PDA

View Full Version : Farewell, Gasoline Alley; the changing face of Noho

billyblancoNYC
February 6th, 2004, 01:30 AM
Farewell, Gasoline Alley; the changing face of Noho

By Keith Crandell
http://www.thevillager.com/villager_40/farewellgasolinealley.html

On the former site of a car wash, a new office building with retail space is going up at Broadway and Houston St. At least residents no longer have to look at Calvin Klein ads of semi-naked young men with their zippers open posted on the building behind the lot.

New people are coming into Noho and more are on the way. I must admit, I have yet to see one of the most famous of my new Noho neighbors, Britney Spears, the pop singer notable for her romances and her role with the Mouseketeers on the Disney Channel so many years ago, waiting for the #1 bus on Lafayette near Bond. And therein lies the challenge. I will get back to Ms. Spears in a moment.

Let me explain first that Noho, the little trapezoidal neighborhood north of Houston St. between Mercer and the grungy old Bowery, extending up to Astor Pl., has for years served the automotive needs of its ritzier neighbors in Greenwich Village and elsewhere. But are things ever changing. Noho is no longer Gasoline Alley!

All over Noho, the businesses that serviced motorists are vanishing. Parking lots are disappearing. So are gas stations. Gone are the repair shops. Bye-bye car washes!

Take a stroll with me through Noho. We’ll begin at the northeast corner of Houston and Broadway, where the most garish car wash and gas station in the Western world (complete with whales spouting a rainbow of bubbles) has given way for construction of an office and showroom building certain to be more staid and dignified. Go someplace else to wash up and gas up.

We walk east past Crosby St. where the tiniest of parking lots survives. It holds spaces for, perhaps, eight cars. Across Lafayette, the noisy shop where automobile engines were repaired is now closed, to be replaced by a residential building?

We head north on Lafayette to the dinky triangle formed by the confluence of Lafayette, Bleecker and Mulberry Sts. A few drivers once parked their cars here. Now the site is occupied by a clothing store and a mini food shop.

Up Lafayette, one block north of Bleecker, we come to the corner of Bond St, a short street extending just two blocks from Broadway to the Bowery. On the northwest corner of Lafayette and Bond, across from the residence for homeless women with mental challenges, stands a billboard of notable ugliness urging neighbors and passersby to drink plenty of Jose Cuervo. For years, the site had housed a gas station and auto repair shop. It has since been sold to a hotel entrepreneur for a huge amount of money.

Walk east on Bond St. toward the Bowery. On the south side is a parking garage, soon to be replaced — if the developer has his wishes — by a 10-story (or so) residential tower. Across the street, on the north side, on the outdoor lot where scores of car owners have parked for a quarter-century, another residential tower will rise. Half a block away, at the corner of Bond and the Bowery opposite CBGB’s and the Amato Opera, a shabby little gas station favored by cab drivers has been replaced by a small (six-story) condo where you can buy a floor for $1.4 million. (Would you believe that a home on the Bowery could ever sell for a million dollars!) Across the Bowery, next to the Amato, N.Y.U. has replaced a one-time parking lot — and later, garden center — with one of its ubiquitous new dormitories.

We stroll north on the Bowery. At the corner of E. Third, the old gas station/auto repair shop, is being replaced by a new residential tower. At Astor Pl., across from the Cooper Union, ground has just been broken for a new 22-story condo tower on the site of what had been a parking lot since shortly after World War II.

Comes now the first obvious question: What’s to become of the local drivers who relied on the parking, the gas stations, the car washes, the repair services of Noho?
I have a dream: That people coming to Noho will come by public transportation, thereby cleansing the air and maiming fewer pedestrians. Public transportation in Noho is splendid. The 6 train on the Lexington Ave. line stops at Bleecker St. The old I.N.D. line, with its heavily used F line, stops at Lafayette. The M.T.A. has made upgrading of the Bleecker and Lafayette stations a top priority, including disabled accessibility and complete interchangeability for the two lines. (About time!) What’s more, the area is well served by bus lines along Broadway, Lafayette and the Bowery (which becomes Third Ave. to the north.) So weep not for local drivers. There are plenty of good options. This writer has managed to live here for more than 30 years without a car and most of my neighbors do without as well.

Comes now the second obvious question: How will the residents of the hundreds of new, expensive homes fare with no place to park or gas up or get their flats fixed? Will the folks who fork over a million dollars for a condo at the corner of the Bowery and Bond be willing to ride the bus home at night, even if it stops right at their corner? Will they be persuaded to adopt a different lifestyle?

Some will be delighted to learn that public transportation is so handy and offers an economical way to get around town. Perhaps getting rid of the family flivver will help them pay the steep cost of buying into Noho.

Ah, but many of the folks who spend a million dollars or more for a co-op will not really care about saving on their local transportations costs.

Which brings me back to Britney Spears, who I recently found out lives, fittingly, in the building above Tower Records. I welcome her to Noho. I hope she gets over her breakup with Justin Timberlake. I hope she registers to vote, setting a splendid example for young people. I hope she signs up for the Noho Neighborhood Association. Most of all, I hope to see her at the bus stop. She would certainly liven up the wait outside Marty’s second-hand shop on Lafayette. More important, she might even make riding public transportation chic.

krulltime
February 6th, 2004, 10:56 AM
Why don't they build new buildings with parking garages. That way, there will be no need for surface garages parking option and peolpe don't have to worry of letting go of their cars. :wink:

billyblancoNYC
February 6th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Thank you. Every multi-level or surface lot shoud be moved underground, and developed on. MAJOR incentives should be given to the land owners and possible developers to make it happen. More offices, retail and/or residences, same parking... good for developers, good for land owners (let them run the parking) and good for the city.

lofter1
July 17th, 2006, 10:13 AM
Chuck Close tries to keep walls from closing in on him in Noho

http://www.thevillager.com/villager_167/close.gif

Villager photo by Jefferson Siegel
Chuck Close, on Bond St., shows the narrow, 6-to-10-foot-wide strip of
property by his building where a developer wants to build a retail space
that would block Close’s windows, which were original to Close’s building,
the artist says.

THE VILLAGER (http://www.thevillager.com/villager_167/chuckclosetriesto.html)
By Lincoln Anderson
Volume 76, Number 8
July 12 - 18, 2006

Renowned portrait painter Chuck Close has lived in an array of loft spaces in the Village area since 1967. He lived with other artists in a building New York University owned on W. Third St., but eventually the university threw everyone out. Then he lived on Prince St. in Soho for a while, then on Crosby St. But his loft in Noho at Bond and Lafayette Sts., where he has resided, at least part time, and worked for the last 18 years, has been the studio of his dreams.

But now, he fears, his ideal workspace will be ruined if a developer wins approval to build a seven-story residential condo building on Great Jones and Lafayette Sts. with a thin extension running down Lafayette St. that will drastically reduce his natural light.

