-Very car oriented once you get outside the immediate Metro user areas
-buildings that take up entire blocks
-terrible city retail
-lacking in creative architecture for the most part
-terrible mass transit system once you leave the city

Let's talk about all this!!!

TLOZ Link5
January 10th, 2004, 04:29 PM
I'm worried about the crime situation in Washington. Compared to the statistics of other capitals of industrialized nations, it looks like a dodge city. Overall the city is not much more dangerous than Dallas or LA, but its murder rate is horrendous: about seven times NYC's rate.

NoyokA
January 10th, 2004, 08:08 PM
In addition to everything mentioned above, the city population is actually decreasing. And you could, like I did, stay across from the federal reserve and be in the middle of a violent "ghetto".

TLOZ Link5
January 11th, 2004, 04:10 PM
In addition to everything mentioned above, the city population is actually decreasing. And you could, like I did, stray across from the federal reserve and be in the middle of a violent "ghetto".

And from what my sister, a Georgetown senior, has told me, New York Avenue is in one of the city's less desirable wards...

STT757
January 12th, 2004, 09:00 PM
I used to live in Washington,

The Metro is so easy to use but there are a couple of things they can do to really make it a great operation, build a line through Georgetown and then build the extension to Tysons Corner, Dulles Airport and Reston.

DC has some great neighborhoods, some of the worst neighborhoods feature homes with some of the best architecture. They are beautiful, the problem is that the city is so poorly run. The biggest problem is it's identity, who runs DC the Congress or the residents?..

They should either gain State hood and get the representation they need or be incorporated in Maryland, the begging to Congress for funding is not working.

fioco
January 13th, 2004, 01:09 AM
But will Congress give up their toy? For instance, Congress decides when and where to build firehouses, not the city. I lived in suburban Maryland and was dismayed by the city's plight, made only worse by a slum lord manager with a tax free ticket.