting rental buildings directly and saving the 15% broker's fee.

See the forum thread List of rental buildings in Manhattan (http://forums.wirednewyork.com/viewtopic.php?t=510) for the list of rentals buildings. Also check out the landlord's websites such as Related and Brodsky (URLs in the same thread).