Close is a quadriplegic, which makes finding a suitable studio a challenge. His Bond St. space is on the ground floor, so he can roll his electric wheelchair in and out without any problem. It has excellent northern light, thanks to original skylights at the uptown end that had been blotted out with tarpaper when he moved in, but which he uncovered. There is also western light from two windows on his studio’s western wall — again, windows that were original to the building, he says, probably once windows for men’s and women’s bathrooms when the place was a sweatshop. His canvases are stretched in the basement and Close raises them through a slit in the floor via a pneumatic lift he operates with a foot pedal. With the foot pedal, he raises and lowers and pivots the paintings as he needs when working on them. He paints directly beneath the skylights.

The setup works well for Close, and he turns out about four portraits per year, using his signature “incremental” style, in which the portraits are composed of large pixels of pigment or shapes. The paintings sell for “a lot,” he said, “probably an obscene amount.”

If the new project is built per its application, Close says he will probably have to leave the city.

“This can’t be easily duplicated,” he said. “If I lose my light, I’m gone.”

The new project is seeking two variances: to allow 14 residential units; and for retail on the ground floor, including the extension that would wrap around on Lafayette St. This thin leg of the proposed new building would be flush against Close’s west side windows, blocking them entirely. The main part of the new building, which Close says would be about 10 feet away from his building, would effectively put his studio at the bottom of “a pit,” meaning his light from that side would be cut severely.

Until a few years ago, the low-rise Jones Diner was on the project site at Great Jones St., while a juice bar and a shack that a reformed drug dealer turned furniture dealer sold out of were on Lafayette St. But, despite a fierce community battle to landmark the old diner, these were all cleared for the new project, being developed by Olmstead Properties and designed by BKSK architects.

Across the street from Close’s place, a new residential project by a group of investment bankers is rising, while further down Bond St. hotelier Ian Schrager is constructing a swank new condo building. The neighborhood’s gentrification is accelerating, and artists are losing out, Close says. He and a group of other artist tenants, primarily painters, with one dancer, all live and work in 20 Bond St., a seven-story building, under Soho and Noho’s special artist-in-residence zoning. The artists saved the neighborhood when no one wanted to live there, but now they’re being condo’ed out, Close says.

“Nobody wanted this neighborhood. We saved it,” he said on Tuesday, showing a visitor around his space. “Ian Schrager wants to build here now because of the cachet.”

Other notable artists, including Robert Rauschenberg, Robert Mapplethorpe, Frank Stella, Brice Marden, Jean-Michel Basquiat and Robert Franks, have also made or continue to make Noho their home, Close wrote in a July 7 letter to the Board of Standards and Appeals, which will consider the variance applications at its July 18 meeting. Community Board 2’s Zoning Committee will consider the applications on July 13.

With hands that he doesn’t have full control of, clasping the piece of paper as if with flippers, the artist displayed an 1885 map illustrating how the former Lafayette Pl. used to stop at Great Jones St. At some later point, Lafayette Pl. was extended south as Lafayette St., punching through both Great Jones and Bond Sts., clearing out a townhouse next to 20 Bond St. in the process. But this townhouse did not extend as far into the lot as Close’s old industrial building, and the map shows that the buildings shared a common courtyard into which Close’s western windows faced.

Close rolled outside to look at the proposed building site from the sidewalk.

“Oh Beth, the portrait of the Dalai Lama has come in,” he noted while exiting to his assistant of a cardboard box by the door. Close also takes photographs. The Dalai Lama would like him to sign the portrait he took of him.

“My windows were never lot-line windows,” Close said, now out on Lafayette St. Lot-line windows are windows that are installed when a neighboring building that would have previously blocked them is demolished. “The outline of the old townhouse [that was demolished to create Lafayette St.] can still be seen on the side of my building,” he stressed. This old outline stops right before it comes to Close’s western windows. (It also happens to bear the faded traces of an ad, painted later, for crankshafts “of distinction.”)

“You can see all the original lintels and window frames,” Close added of the windows on 20 Bond St.’s western wall, again stressing that these were not lot-line windows added later on.

So, Close argues, the thin leg of the new project should not be allowed to run down Lafayette St. past his western windows since this spot was an open courtyard in the past.

Jay Segal, the developer’s land-use attorney, said he and the owner and a representative of the developer recently met with Close and are seeing what they can do to make the project more acceptable to the artist.

“We are now evaluating what he had to say — and what the building’s other tenants had to say — and what our response will be. We have listened and will have a response,” Segal said.

As for Close contending they have no right to build on the thin strip of Lafayette St. by his two western windows, Segal said he isn’t familiar with the argument and hasn’t seen the map, but that it sounds like it doesn’t make sense.

“I don’t know any theory of law that says it would be illegal to build on our strip that we own,” Segal said. “I don’t know what he means. I don’t understand the argument. I don’t know why it would be relevant if there was another property there with another configuration.”

Segal also added that at some points the new building will be set back 20 feet from Close’s building — twice as far back as the artist claims. Also, he said, any new residential construction would need a variance, even for new artists’ joint work-live units, so the developers’ are within their rights to request nonartists’ housing.

Councilmember Alan Gerson, a strong supporter of the arts in his Lower Manhattan district, which includes Noho, said that because the new project is probably “on the cusp” of the Noho special manufacturing zone, it legally must include some portion for artistic use.

“Soho and Noho zoning has to be respected to protect the artistic character of those communities, despite the fact that it has been eroded in recent years,” Gerson said. Gerson said that the city must do more to insure that the artistic integrity of these Downtown neighborhoods is protected.

Gerson said he will be issuing a paper on Soho/Noho zoning and the lack of enforcement of the neighborhoods’ artist-in-residency requirement and will be holding a public forum on the same soon.

[I]© 2006 Community Media, LLC

lofter1
July 17th, 2006, 10:22 AM
For anyone interested ...

SAVE NOHO PETITION (http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/SaveNoho/)

The neighborhood north of Houston Street—known as Noho—has been overwhelmed during the past decade by a sudden surge of new development. While some developers have been respectful of the neighborhood's architectural history and artistic character, others have ignored these important considerations in their plans. Unless a concerted effort is made by community organizations and city agencies to curb Noho’s overdevelopment, the neighborhood will soon suffer an unprecedented shift in character and demographics.

Since the 1960’s, Noho has been—at its core—a home to New York’s emerging and established artists. Some of the most notable Noho artists have included: Robert Rauschenberg, Robert Mapplethorpe, Frank Stella, Ellen Stewart, Jean-Michel Basquiat, Robert Frank, Brice Marden, and Chuck Close. At the center of Noho’s current crisis is a proposed building at 363 Lafayette Street, which—under its current design configurations—would force one of Noho’s last living legends, Chuck Close, to move out of his Bond Street studio.

The proposed building at 363 Lafayette Street would wrap around the western wall of the adjacent building at 20 Bond Street—along a narrow wedge-shaped sliver of land (6 1/2 feet at its base and 15 feet at its crest)—blocking nearly all of Chuck Close’s light. In addition, the building at 363 Lafayette Street would also disrupt the work and lives of other residents of 20 Bond Street, unnecessarily blocking air and light on six floors along the northern and western sides.

