PDA

View Full Version : Nicest Area in NYC

ThuRsDaY
November 23rd, 2003, 09:27 PM
What's the nicest area in NYC, in terms of that real New Yorker sense, where you know you're in the Big Apple?

Gulcrapek
November 23rd, 2003, 09:35 PM
Midtown, Greenwich Village, or the Upper East Side is what I think of...

ablarc
November 23rd, 2003, 10:21 PM
Upper West Side between Columbus Circle and Columbia University.

STT757
November 23rd, 2003, 11:35 PM
Robert Wagner park, Battery Park City.

TLOZ Link5
November 23rd, 2003, 11:35 PM
TriBeCa and SoHo are also great. The East Village and the Lower East Side are great if you like gritty chic.

tmg
November 24th, 2003, 01:30 PM
Roosevelt Avenue (Woodside/Jackson Heights/Corona, Queens)

This is the real New York. Perhaps not the nicest or most scenic part, but certainly the most vibrant, diverse area of the city. Right under the #7 Train, for you tourists from Manhattan!

billyblancoNYC
November 24th, 2003, 01:30 PM
Also like Grammercy/Flatiron District and Brooklyn Heights/Cobble Hill.

Dennis
November 24th, 2003, 02:50 PM
Theater district, upper midtown, central park and battery park city :o

Schadenfrau
November 24th, 2003, 03:44 PM
It really depends on what you're looking for.

krulltime
November 24th, 2003, 03:49 PM
Central Park for Park fun, Upper West Side to live, the West and East Village for restaurants and bars, Woodside(Queens) for hanging out with some Queens friends. And if the price is fair for shopping, anyware!

ZippyTheChimp
November 24th, 2003, 04:40 PM
The essence of New York is moving through all these places (and others) and observing the differences.

lovelife
November 25th, 2003, 10:20 AM
To me it is the lower east side, because its where so many new immigrants began there new lives and it has an old world NYC feel to it.

Clarknt67
December 2nd, 2003, 12:45 PM
I vote for the LES & East Village. If I won the lotto I'd be tempted to set myself up there.

Schadenfrau
December 4th, 2003, 12:37 PM
If I won the lotto, I'd move to Sutton Place.

ablarc
December 4th, 2003, 06:50 PM
I might pick McDougal Alley or St. Luke's Place, both in greenwich Village.

NoyokA
December 4th, 2003, 07:39 PM
My favorite place to "hang-out" is the Lower East Side.

The nicest; the most expensive is the Upper East Side.

Moe14
December 5th, 2003, 08:41 PM
If I win the Lotto it's a triplex co-op in a Brooklyn Heights High Rise.

"Nicest Part" of the City depends on What mood I'm in - and also the season.

ZippyTheChimp
December 5th, 2003, 08:56 PM
You said it Moe. My first apartment was in Brooklyn Heights. I was young, in love, and since neither of us could cook very well, grandma was close by in Carroll Gardens. This time I would want something on Columbia Heights, but facing the promenade and Manhattan.

Clarknt67
December 7th, 2003, 06:56 PM
You said it Moe. My first apartment was in Brooklyn Heights. I was young, in love, and since neither of us could cook very well, grandma was close by in Carroll Gardens. This time I would want something on Columbia Heights, but facing the promenade and Manhattan.

I've lived in Brooklyn Heights for 10 years, and am very happy. Enough, I often think I'd stay here even if I could afford to live anywhere.

But in my POST-Lotto winning imaginings, I always think, well, my family & friends from the midwest would love to visit me in my manhattan residence. (Which could function as an arguement either way!) :wink:

Hof
December 8th, 2004, 02:21 PM
It would be difficult to choose exactly where in Manhattan I'd buy my apartment.It would depend on the size of the Lotto winnings.
If the number was a REALLY big one,say,$70-$100 million,I'd get a place on the Upper West Side,my favorite Manhattan spot.I'd get a modest $4-$5 million hideaway overlooking the River.(I like to watch New Jersey).
I'd rent parking space from Jerry Seinfeld and collect Checker Cabs.I'd eat three slices of cheesecake from the Manhattan Diner per day and I'd write books about living somewhere else.I'd adapt airs and walk Central Park,singing after dark.People'd think I'm crazy.
Or,I'll take a meeting with The Donald about a 50th floor unit in TWT,something looking down on the UN.Under $5 million,if he has one.
I'd want him to install a balcony or a sliding window so I could shout obsenities at various delegates as they go to work saving the World.
Trump probably won't do that though,no matter how much cash I dangle.He has a high sense of asthetics--and a lot more cash.Sadly,he can't be bribed.
If my winnings were modest,maybe $15 million or so,I'd get a nice floor in a refurbed brownstone in SOHO,say in the $3 mil range;a small 3 1/2 room,4th-floor walkup overlooking a pizza place in the Village,where I can hang out with the current hip people and drink heavily at Googie's.I could fritter away my days looking for a parking space for my Ferrari.
How much for a Harborview in BPC,one with Jersey views?One question--can I get there without going through construction?
Nah,I'd HAVE to live in Brooklyn Heights.Except...New York would block New Jersey.Damn!
If the Lotto paid me,uh,$5 million,well,I'd stay in Florida and visit a lot.All the good Manhattan places are too pricey,and I DON'T want to live in da Bronx,so I'd stay where I'm at and maybe put in a pool.I'd think of New York a lot.
But if I were to use my laughably small bankroll to buy a place in NYC ,my last favorite place in The City would be Malba,is a North Shore Queens outpost if demi-mansions on lovely lots overlooking The Sound.You can't see NJ from here,but what the hell...the homes are just a couple million.Not New Yorkish,but nice,like Cleveland.
Maybe I'll just rent until my winnings trickle away.Or live in New Jersey...

NewYorkYankee
December 8th, 2004, 04:16 PM
I cant wait until I move to New York! Im excited to explore all the neighborhoods in all 5 boroughs! :)

alex ballard
December 8th, 2004, 05:06 PM
The nicest areas by far are almost all of Queens & Staten Island, Bay Ridge/Bensonhurst/Gravesend, Downtown Brooklyn vicinity, Riverdale, Throgs Neck, and All of Manhattan. The outer boroughs need love too.

gonzea
December 8th, 2004, 05:12 PM
There is NO right answer!

Is this a trick question?

Schadenfrau
December 8th, 2004, 06:23 PM
How exactly did you come up with those answers, Alex Ballard?

alex ballard
December 8th, 2004, 07:25 PM
How exactly did you come up with those answers, Alex Ballard?

I am from Queens and I can tell you that Queens is the closest your gonna get to utopia on this earth. You have city and country and suburb all mixed in one and just about every area is wonderful (except parts of SE queens and the projects). Many Brooklynites have raved about Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst, and Gravesend. Actually, I find the vast majority of Brooklyn to be wonderful (there are some VERY big exceptions). Staten Island is quite and peaceful. I have been through the areas of the bronx I listed and they look spectaular. As for Manhattan, I shouldn't have to comment there :wink: .

NewYorkYankee
December 8th, 2004, 09:02 PM
What is country about Queens? :?

ZippyTheChimp
December 8th, 2004, 09:26 PM
Bayside

222nd St
http://www.pbase.com/zippythechimp/image/22636717.jpg

223rd St
http://www.pbase.com/zippythechimp/image/22636668.jpg

billyblancoNYC
December 8th, 2004, 11:38 PM
And those Bayside shots are about 10 blocks from a 22 min LIRR ride into Penn Station. Not bad at all.

AmeriKenArtist
December 8th, 2004, 11:43 PM
.......White Street and West Broadway. I used to sit outside the bar, three tables accomodated a small crowd. The area was soooooo quiet. A small two-story buiding stood on the west side of W. B'way. I always imagined living in that second floor flat. The view down the street toward WTC was awesome! The towers loomed up from the distant perspective. How I would love to live there, sitting on that corner, sipping on a brew and remembering.

