PDA

View Full Version : ATTENTION: NY PHOTOGRAPHERS

NoyokA
December 17th, 2003, 03:10 PM
Attention all photographers your service is appreciated.

Over the summer there was an attempt between Zoe and myself to create a photographic NY Building Database. This collaboration was halted due to our busy schedules. While we are still interested in creating such a database it is important that the cooperative is larger. I acknowledge that our schedules are crammed and free time is valuable, but we all can contribute to the Database and create something worthwhile. I am not asking anyone to photograph “Manhattan” I am asking for volunteers to take pictures whenever opportunity avails. One building entry a month, all of which is 3 pictures, is not too much to ask, and would really get the site going. Interested parties would have a login and password and would upload the pictures directly to the server, it goes without saying that your pictures will be accredited. I will write the html and manage the technical information and formats.

There is one requirement:
All interested parties must have a camera with atleast 3.2 megapixels. I am aiming for a high standard, and as such 4 megapixels would be optimal.

Here is a sample page:

http://a.1asphost.com/guide/the_future.html

Who’s interested?

Gulcrapek
December 17th, 2003, 03:17 PM
I am, but armed with only a 2.0 mp. :x

NoyokA
December 17th, 2003, 03:28 PM
Seeing as I am giving credit for the photography pixels aren’t overly important. The quality will be lower, but I suppose you wont get a unified look when it’s a larger collaboration of different photographers, camera’s, in/experience, etc. etc. So whereas I would recommend a higher mp camera for some of my own interest and also as appreciation for your own efforts, beggars can’t be too choosy. While it is recommend that you have a 4-mp camera, it is not necessary. Ghul your photography will be greatly appreciated, and I will be contacting you through private message.

Gulcrapek
December 17th, 2003, 03:40 PM
Ok. You're welcome to take any stuff from my current album too.

Jasonik
December 17th, 2003, 03:51 PM
I'll try to help. I'm usually in New York once a month so I should be able to make the quota. (4 Mp)

Re. the sample page; are those curly steel bits trellises for vines?

They look like places to lock up a hover-bike.

ZippyTheChimp
December 17th, 2003, 08:48 PM
Is the site going to be used to display photos on a monitor, or as a source of high quality prints?

1. monitor: You don't need that high a resolution. A 4.3 mpix image in 4/3 aspect ratio would be 2400 pixels x 1800 pixels. The way it is displayed is determined by the resolution of the monitor. If the monitor resolution is 2400 x 1800, the image will fit the screen exactly. If you display an image of 4800 x 3600 on that monitor, it will not have any greater detail, but be four times larger than the monitor and difficult to view.

The advantage of a large mpix format is the ability to crop out the image without losing detail. The photos I post here are taken with a 2.1 mpix camera. The images are sized 1600 x 1200. I save a master copy at full resolution, and size a second copy down to 800 x 600. That's only 480,000 mpix.

2. Printer: If the printer is high resolution, increasing the resolution of the image will increase the detail of the photo, but reduce the image size.
A 1600 x 1200 taken with a resolution of 72 will produce a printed image of 22" x 16", but not of good detail. Increasing the resolution to 150 will produce a print of 10 x 8 and greater detail. The obvious advantage is to start with a large image.

dbhstockton
December 17th, 2003, 09:26 PM
I'm interested, but my input would probably be sporatic. I've got 4 MP's.

NoyokA
December 18th, 2003, 05:11 PM
Is the site going to be used to display photos on a monitor, or as a source of high quality prints?

1. monitor: You don't need that high a resolution. A 4.3 mpix image in 4/3 aspect ratio would be 2400 pixels x 1800 pixels. The way it is displayed is determined by the resolution of the monitor. If the monitor resolution is 2400 x 1800, the image will fit the screen exactly. If you display an image of 4800 x 3600 on that monitor, it will not have any greater detail, but be four times larger than the monitor and difficult to view.