We, the undersigned, oppose the proposed building at 363 Lafayette Street to the extent that its current design will make it impossible for Chuck Close to continue working in his studio and will disrupt the lives of residents in the adjacent building at 20 Bond Street. We implore the New York Board of Standards and Appeals and Community Board Two to deny Olmstead Properties’ variance application for 363 Lafayette Street until the building’s design has been altered to allow Chuck Close to continue working in his studio, maintaining light and air along the western wall of 20 Bond Street. The future of Noho's long-established character is at stake.

lofter1
July 17th, 2006, 10:53 AM
20 Bond St. to the right of the empty lot at 363 Lafayette -- the site in question at Bond / Lafayette:

http://www.mas.org/contentlibrary/363_Lafayette_St.jpg
(Photo/Patrick Moroney)
This block-long ad, at 363 Lafayette St., is illegal

http://www.mas.org/Advocacy/Architecture.cfm?ContID=1194&Full=Yes (http://www.mas.org/Advocacy/Architecture.cfm?ContID=1194&Full=Yes)

lofter1
July 17th, 2006, 11:02 AM
A recent DISAPPROVED application for the 363 Lafayette site at DOB (http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/JobDetailsServlet?requestid=2&allisn=0001206520&allboroughname=&allnumbhous=&allstrt).

Proposed: J-2 - RESIDENTIAL APT HOUSE
No. Stories: 6
Street Frontage:
Height: 79
Dwelling Units: 14
Total Gross Area of Building: 33,050 Sq. Ft.

Metes and Bounds:
Street Status: PUBLIC - LEGAL WIDTH 60

Beginning at a point on the EAST side of LAFAYETTE ST Distant Ft. SOUTH of the corner formed by the intersection of LAFAYETTE STREET and GREAT JONES STREET
RUNNING THENCE: S 201.02 FT.
THENCE: E 6.43 FT.
RUNNING THENCE: N 100 FT.
THENCE: E 25.62 FT.
RUNNING THENCE: N 100.16 FT.
THENCE: W 49.04 FT.

ULT. NO. OF STORIES 6

Comments for Document 01:

NOTE: this New Building application will require the following Expedited BSA Objections from the Chief Plan Examiner for Proposed Zoning Variances:
1) Residential Uses (UG2) Not Permitted in M1-5B Zoning District pursaunt
to ZR 42-14 (D).

2) Retail Uses (UG6) Not Permitted in M1-5B Zoning
District pursuant to ZR 42-14 (D).

3) There are no Residential Bulk Regulations for M1-5B Zoning Districts. BSA must provide.
Additional work types to be filed after BSA approval as subsequent documents under this NB
application.

lofter1
July 17th, 2006, 12:13 PM
This proposal for 363 Lafayette variances is on the Hearing Calendar at the Board of Standards and Appeals ( BSA (http://www.nyc.gov/html/bsa/html/hearing/hearing.shtml) )

Tuesday July 18 ...

BrooklynRider
July 18th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Although I enjoy his work, it is hard for me to be feeling great sympathy toward Chuck Close. It's one thing to protect struggling artists. I think we can all agree he is not a struggling artist.

lofter1
October 20th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Art of the deal:
Close, artists near accord on Noho project

http://www.thevillager.com/villager_181/artist.gif
Villager file photo
Artists at 20 Bond St. hope to reach
an agreement on development
of the neighboring lot.

thevillager.com (http://www.thevillager.com/villager_181/artofthedial.html)
By Lincoln Anderson
October 18-24, 2006

According to all parties involved, the developer of a new mixed-use building between Great Jones and Bond Sts. on Lafayette St. is close to reaching an agreement with Chuck Close and his fellow artist tenants in the adjacent building at 20 Bond St.

Close — considered one of the world’s most important living painters — and the other artists who own condos in the building feared the new project on an unusually shaped lot would block their light and air. The lot has a narrow strip along Lafayette St. that Close and others were concerned would block their west windows.

Last Thursday, Community Board 2’s Zoning and Housing Committee conditionally approved a new, modified design, provided that the artists and the developer finalize their agreement on the project, whose address is listed as 363 Lafayette St.

“We cut back on a lot of the building so it provided a lot more light into all of the artists’ studios. We pulled the building back,” said Jay Segal, attorney for the developer, speaking Monday. “At the board meeting, it was clear they supported our design. But the board said its resolution is contingent on our reaching a written agreement on 20 Bond.”

Michael Volonakis, a studio assistant to Close, relaying Close’s comments over the phone, said, “There’s an agreement about to be signed in a few days — but we can’t discuss the terms until it’s been signed.”

Close, who is a paraplegic, paints by strapping a paintbrush to his hand, while raising and pivoting his canvases with a hydraulic foot pedal. The studio is set up so he can raise newly stretched canvases from the basement via the foot pedal, and sports skylights at the north end above his workspace and windows on his western wall.

The application for the new building — which requires two variances — will go before the city’s Board of Standards and Appeals next Tuesday. Variances for the project are needed to allow retail use on the ground floor, as well as for any kind of residential use, whether plain residential or joint living-work quarters for artists, in the Noho district, which is still zoned for manufacturing.

Both Segal and Doris Diether, the Zoning and Housing Committee chairperson, said the key change is a cantilever feature that has been added to the building design. Segal didn’t go into specifics, but Diether said that on the second and third floors in the new building’s Lafayette and Bond Sts. sides, the floors are shifted away from 20 Bond St.’s western wall, with the fourth through sixth floors then cantilevered over this space. As a result of the space taken away to create the cantilever, the new design adds another story on the tower part of the project on Great Jones St., increasing it from seven to eight stories and the total floor-to-area ratio from 5.0 to 5.5.

In addition, the Zoning and Housing Committee made three other recommendations: that three balconies that would project into this space in the cantilever area be removed; that all units in the new building be at least 1,200 square feet; and that they be joint living-work quarters for artists, as opposed to ordinary residential units.

“These things that we’re asking for are not big things,” Diether said, noting that she and the committee came up with these ideas independently of Close and the artists. On one floor, for example, she noted, an 1,100-square-foot studio and 1,300-square-foot studio could be made into two 1,200-square-foot studios just by moving a wall. Similarly, on the new building’s top floor, two small, planned 700-square-foot studios could be combined to produce an apartment more typical of the loft sizes in Soho and Noho. Similarly, joint living-work quarters for artists, as opposed to ordinary residential units, are also the norm in this arts district, she noted. And the artists will have more light — as well as privacy — if the balconies near their windows are eliminated, she added. Diether said the project also will be cheaper to build if using her committee resolution’s recommendations.

But Segal said, “We’re not going to change the design” based on the committee’s recommendations, adding, “We’re going to stick with the design we have.”