December 9th, 2004, 05:46 AM
I'll vote for any place close to a station with two or more subway lines. That way, home is home, and I can get to any of the other New Yorky places. :wink:

ZippyTheChimp
December 9th, 2004, 08:23 AM
.......White Street and West Broadway. I used to sit outside the bar, three tables accomodated a small crowd. The area was soooooo quiet. A small two-story buiding stood on the west side of W. B'way. I always imagined living in that second floor flat. The view down the street toward WTC was awesome! The towers loomed up from the distant perspective. How I would love to live there, sitting on that corner, sipping on a brew and remembering.
The Liquor Store Bar (in the 70s, part of the building was a liquor store, the rest was a barber shop). One of the oldest buildings in New York - 1804).
http://www.pbase.com/zippythechimp/image/18990641.jpg

http://www.liquorstore.net/history3.html

Lower West Broadway was once called Chapel St and continued north past Canal St where it was called Laurens St. The street is quiet because it was cut off by Tribeca Park. I think this was done when 6th Ave was cut through the area.

The bar recently closed. It must be a rent issue, because it always appeared to do well.

AmeriKenArtist
December 9th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Wow Zippy! Did you have that in your archives?

ZippyTheChimp
December 9th, 2004, 03:50 PM
A photo from my PBase page. Several Tribeca photos are here. (http://www.pbase.com/zippythechimp/tribeca)

Many places in Tribeca from my bar hopping days are gone. There was a good place around the corner (Vietnamese restuarant now) called McGoo's - great French onion soup.

Greenwich Tavern on Lispenard
Vic's
Gallway Bay
Smokestacks Lightning on 6th and Canal
Zum Bruder and Three Roses on the north side of Canal.

AmeriKenArtist
December 10th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Great pics of Tribeca. Do you have more photos posted here?

ZippyTheChimp
December 10th, 2004, 02:36 PM
Anything you would find here is on the website

but...

Go here. (http://search.pbase.com/search)

Search tribeca. You will get plenty.

AmeriKenArtist
January 4th, 2005, 01:48 AM
Great idea 212! Now pick a few locations with just two subway lines.

dwsfl
January 4th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Waw Zippy I love your pics on the PBase site!
One of my good intentions for the new year is visiting NYC and now by seeing all these gorgeous pics I'm even more certain I will make that good intention true! Thanks.

:wink:

clubBR
April 10th, 2007, 04:10 AM
Tribecca, Manhattan is the nicest area in NYC.
Sunnyside, Queens for a nice family oriented feel.
Midtown South for tourists.
& Central Park!

Front_Porch
April 10th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Tribeca is the most expensive area in NYC -- I posted the numbers on the Tribeca thread.

It's kid-friendly and still feels urban.

But nicest? I might go for a quiet, leafy West Village street -- like Morton or Bank -- that's what you see on Sex in the City.

ali r.
{downtown broker}

ASchwarz
April 10th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Tribeca is the most expensive area in NYC -- I posted the numbers on the Tribeca thread.

It's kid-friendly and still feels urban.

But nicest? I might go for a quiet, leafy West Village street -- like Morton or Bank -- that's what you see on Sex in the City.

ali r.
{downtown broker}

Tribeca isn't really the most expensive neighborhood.

The neighborhood is very small and consists almost entirely of recently converted/built loft condos, which skews the numbers. Other neighborhoods have more non-loft units, more coops, more older conversions.

If one does an apples to apples comparison of similar types of apartments, the corridor along Fifth, Madison and Park on the Upper East Side is the most expensive in NYC.

Tribeca isn't even the most expensive neighborhood downtown. I think SoHo and parts of the West Village and maybe lower Fifth Avenue get more per square foot.

MikeKruger
May 15th, 2007, 09:15 AM
West Village and Tudor City.

MikeKruger
May 15th, 2007, 09:22 AM
as for buying a place, no matter how much I love downtown I would never buy there because sometime in the near future the global water level is bound to increase and flood lower Manhattan....

So if I won the lotto it would have to be Park Avenue for me!

User Name
May 15th, 2007, 09:39 AM
When I win the lottery (gotta be positive about these things) I'm planning on setting myself up with a nice 3 or 4 bedroom, water and skyline view, within a half block of a subway station, that is also close to a green space. Something in the 4.5 to 12.5 million dollar range.

I'd prefer downtown (Tribeca, BPC, Financial District) but would also consider Chelsea or maybe even the UWS around 81st, even though those would most likely lack the water view I desire.

Either that or I'd lease a floor (or at least part of one) in 7WTC, it'd be cool to live there and watch the rebirth of the rest of the WTC buildings.