The advantage of a large mpix format is the ability to crop out the image without losing detail. The photos I post here are taken with a 2.1 mpix camera. The images are sized 1600 x 1200. I save a master copy at full resolution, and size a second copy down to 800 x 600. That's only 480,000 mpix.

2. Printer: If the printer is high resolution, increasing the resolution of the image will increase the detail of the photo, but reduce the image size.
A 1600 x 1200 taken with a resolution of 72 will produce a printed image of 22" x 16", but not of good detail. Increasing the resolution to 150 will produce a print of 10 x 8 and greater detail. The obvious advantage is to start with a large image.

I am no expert on digital photography and I was advised that mp’s were unimportant. However comparing the photography on this forum there is a quality difference. When digital photography is resized the quality is higher, and when the original is considerably larger than my monitor size, the quality becomes all that much better.

Im happy that there is an interest in this endeavor, I will be contacting all interested parties via private message. Hopefully we can start putting the site together immediately.

maroualle
December 19th, 2003, 01:50 AM
Sorry, i can't help you....I'm miles away from NY and even if i just bought a new Sony digital camera: the zoom is not that good.
Note, if you want some pictures from brussel, just tell me, the quality will be 5.0 Mb

NoyokA
December 22nd, 2003, 10:42 AM
Did anyone get my private message?

Jasonik
December 22nd, 2003, 10:47 AM
YES, I'll get you some photos following the holidays.

ZippyTheChimp
December 22nd, 2003, 11:18 AM
Stern,

Yes, after the holidays. Do you still want max size? I can send you 1600 x 800, file size over 1 meg.

Since I've been good all year (unless a fat guy in a red suit reads this forum), there may be a new camera on the way. The originals will be over 3000x2000 and several megs.

NoyokA
December 22nd, 2003, 11:34 AM
Great GUYS!

Remember whenever you do have photography all you need to do is upload it to the server. Afterwards send me a private message with the file names. If there are atleast 3 pictures of a building I will write a building page for it. If there are more than 3 tell me which ones you want to use.

As for the size of the pictures, each picture will be resized to a height of 551 pixels. I resize my own pictures to save on memory, and I would recommend that each user do the same. If you send me a fullsize picture it will be resized using html, while it doesnt always create the best results I will be using the same aspect ratio.

Hope this answers some questions.

NoyokA
December 23rd, 2003, 11:47 AM
Right now there are 5 buildings out of 361. Its a start....

What do you guys think of the site format?

http://a.1asphost.com/guide/

Gulcrapek
December 23rd, 2003, 12:02 PM
I like it. There are still some typos in the top list though, specifically Williamsburg(h) Savings Bank... ;)

NoyokA
December 23rd, 2003, 12:15 PM
Thanks Ill get around to that eventually. If you look carefully there are a lot of mistakes in that list. What do you expect I got it from a skyscrapers.com editor.....j.k.
Marshall Gerometta (a.k.a The Skyscraper Guru) is a really good guy.

Ninjahedge
December 23rd, 2003, 02:05 PM
Site format is kind of grainy and hard to find stuff....

I don't know if I got a full load, but it looks like the bottom was cut off. I kept wanting to scroll down past the splash photo to see if there was anything else...

I think if you cleaned up the selection tags on the right it would be clearer.

As for the listings, they are OK. They look generated though.....

NoyokA
December 23rd, 2003, 02:16 PM
What would you suggest?

Ninjahedge
December 23rd, 2003, 03:27 PM
I am looking at the guide page, and things like the topic headers are difficult to distinguish from the selectables (It almost looks like they SHOULD get highlighted. I tried clicking on them several times.)

I would either renove the left bar on the "New Projects" and "Community" boards (the charcoal lines make it look like it just did not load completely) or change the color or background on them.

You culd also find different ways to have them highlighted. If you want, make a test page with a bunch of them on it and give us the link. I will let you know which ones I like the best...

As for that photo, you need some rom on the bottom, with links either to the main page, or default places (contact, etc). You may have it elsewhere, but people are kind of used to having that stuff down there.

A gradient background from black on left to that grey/brown you have on the right would look really good on that page....