© 2006 Community Media, LLC

londonlawyer
October 20th, 2006, 09:33 AM
It seems that the old building pictured is the one which houses the artists' studios. It's nice to see it preserved.

lofter1
October 24th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Bond Street Bind

http://therealestate.observer.com/363Laf.jpg
Rendering of 363-371 Lafayette

therealestate.observer.com (http://therealestate.observer.com/2006/10/bond-street-bind.html)
Matthew Grace
October 20, 2006

The Real Estate on Community Board 2 tentatively approved a plan for the development of 363-371 Layfayette Street last night, with several stipulations that the board hopes will preserve light and space for the adjoining building at 20 Bond Street, where legendary artist Chuck Close has a studio.

Tenants at 20 Bond Street and the developer 363-371 Layfayette Street, Olmstead Propeties, have been in negotiations for months concerning the new development. Aided by big guns from the Museum of Modern Art and the Metropolitan Museum of Art who wrote letters supporting Mr. Close and 20 Bond Street's other tenants, the tenants and the developer are negotiating a mutually beneficial plan that will allow the building to be developed while preserving light for the next-door property.

An attorney for the tenants addressed the board last night and said the negotiations are nearly finished, yet declined to state what any sticking points might remain. Apparently satisfied, the board approved the variance request, with a few modifications.

The developers asked for variances to change the ground floor to retail and the upper floors to residential, which is not allowed in the M1-5B (manufacturing) district, and an increase of floor-area ratio to 5.5, up from 5.0.

In its resolution, the board recommended to permit the retail use of the ground floor, but not to change the upper floors to residential use--instead, it urged the developers to use the upper floors as "joint living-work quarters," with each unit required to be 1,200 square feet, eliminating the balconies from the design (to preserve light and privacy in 20 Bond Street), and that negotiations continue with 20 Bond Street, resulting in a binding agreement.

The community board's decision is, of course, strictly advisory. The Board of Standards and Appeals must sign off on the plans before work starts.

For further info, check out The Villager's extensive coverage here (http://www.thevillager.com/villager_167/chuckclosetriesto.html) and here (http://www.thevillager.com/villager_172/closebutmeeting.html).

copyright © 2006 the new york observer, L.P.

The lot at 363-371 Lafayette, with 20 Bond in the background at the right ...

kurokevin
October 25th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Does anyone know what the building is rising to the East?

lofter1
October 25th, 2006, 11:55 AM
That's an odd project that has been going on forever ...

The address at that site is 25 Great Jones Street (that corner was the site of the funky old Jones Diner (http://www.villagevoice.com/news/0203,robbins,31535,5.html), which was torn down a few years ago).

DOB (http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/JobsQueryByNumberServlet?passdocnumber=1&passjobnumber=101569269&requestid=8) describes the lot as 25' x 199'

Job Description: ADD 8 STORIES (3-10) ON TO EXISTING BLDG. (SC1, CEL, 1 & 2) NEW STEEL,CONCRETE AND PLUMBING. OBTAIN AN AMENDED C/O.

Seemingly this is part of a parcel that entends through the block to 22 Bond Street, where per DOB (http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/JobDetailsServlet?requestid=2&allisn=0001249624&allboroughname=&allnumbhous=&allstrt), there are plans for an extension of the 2-story building at 22 Bond Street ...

Description: Vertical extnsion to existing 2 story building (cellar, 1st & 2nd). Add 3rd thru 9th floors to be used as hotel suites. Change of use on 2nd floor to Joint Living & work quarter. Obtain new CO.

However that application was "DISAPPROVED" and there is a "STOP WORK ORDER" on this property.

lofter1
October 25th, 2006, 12:48 PM
A shot (http://www.doneverettpearce.com/gallery/bydon.html) of the corner of Lafayette / Great Jones back in the days of "gasoline alley:

http://www.doneverettpearce.com/gallery/photos/images/jones_diner.jpg http://www.doneverettpearce.com/images/spacer.gif
Jones Diner, NYC 1999

lofter1
October 25th, 2006, 12:54 PM
An artist's impression of the same corner ...

http://www.johnbaeder.com/Oils/400x/400xJonesDiner.jpg

http://www.johnbaeder.com/captions/Jones-Diner.jpg

Copyright © 1973-2006 John Baeder

http://www.johnbaeder.com/Oils/1998-Jones-Diner.htm

lofter1
May 29th, 2008, 01:35 PM
CURBED (http://curbed.com/archives/2008/05/29/destructoporn_30_great_jones_demod_to_death.php?o= 0) reports on more changes in NoHo ...

Destructoporn: 30 Great Jones Demo'd to Death

Thursday, May 29, 2008, by Pete

http://curbednetwork.com/cache/gallery/2139/2534295590_8bf845245d_o.jpg

Any reports that the old 8-story building at 30 Great Jones Street in
NoHo was simply undergoing a partial demo (http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/JobsQueryByNumberServlet?requestid=2&passjobnumber=110005002&passdocnumber=01) and that the 2 bottom floors
would remain intact have now been proven completely false. All that's
left of the former screw factory (http://curbed.com/archives/2007/11/16/destructoporn_30_great_jones_going.php) is a subterranean pile of bricks and
granite blocks. The final demo took place before the Landmarks
Commission OK'd the newly-enlarged NoHo Historic District (http://curbed.com/archives/2008/05/13/extended_noho_historic_district_gets_green_light.p hp) earlier this
month. No new building applications have been filed, so any new
construction on this site will still have to pass lots of historical muster.
What's interesting is that a look at recent filings at the Department of
Finance show that the owner of 30 GJ has teamed up with the owners of
the big mid-block parking lot just to the east to create a single lot that's
about 110' by 100'. That's nearly the size of the parcel where the
super-glam but not-always-popular 40 Bond (http://curbed.com/archives/2008/03/24/ouroussoffs_state_of_starchitecture_40_bond_nay_ge hry_yay.php) went up just one block south.
So, what will go up on this choice piece of property? Perhaps another new condo (http://curbed.com/archives/2008/05/20/noho_residents_freaking_out_at_mere_prospect_of_mo re_condos.php)?
Or maybe those nasty NYU rumors (http://curbed.com/archives/2007/08/23/rumblings_and_bumblings_responses_nyu_to_noho.php) are really true after all.

http://curbednetwork.com/cache/gallery/2205/2533480989_1c3139b885_o.jpg
Map from DOF filings, showing the neighboring lots, now combined.

http://curbednetwork.com/cache/gallery/2343/2534295684_0aa324f2a6_o.jpg
30 Great Jones, then (L.) and now (R.).

http://curbednetwork.com/cache/gallery/2286/2534295698_c640f0d5bb_o.jpg
The mid-block lots in question along the north side of Great Jones Street.

http://curbednetwork.com/cache/gallery/2043/2534295712_074c7e98d3_o.jpg
The now-demo'd lower floors of 30 GJ.

http://curbednetwork.com/cache/gallery/2051/2533481125_dfe990b77f_o.jpg
When the old screw factory building first started coming down.

