PDA

View Full Version : Religion in Times Square?

krulltime
November 30th, 2003, 03:32 PM
I was wondering...have you guys ever seen or heard of a billboard advertising religion on times square? if you had what religion?

I would think that religion will be all over this area advertising religion already. I mean doesn't millions of people come to times square a year to look at billboards? With so many 'money making' religions in the USA or the world...well...

Gulcrapek
November 30th, 2003, 03:49 PM
I've never seen any... or heard of any... maybe someone else has.

Jehovah's Witnesses have quite a bit of advertising on their buildings in Brooklyn Heights though.

dbhstockton
November 30th, 2003, 09:53 PM
There's the Times Square Church (in an old theater) on either 50th or 51st. And the various apocalyptic cults and anti-abortion activists preaching at any given time. Oh yeah, and Scientology around the corner from the Mariot Marquis.

krulltime
December 2nd, 2003, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the info guys...

Oh Yeah! the Scientology church...Now that church knows where to be and where the money is. Have you noticed that they are always in spots where they lure unaware business and tourists people alike. I happened to go in by accident as I had in other businesses in the Times Square area. I was there for a while until I find out what they really were. But have I noticed them in other businesses areas in other cities aswell. Makes you think....

I have heard a story not to while ago where a church had asked in Times Square to put up a billboard in the area and they were rejected by the owners... any idea what church was it and what building was it?

thanks for any info.

NoyokA
December 2nd, 2003, 04:24 PM
The Times Square Church puts on quite a show! Even if your not religious its worth a visit and its free...

billyblancoNYC
December 3rd, 2003, 12:20 AM
How so?

NoyokA
December 3rd, 2003, 03:25 PM
If I ever had a reason for visiting Times Square this is it! The church is a former theater, the architecture is appropriate for a place of worship. And packed in side are people from all walks of life, the people are themselves part of the experience, they are brought together, which you don’t often find in NYC. Once the show begins, and oh the singing, oh that singing! I promise it’s the most fun you’ll ever have at church, north of the southern Baptists Choir's, even if you’re not religious or just uptight I promise that you’ll join in with the festivities.

krulltime
December 3rd, 2003, 06:43 PM
So what is The Times Square Church anyway? What religion do they practice?

It sounds like a place on my list to visit. It looks like you managed to enjoyed without someone all over you telling you their religion stuff.

but thanks for sharing your experiences, Stern. :wink:

NoyokA
December 3rd, 2003, 07:02 PM
I believe the Times Square Church is interdenominational.

colaloca
April 2nd, 2004, 09:57 PM
here is a good amount of religion on times square....

http://www.timessquare.com/movies/gods/

Dunn
January 11th, 2006, 09:43 PM
I've visited Times Square Church for the very first time in September of 1994 and was really surprised at how great the services were; I urge anyone visiting Times Square to visit- they have services on Sundays at 10 a.m., 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. and it's always standing room only. Corner of Broadway and 51st.
Enjoy!!

Dunn

Fabrizio
January 12th, 2006, 04:57 AM
That theatre was the Mark Hellinger, the original home to "My Fair Lady" , "the Sound of Music", "A Funny thing Happenned on the way to the Forum". I was sad to see it become a church but at least it has been restored and "saved".

A little known architectural gem off of Times Square is "Smoky Mary´s". It is a must see. On West 46th since 1895... older than the theatres. One of the most enchanting interiors in all of NYC.

http://www.nyc-architecture.com/MID/MID163.htm

Best organ in New York!
http://newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/arts/music/features/461/