You may also want to experiment with giving that photo a shadow. Sometimes it works nicely, other times it looks like you just grabbed it from MS Word....

Just some thoughts.....

NoyokA
December 23rd, 2003, 06:04 PM
Those are some good suggestions. Here's my updated homepage:

http://a.1asphost.com/guide/index.html

maroualle
December 24th, 2003, 06:21 AM
Great website, user friendly and good performance in general.....

HROkabe
January 25th, 2004, 03:05 AM
Greetings everybody, my name is Rick and I am new to this forum. I was recommended from a friend, "TLOZ Link." I am currently a freshman at college, an avid New Yorker, and a passionate photographer, which brings me to the secod topic in response to Stern's request.

I currently use a 3.2 mega-pixel digital camera and would like to contribute to his digital photography collection during spare time.

Rick

NoyokA
January 25th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Thanks, Rick, that's just what I like to hear. Im glad that there is a continual interest. Ill get in touch with you and get you started.

Hopefully some warmer weather can jump start the cause and people can get out there with their camera's.

Gulcrapek
January 25th, 2004, 04:26 PM
I have a lot of stuff that I haven't posted here, of St. John and Riverside Church. Most of them are crap but there are a few good ones of the Riverside nave and parts of St. John. When I get un-lazy I'll make a thread.

TLOZ Link5
January 25th, 2004, 07:35 PM
I need to learn how to re-size my pictures :?

NoyokA
January 25th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Yah TLOZ. Your pics are exceptional after resizing. Get yourself a hold of Photoshop or Image Compose and you can use an aspect ratio.

If you have pictures that can be used for a building page Ill resize the pictures in a snap, using html.

NoyokA
January 26th, 2004, 08:42 PM
Gulcrapek makes his debut with:

The Millenium Hilton Hotel

http://e.1asphost.com/guide498/Millenium.html

Westin E-Walk Hotel Tower

http://e.1asphost.com/guide498/Westin.html

Time Warner Center

http://e.1asphost.com/guide498/TWC.html

Gulcrapek
January 27th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Nothing they haven't seen before ;)

They resized all jaggedy... =/

NoyokA
January 27th, 2004, 02:49 PM
yup. It would do us both a benefit if you would do the resizings. If resized the pictures must be under 600 pixels and more than 500.

NYatKNIGHT
January 27th, 2004, 05:47 PM
I keep getting "Cannot find Server" message when I click those links - is it me?

NoyokA
January 27th, 2004, 05:59 PM
The most likely scenario is that those pages exceeded there allocated bandwidth.

NoyokA
February 6th, 2004, 09:09 PM
As the database is quickly expanding with member photography I must now request that all photos be resized anywhere’s from 500 to 600 pixels. As bandwidth and space is limited, as of today this is a requirement. I will resize all members existing photography. And please feel free to continue contributions and in concern of resizing.

Thanks in Advance.

NoyokA
June 11th, 2004, 06:11 PM
The reason my site hasnt been updated in months is in addition to server trouble my old computer has since quit on me.

I am still interested in relaunching my site once I get a hold of the neccesary software, would members still be interested in contributing?

If I recieve no response, I will just let the site die on its own accord.

Ninjahedge
June 14th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Um, I will have to re-read your post there stern...

But bump for attension none-the-less.....

Gulcrapek
June 14th, 2004, 08:14 PM
No, one day when I have the time, probably soon, I'll resize a crapload of photos and put them in.

flat head
June 16th, 2004, 08:56 AM
I simply can't wait! for that...

Eugenius
June 17th, 2004, 05:27 PM
I've got hundreds of photos, and no place to upload them (no place that is free and has unlimited bandwidth, that is). If you plan to resurrect the project, my 4mp Powershot G2 is at your service. I am also considering getting a 6mp digital SLR, in which case, expect even more photos.

NoyokA
June 17th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Great! Once I get a hold of the software I need; Dreamweaver and Microsoft Image Composer, I'll start things up again.