· Destructoporn: 30 Great Jones Going (http://curbed.com/archives/2007/11/16/destructoporn_30_great_jones_going.php) [Curbed]
· Extended Noho Historic District Gets Green Light (http://curbed.com/archives/2008/05/13/extended_noho_historic_district_gets_green_light.p hp) [Curbed]
· Noho Residents Freaking Out at Mere Prospect of More Condos (http://curbed.com/archives/2008/05/20/noho_residents_freaking_out_at_mere_prospect_of_mo re_condos.php) [Curbed]

30gj

Derek2k3
February 2nd, 2009, 01:16 PM
Looking down Lafayette. The first two are not technically in NoHo but its a look back at pre-war Manhattan.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3117/3248313516_12fbbca343_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3397/3248313522_8809afba3c_o.jpg

Here, instead of 40 Wall, we see Chase.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3521/3248313550_396d8b5f65_o.jpg

londonlawyer
February 2nd, 2009, 01:32 PM
Lafayette has so many beautiful buildings, but that parking garage is not one of them. I hope that it's razed during the next boom.

lofter1
February 2nd, 2009, 02:18 PM
That first two pics show one of the great street-level vistas in all of NYC [west side of Lafayette, just below Houston ;) ]

londonlawyer
August 20th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Curbed.com:

Gas Station Mania: Soho's Big BP Next To Go Dry?

Wednesday, August 19, 2009, by Pete

http://cdn0.curbednetwork.com/cache/gallery/3462/3835117918_2bc834048c_o.jpg

The sites in question on Houston between Lafayette and Crosby.

The word on the streets of Soho is that cabbies soon may have to drive a bit further to fill their gas tanks. The talk? The demise of the big BP gas station, long planted on the southwest corner of Lafayette and East Houston (with the festive Puck Fair drinkery a bit farther down the block). Indications are that the BP lot will join up with the two smaller and previously-linked lots to the south, creating one mega-plot in a very desirable spot. But the changes may not come easy.

Down this way, certain types of development proposals are seen as fighting words. These lots would be covered by the newly-proposed extension of the Soho Historic District. Plus, the site is controlled by NYC's arcane M1-5B Manufacturing District zoning regulations, which could make certain projects problematic, but that hasn't stopped others with big plans and deep pockets from jumping into the fray. This very visible and heavily trafficked site sits right above the MTA's soon-to-be-fantastic Broadway Lafayette / Bleecker Street Station and is just a short hurl from the madness of the Broadway Mall. Whatever rises here would have fantastic views of the grand old Puck Building across Lafayette, not to mention the glassy penthouse of that wacky-faced thing from SHoP at 290 Mulberry. They say location is everything. We'll have to wait and see what that might bring.
· 298 Lafayette Development Rights [NYC Department of Finance website]
· All Houston Street Coverage [Curbed]

londonlawyer
August 20th, 2009, 06:20 PM
More good news (in my opinion, at least)

http://evgrieve.com/2009/08/new-skyline-for-lafayette-street.html

Merry
January 13th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Hotel Gets a Dramatic Facade Facelift
January 12, 2010, by Pete

http://cdn1.curbednetwork.com/cache/gallery/2500/4268436327_1c52108e24_o.jpg

http://cdn1.curbednetwork.com/cache/gallery/2760/4268436375_2f13af8260_o.jpg

http://cdn1.curbednetwork.com/cache/gallery/2580/4267887914_3d19c3eea7_o.jpg

http://cdn1.curbednetwork.com/cache/gallery/4008/4267141529_036643c0b5_s.jpg (http://cdn1.curbednetwork.com/cache/gallery/4008/4267141529_515b5d722d_o.jpg) http://cdn1.curbednetwork.com/cache/gallery/2682/4267888004_a23f522447_s.jpg (http://cdn1.curbednetwork.com/cache/gallery/2682/4267888004_22f38b1c3b_o.jpg) http://cdn1.curbednetwork.com/cache/gallery/2705/4266611405_58e799c650_s.jpg (http://cdn1.curbednetwork.com/cache/gallery/2705/4266611405_1973d724a6_o.jpg) http://cdn1.curbednetwork.com/cache/gallery/4038/4267994372_700e6b37c1_s.jpg (http://cdn1.curbednetwork.com/cache/gallery/4038/4267994372_8c0935f2ed_o.jpg) http://cdn1.curbednetwork.com/cache/gallery/2737/4267887870_2e8b480d61_s.jpg (http://cdn1.curbednetwork.com/cache/gallery/2737/4267887870_16be686e69_o.jpg) http://cdn1.curbednetwork.com/cache/gallery/4043/4267887638_f769f33f80_s.jpg (http://cdn1.curbednetwork.com/cache/gallery/4043/4267887638_14666745f8_o.jpg) http://cdn1.curbednetwork.com/cache/gallery/4026/4267141663_c8ba943ef8_s.jpg (http://cdn1.curbednetwork.com/cache/gallery/4026/4267141663_cbea3bf72c_o.jpg) http://cdn1.curbednetwork.com/cache/gallery/4060/4267888218_4cc3730086_s.jpg (http://cdn1.curbednetwork.com/cache/gallery/4060/4267888218_bc21627352_o.jpg) http://cdn1.curbednetwork.com/cache/gallery/2793/4267141739_1cd5444313_s.jpg (http://cdn1.curbednetwork.com/cache/gallery/2793/4267141739_ba013fbdac_o.jpg)
(click to enlarge)

We've been stupefied by the concrete and cinderblock tower under construction at 25 Great Jones Street for the better part of a year, even after its black-and-white partial reveal (http://curbed.com/archives/2009/02/03/great_jones_hotel_creeps_out_into_the_open.php). Now the game plan has changed again. The 13-story sliver hotel (with big plans (http://ny.eater.com/archives/2009/12/cb2_gets_todd_english_by_the_balls.php) from celebrity chef Todd English inside) got out of the ground before the Noho Historic District was enlarged to cover the block, but the building now falls under the rule of the Landmarks Preservation Commission. So the hotel's owners have brought on a new creative team to woo the LPC with some sexy skin. Henry Smith-Miller of Smith-Miller + Hawkinson Architects (http://www.smharch.com/index.php?loadType=main) (imaginator of Tribeca's Stone Cloud (http://curbed.com/tags/80-leonard-street)) has come on board to make the nearly complete main structure shine. Plans were unveiled at a community board meeting last night, and there were some surprises, especially over on the Bond Street side.

Smith-Miller's facade inspiration comes from around the corner on Bleecker Street: Louis Sullivan's 1897 Bayard Condict Building (http://ci.columbia.edu/0240s/0242_2/0242_2_s5_2_text.html), one of NYC's earliest skyscrapers and graced with one of the prettiest faces in town. The intaglio terracotta is echoed in the hotel's stainless steel scrim etched with botanical shapes that will cover both the north and south facades above Great Jones and Bond Streets. Punched with holes, the scrim will allow light to penetrate while keeping the hotel rooms private (no Standard shenanigans (http://curbed.com/archives/2009/07/06/reader_rant_rave_standard_hotels_peep_show.php) here). The east and west facades along the lot lines that for now look so grim would get a stucco treatment with windows punched randomly. Don't forget there's another new building (http://curbed.com/archives/2009/12/07/in_noho_chuck_closes_worst_enemy_revealed.php) planned right next door along Lafayette.