Front_Porch
May 15th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Tribeca isn't really the most expensive neighborhood.

If one does an apples to apples comparison of similar types of apartments, the corridor along Fifth, Madison and Park on the Upper East Side is the most expensive in NYC.

Tribeca isn't even the most expensive neighborhood downtown. I think SoHo and parts of the West Village and maybe lower Fifth Avenue get more per square foot.

Oh, I just saw this.

From Jonathan Miller's Matrix blog in March (emphasis his):

"The 10021 zip code has the most sales within its borders every year. Its not the highest priced zip code in Manhattan but contains many of the highest priced sales. Tribeca’s 10013 was first with an average sales price of $2,392,261 was in 2006. The zip code 10021 was 6th on our list at $1,542,173. Why? Because it cuts across a large swath of housing stock, east to west with the more expensive properties generally found closer to Central Park."

An apples-to-apples comparison is impossible because there aren't tightly run hyper-exclusive co-ops (what Tom Wolfe famously called "The Good Buildings") downtown.

However, in the Forbes.com survey of the country's most expensive zip codes, which are numbers Miller also provided, 10013 (Tribeca with a bit of SoHo) is the twelfth most expensive zip code in the country, and 10007, also downtown, is 19th. The Upper East Side's 10028, is 150th, and 10021, the classic Upper East Zip where Mayor Bloomberg lives, is 255th. 10011, which includes lower Fifth ("the Gold Coast"), is 341st.

Those are median sales prices but the per square foot data works out the same way. That's not to say that the Duane Park Building in Tribeca is a better building than 1040 Fifth on the Upper East Side -- it's not -- but that when you attempt to use zip codes as a proxy for neighborhoods, the data skews in favor of downtown.

ali r.
{downtown broker}

kliq6
May 15th, 2007, 04:46 PM
The answer to this is in the eye of the beholder

clubBR
May 16th, 2007, 04:39 AM
Nicest area of NYC:
Morris Park, Bronx

Alonzo-ny
May 16th, 2007, 07:36 AM
where is BOCoCa

User Name
May 16th, 2007, 08:19 AM
where is BOCoCa
BoCoCa (Boerum Hill, Cobble Hill and Carroll Gardens)

Want to know more visit: Brooklyn101 (http://vrbx.com/brooklyn/)

Alonzo-ny
May 16th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Did you come up with BoCoCa? I like!

clubBR
May 17th, 2007, 11:21 AM
BoCoCa was created by real estate agents

The_Other_White_Meat
May 31st, 2007, 02:11 PM
Most definitely Greenwich Village. And Times Square for the TOURISTY New York, if you're into that sort of thing.

Yep
June 1st, 2007, 08:22 PM
For me Times Square is the nicest place in New York. Being there is like being in the center of earth. It's hard to explain, it's an unique feeling. For those who where never there here is a video I did last time I went there.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/523492/times_square_at_night/

Bye and have fun in the city that never sleeps!

sirhcman
June 1st, 2007, 10:21 PM
I stayed in BPC my last 2 visits and simply love it!

clubBR
June 2nd, 2007, 02:18 AM
For me Times Square is the nicest place in New York. Being there is like being in the center of earth.

TRUE.

Alonzo-ny
June 2nd, 2007, 10:34 AM
Its also like being stuck in the middle of ten thousands tourists walking so slow you're forced to walk on the road in traffic.

brianac
June 28th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Upper West Side for me.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z245/brianaclift/js1024_Pictures_from_small_card_-7.jpg

HansonNY
June 29th, 2007, 11:53 PM
For me it's a tie between the Upper East Side and West Village.

June 30th, 2007, 02:27 AM
NoHo. Especially when the last remaining parking lots disappear.

MidtownGuy
June 30th, 2007, 08:04 AM
BoCoCa is probably one of the most idiotic of the real estate terms being coined by these parasites. It sounds so stupid! PLEASE don't give any more traction to these labels by repeating them. Most of them will never, ever catch on. Thankfully.
I suppose there is a NoCoCa too?

clubBR
June 30th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Can you believe theres a NoLita, NoHa, and SoBro?

Ninjahedge
July 2nd, 2007, 01:51 PM
Can you believe theres a NoLita, NoHa, and SoBro?

No and No....

So?