PDA

View Full Version : Cars in Manhattan

fall guy
November 9th, 2003, 03:35 PM
I thinking of moving to ny, can you really survive in the city with no car, because in Houston we live in our cars.

ablarc
November 9th, 2003, 04:15 PM
fall guy, you sure can survive in New York without a car. In fact unless you're rich you're better off without one. Come to think of it, even if you're rich you're better off without one.

Here are just some of the problems if you park on the street:

1. parking tickets (stiff) and your car towed (mucho expensive)

2. can't find a place to park

3. car broken into or vandalized, or even stolen

4. If you do get lucky and happen to find someone just coming out of a place to park (after you have circled the block half a dozen times), you will just have to move it to the other side of the street early next morning to make room for the street cleaners. Now you need to circle the block again, this time a dozen times. Or you can just bag it and let your car get towed.

If you park in a garage, you have to find one that has room, you have to give up your car keys to an attendant who may copy them, you have to remove everything from your car and you have to wait until your car is retrieved by the attendant. Then, you will go into cardiac arrest when you find out how much you have to pay.

Over and over again, you will find yourself stuck in traffic and fuming as you miss your appointment or curtain time, and you will find yourself fantasizing about being in the subway, being whisked to where you want to go.

You can get anywhere you want to go in New York on foot, by public transport or in a cab. Once a month, when you find you want to go out of town, you can just rent a car. Think how much money you will save in insurance, car payments and parking fees; and you will always be driving a clean, nifty late-model car.

This is a no-brainer.

fall guy
November 9th, 2003, 08:57 PM
Thanks a lot, good info

TLOZ Link5
November 9th, 2003, 10:28 PM
Good luck in New York, fall guy!

SUPREMO
November 10th, 2003, 05:37 AM
How about if you decided to move to Westchester, Coop City or even as far as Long Island, would a car be necessary now?

TonyO
November 10th, 2003, 02:22 PM
You should own a car in those areas, but commuting to the city? I think you would be nuts if you have a job during a normal work shift.

This city is known for being expensive, but what really is high priced here is housing and anything car related.

While I don't commute from outside Manhattan anymore, I did from near Westchester and a car is more hassle than the little gain of control you have.

maroualle
November 18th, 2003, 02:35 AM
Hmmm what a nice vision of the city you gave for the happy drivers that we are, at least here in europe.

But i assume that's the kind of things you have to accept if you live in NY.