The hotel's property goes through to Bond Street, where 22 Bond came down years ago. The proposal is for a picket fence bolted to the steel frame and rising 30' into the air. The fence, painted in the same pixilated patterns as the scrim above, takes its cue from the even crazier graffiti gates (http://curbed.com/archives/2007/07/20/40_bond_update_schragers_homage_to_haring.php) a few doors over at 40 Bond, and will enclose a glass-cube inner lobby—all the better to keep noisy party-goers under control (not to mention the golden dancers (http://curbed.com/tags/24-bond) next door). Deciduous trees will rise within and be visible from the sidewalk outside the fence. This block is already full of fun and foliage (http://curbed.com/archives/2007/07/10/40_bond_update_schrager_gets_his_trees.php), so we'll see how the LPC reacts. The design team has a date with the commission next week.

25 Great Jones Street coverage (http://curbed.com/tags/25-great-jones-street) [Curbed]
Smith-Miller + Hawkinson Architects (http://www.smharch.com/) [smharch.com]

http://curbed.com/archives/2010/01/12/nohos_great_jones_hotel_gets_a_dramatic_facade_fac elift.php#more

BrooklynRider
January 13th, 2010, 12:14 AM
10 to 1 it comes out looking like a Gene Kaufman / McSam crapper.

lofter1
January 13th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Actually that ^ is what everyone is trying to avoid, from the new hotel gang to the architect to CBw to Landmarks. The big problem is the structure as erected (first filed as a vertical enlargement of existing 2-story structure back in the late '90s) is classic Kaufman garbage. Now the hope is to wrap it in something that will mitigate the ungainliness.

Merry
January 18th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Preservationists Think 25 Great Jones is Giving Noho the Finger

January 18, 2010, by Sara

The proposed facade facelift (http://curbed.com/archives/2010/01/12/nohos_great_jones_hotel_gets_a_dramatic_facade_fac elift.php) for the hotel rising at 25 Great Jones Street goes before the Landmarks Preservation Commission tomorrow. The plan's early reviews (http://curbed.com/archives/2010/01/15/community_board_wants_to_niptuck_noho_hotels_facel ift.php) from Community Board 2 were positive, but this preview we received of the Historic Districts Council's LPC testimony should do absolutely nothing to sooth the architect's pre-LPC jitters:
HDC finds 25 Great Jones Street to not only be inappropriate for the NoHo Historic District, but also an example of what not to do in any historic district or neighborhood for that matter. The selfish design pays no notice or consideration to its neighbors. The building breaks the street wall on both sides with huge setbacks, and then adds insult to injury with a jagged, brutalist fence and bamboo, neither of which have any relation to the district. The set back exposes the party walls of the neighboring buildings, and in turn the new structure’s height exposes plain side elevations. The result is a structure that sticks out like a sore thumb, or another finger, on the block.
But perhaps there's a way to make the best of a bad situation:
We understand that the building has pretty much already been constructed and that we are reviewing only its skin. Although no where near the ideal solution, HDC suggests that the skin be brought out to the street wall to the height of the adjacent buildings in order to basically hide what has been built behind. Then 25 Great Jones can just serve as a reminder of what not to do in an historic district and of the importance of landmarking at the appropriate time.HDC LPC Testimony Archives (http://www.hdc.org/hdc@lpc/) [HDC]
25 Great Jones Street coverage (http://curbed.com/tags/25-great-jones-street) [Curbed]

http://curbed.com/archives/2010/01/18/preservationists_think_25_great_jones_is_giving_no ho_the_finger.php#more

Merry
February 12th, 2010, 11:08 PM
...but some things don't change...

Those windows and the view along Broadway are marvelous.

The Domestication of a Dive

By CONSTANCE ROSENBLUM

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/02/14/realestate/14habitats-slideshow/14habitats-slideshow-custom1.jpg

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/02/14/realestate/14habitats-slideshow/14habitats-slideshow-custom2.jpg

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/02/14/realestate/14habitats-slideshow/14habitats-slideshow-custom3.jpg

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/02/14/realestate/14habitats-slideshow/14habitats-slideshow-custom7.jpg
Erie Basin, Brooklyn

THE 1970s and ’80s are on thrilling and sometimes terrifying display in the fifth-floor apartment in NoHo where Joel Hinman has lived for the past 35 years.

One of the two graceful Beaux-Arts windows in the living room — eight-foot-wide half moons that gaze like giant eyes onto the intersection of Bleecker Street and Broadway — is pocked with a semicircle of bullet holes.

Mr. Hinman suspects that they date from the years when the law commune that served the Black Panthers had its headquarters on this floor.

The dramas unspooled into the ’90s. Long after his arrival as a raw 20-something from Connecticut, Mr. Hinman used to gaze longingly at the orgies taking place in an apartment across the street.

“The shades are up, and there’s hard-core porn on the TV, and you’re feeling like you’re never invited to the right parties,” Mr. Hinman, 57, a writer who spent many years making concert films and other documentaries, recalled the other day as he stood by that window and talked wistfully about the neighborhood’s past. “And I’m wondering: How can I ever get over there? Do I do the old ‘Hi, I’m bringing the pizza’ joke?”.

Outside his apartment door, the creaky elevator and rickety winding stairwell bring to mind another defining aspect of those years, the nearly three decades that Martin Fine was the landlord. In 1995, Mr. Fine landed on the annual list of the city’s 10 worst landlords compiled by the newspaper columnist Jack Newfield; one of Mr. Hinman’s prized possessions is a T-shirt showing the list splashed across the front page of The New York Post.

The apartment, at 640 Broadway, is nowadays the setting for a far tidier existence. Mr. Hinman, who teaches fiction and poetry at the Writers Studio and works as a volunteer at the Institute for Mediation and Conflict Resolution in the South Bronx, now lives here with Kari Thorstensen, 42, his wife of five years, and the couple’s year-old son, Cyrus John Henry.

But the 2,500-square-foot apartment, for which they pay $1,291 a month, is still very much a bachelor pad, bearing witness to a wild ride of a life, or at least to other people’s wild rides.

Telling the story of Mr. Hinman and the apartment means going far back in time. Maybe not back to 1650, when the first Hinman arrived in Connecticut from England. (That chapter is recalled by needlepoint cushions, made by Mr. Hinman’s mother, that bear the family crest and the British royal lion.) But certainly back to the years when the Hinman family owned the Erie Basin, the venerable shipyard in Brooklyn.

The family sold the property in 1953, the year Mr. Hinman was born, but a huge photograph of the complex hangs in the hallway that snakes through the apartment.

By 1975, when Mr. Hinman and a college friend arrived at 640 Broadway, a nine-story brown brick structure built in 1897, both the building and the surrounding neighborhood were on the ropes. First heroin, then crack cocaine, battered the streets. Inside, small factories were interspersed with a few hardy residential tenants.

“A guy named Sally, a guy with a big pompadour, ran the elevator,” Mr. Hinman said. “My college buddy and I were both 21. We were completely clueless about what we were getting into.”

The premises left much to be desired, but at $500, the rent seemed awfully cheap. “We thought we were sharp operators,” he said. “In our dreams.”

For most of the past 35 years, until 2008, Mr. Hinman lived at 640 Broadway without a lease. The setup wasn’t legal, and there was never a dull moment.

In the apartment at the rear of the floor, which back then was reached only through Mr. Hinman’s space, the residents lived especially large. He remembers their experiments with angel dust, the screenings of human dismemberment films from Peru and the time a bunch of guys showed up dressed up as Arab women. As the party raged on, the building sank ever deeper into decay.

In Mr. Hinman’s apartment, the kitchen sink fell through the counter and mushrooms sprouted under the bed. Over a two-week period, he killed nine rats; he marked the death of one of the perps by making a chalk drawing of its carcass, “just like they do in crime scenes,” he said.

Over the years, as Mr. Hinman worked away in a back room, friends crashed and roommates drifted in and out, leaving behind an ever-expanding collection of junk. Broken television sets. A trouser press. (“God knows why,” Mr. Hinman said.) Someone’s wedding dress. He thinks the owner’s name was Bonnie.

Yet despite the chaos, there were many reasons to stay.

“I had this fabulous huge place with cheap rent and great architecture,” he said. “I could have lots of roommates to reduce the cost. And since it was a loft, I could run my business out of the back and live in the front.” Plus he was young — that accounted for a lot.

Today most of the stranger items are gone, and concessions have been made to the apartment’s newer occupants. For Cyrus, there’s a pastel nursery with a domed ceiling. For Ms. Thorstensen, a technology product management consultant, there’s a tasteful gray office.

The kitchen looks almost high-tech. Magnetized spice jars cling to a wall like shiny barnacles. Gray-green tiles echo the colors of a favorite painting by an American artist named Randy Dudley that hangs on one wall. The cabinet doors have no handles, which gives them a sleek, minimalist look.

In the living room, metal lanterns from Anthropologie, an unexpected touch of high-fashion décor, dangle on either side of the great windows, which are framed by palm trees and edged with pots of geraniums, rosemary, aloe and papyrus plants.

Yet even now, with a wife and baby in residence, remnants of the old days endure, among them an ancient butler’s table and a beat-up leather sofa, so huge that when Mr. Hinman wanted it recovered, the upholsterers had to make a house call. Jagged strips of decorative copper trim, the edges sharp as fangs, snake around one wall.

“The place was in such bad shape that the guy who came to child-proof the apartment before Cyrus was born came a month early,” Mr. Hinman said. “And after he looked at it, he said it was the second-worst place he had ever seen.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/14/realestate/14habi.html

Merry
February 17th, 2010, 04:58 AM
Height Issues

New York's landmarks commission contends with uncontextual Noho tower

http://www.archpaper.com/uploads/image/SMH+_0913_BOND-ST-REN.jpg
For a new hotel within the Noho historic district, the building's bulk is pushed back from its Bond Street frontage.

The Great Jones Hotel is a 13-story sliver building that snuck into the ground before the section of Noho surrounding it was made a historic district in the fall of 2008. The building thus did not have to undergo review by the Landmarks Preservation Commission, that is, until the developer cut so many corners in its rush to build that the LPC now gets another crack at it.
Many in the community were hoping the city would require the developer, SDS Brooklyn, to tear down its topped-out hotel and start anew. Instead, the L-shaped building on a through-lot with entries on both Great Jones and Bond streets can stand, and the commission is left with only the facade to debate.

http://www.archpaper.com/uploads/SMH+0913_BS_COURT_260.jpg
A proposed fence on Bond Street would help maintain the street wall.

The developer was originally working with Dumbo-based TKA Studio on a wavy metallic design, but fearing that was too radical, brought in Smith-Miller + Hawkinson for the redo. The firm has had a number of envelope-pushing successes at the commission in recent years, including two for SDS. “We’re the hit-men for historic districts now,” Henry Smith-Miller said in an interview.

His proposal was to drop the metal sides in favor of stucco, and cover expansive windows with a stainless steel scrim with a pixilated leaf pattern. Smith-Miller said the leaves are a nod to Louis Sullivan’s Bayard-Condict Building on nearby Bleecker Street, while the materials and modern verve more closely resemble contemporary landmarks just down the block, including Herzog & de Meuron’s 40 Bond and Deborah Berke’s 48 Bond.

Community Board 2 broadly supported the plan in early January, requesting simply that the leaves be dropped for a more neoclassical approach. The board even supported a controversial 30-foot fence with a wavy pattern on the project’s Bond Street frontage that is intended to maintain the street wall while masking the taller building set behind it.

Despite the board’s approval, dozens of angry preservationists and neighbors turned out to the commission’s January 19 meeting on the building. “Honestly, well-designed refrigerators have more aesthetic appeal,” said Simeon Bankoff, executive director of the Historic Districts Council. Others realized the futility of complaining. “I agree that this is a problematic situation,” said Peter Davies, a neighbor. “I think with some input and revisions from Smith-Miller + Hawkinson, who I believe have been given an almost impossible task here, that something good can come of this.”

http://www.archpaper.com/uploads/SMH+_GOOGLE-AREAL.jpg
Seen from Great Jones Street, the tower rises significantly above its neighbors.

The commissioners were more enthusiastic, expressing general support for the project, though they withheld a vote on it for a later date. “I think you’ve presented a very inventive solution to the problem,” Commissioner Diana Chapin said. Others suggested the community was more upset with the presence of the hotel than with the design itself, something neither neighbors nor the commission could do anything about.

“The building works in the context as best I could do,” Smith-Miller told AN. “It’s a tall building, a modernist zoning envelope basically, and there’s really only so much you can do with it.”

Matt Chaban

http://www.archpaper.com/e-board_rev.asp?News_ID=4241

londonlawyer
February 19th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Curbed.com

http://curbed.com/uploads/2010_2_8bond1.jpg

Contrary to popular opinion, Ian Schrager and Adam Gordon haven't turned every inch of Bond Street into gold-plated trophy homes for bankers and Ricky Martin. How can we fix that? Well here's a solid opportunity for the barons of Bond: 8-12 Bond Street, currently a parking lot and a three-floor building home to a gallery/event space and a residential unit on the top floor, have just hit the market either as a package deal or sold separately. On their own, the parking lot is asking $6 million and 8 Bond—which can be delivered vacant—is seeking $6.75 million. The properties fall within the Noho Historic District but according to the listing, "The owner has obtained all necessary certificates for the demolition of all of the buildings on the subject property." So what can be built?

Enough room to shake your bon-bon in, that's for sure. >>

Merry
March 17th, 2010, 07:38 AM
High Hopes

LPC approves improvements to Noho sliver building

by Matt Chaban

http://www.archpaper.com/uploads/image/25GJ_Rendering.jpg
A new facade designed by Smith-Miller + Hawkinson Architects for a 13-story hotel at 25 Great Jones Street was approved today.

The block of Bond Street between Lafeyette and the Bowery has become, in less than a decade’s time, one of the most high profile in the city. Not only is there 40 Bond, Herzog & de Meuron’s celebrated take on the cast-iron architecture of the city, but also 48 Bond, a black affair by Deborah Burke, 25 Bond, BKSK’s pixilated sandstone, and 41-43 Bond, bronze-shuttered minimalism from Stephen Harris. Now, add to that 25 Great Jones Street, a 13-story L-shaped hotel that also stretches through to Bond Street.

http://www.archpaper.com/uploads/25GJ_Screen%281%29.jpg
A full-scale mock-up of the leaf-eteched mesh screen, which will adorn the facade, was presented to the commission today.

http://www.archpaper.com/uploads/25GJ_Courtyard2.jpg (http://www.archpaper.com/uploads/25GJ_Courtyard2.jpg)
THe L-shaped building's bond street side will include a restaurant, hidden behind a 30-foot-tall wavy fence. (Click to zoom)

Construction on the hotel began just before the area surrounding it became part of the Noho Historic District, but permit problems triggered a belated review earlier this year by the Landmarks Preservation Commission, despite the building being nearly complete. While many commissioners acknowledged they never would have approved such a tall, acontextual building, they were limited to critiquing the façade, which won unanimous approval today. The vote means construction, which had been on hold since November, can soon resume.

“I can’t quite say we’re making a silk purse out of a sow’s ear, but we are giving an eye to art and architecture in an area long known for it, and hopefully that will take the eye away from what’s problematic about this building,” Commissioner Elizabeth Ryan said during a commission meeting held this afternoon.
The project was initially designed by DUMBO-based TKA Studio, but the developer, Second Development Services, decided to bring in Smith-Miller + Hawkinson Architects to rework the façade, in light of a string of success the firm has had at the commission, including one for SDS. Rippling metallic sides and sheer curtain walls were replaced, respectively, with dark grey stucco and a mesh screen etched with a floral pattern—actually an abstract copy of artist and architect an Alan Buchsbaum photograph Serious Leaves. Some commissioners particularly liked that the work of one of modern Soho’s foremost designers would live on in this project.

The building drew a great deal of outcry from the community, including some 90 minutes of testimony in opposition at a February commission hearing, but architect Henry Smith-Miller maintains that was less opposition to his work than the presence of a 48-room hotel on two relatively quiet residential streets. Taking this into consideration, Community Board 2 recommended the commission support the revisions, calling them superior to the initial proposal, troubling as it remains.

The commissioners agreed that while the new façade could not erase the building’s egregious proportions, it would help to mask them. “I just think this is such an excellent project making so much out of so little that was provided to you,” Commissioner Margery Perlmutter told Smith-Miller. Her colleague, Roberta Brandeis Gratz, praised with a faint damning. “This is a very inventive solution to an unfortunate and challenging problem, but as a solution, it will go a long way to overcoming the this out-of-scale building.”

http://www.archpaper.com/uploads/25GJ_TKAStudio.jpg
The original, metalic design, by TKA Studio, was never presented to the commission, as it was considered too modern.

Commissioners still took issue with a few minor details, such as the decision to have two planters flanking the Great Jones Street entrance filled with bamboo, a 30-foot tall undulating wooden fence on the Bond Street side, and the decision not to treat the sides of the building with anything more than a smattering of punched windows. Still, these complaints were outweighed by the improvements Smith-Miller Hawkinson made and did not stand in the way of the project’s approval.

Despite the initial setback created by having to take the project through the commission, Barbara Resnicow, SDS’s director of project management, said the process led to a better building. “It’s a great solution for the community and the commission,” she said. “It was a learning process for us, but ultimately the project has been improved.

http://www.archpaper.com/e-board_rev.asp?News_ID=4339

Merry
June 18th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Along Lafayette Street, Some Very Odd Lots

By CHRISTOPHER GRAY

[Text deleted]

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/20/realestate/20scapes.html

ablarc
June 18th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Fuel’s large Calvin Klein sign, at the northwest corner of Houston and Lafayette, is known worldwide in the sign industry. “Wherever I travel,” he said, “everyone knows that sign.”
Photo, anyone?

lofter1
June 18th, 2010, 10:04 PM
That billboard changes (http://gothamist.com/2009/06/24/calvin_klein_billboard.php) all the time, but it's always CK and always sexy. Google search shows lots of the various versions (http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=Billboard+%22calvin+klein%22+Lafayette+houston&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=). Some local women, especially those with young daughters, are not all that happy with the constant parade of photoshopped flesh (these women are not prudes, but they believe that such images are tough for young females to live up to). Others thought (http://gothamist.com/2009/06/15/is_the_calvin_klein_billboard_offen.php) that CK was back in the kiddy porn business.

Here's a shot I took in June '09, when they first started digging up East Houston Street for the new mega-Subway Station down below and CK was ready for the beach ...

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p242/Lofter1/SoHo/100618_LafHoustonCK_1.jpg

Derek2k3
August 23rd, 2010, 01:50 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4135/4862385392_b560eb35b8_b.jpg
Larger: http://www.flickr.com/photos/acmace/4862385392/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Towards the E. Village.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4075/4871423369_8519541134_b.jpg
Larger: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4075/4871423369_8519541134_b.jpg

andrew mace— (http://www.flickr.com/photos/acmace/4862385392/sizes/l/in/photostream/)

Derek2k3
September 19th, 2010, 09:18 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4144/4992616661_c4895ff7bc_b.jpg
Large: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4144/4992616661_c4895ff7bc_b.jpg
ryanbudhu (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanbudhu/4992616661/sizes/l/in/photostream/)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4152/4976124124_377f658f56_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4092/4975655661_fd2f5fb33a_z.jpg
shellysblogger (http://www.flickr.com/photos/shellysblogger/tags/manhattan/page11/)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4084/4975656975_80fa8f26be_z.jpg
shellysblogger (http://www.flickr.com/photos/shellysblogger/tags/manhattan/page11/)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4105/4976266140_b33fd7c4a8_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4083/4975655329_e68ff204f5_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4085/4975646793_4e4a07cb7a_z.jpg

londonlawyer
September 19th, 2010, 09:20 PM
This area has many beautiful, old buildings.

Derek2k3
October 12th, 2010, 12:06 AM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4085/5074329178_5222b15c7f_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4103/5074327326_74d3551493_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4088/5073730133_43187b41ec_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4091/5074325272_53030fe39d_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4147/5073727827_5103340d06_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4107/5073728487_aff99ffc42_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4103/5073726667_172b78c6a3_b.jpg

One of my faves..
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4150/5073730627_a4960cdb37_b.jpg

Merry
May 17th, 2011, 06:04 AM
NoHo Hotel Seeks Smooth Operator

May 16, 2011, by Michael Gross

http://ny.curbed.com/uploads/hotel.jpg

E V Grieve spotlights some news at 25 Great Jones Street, the finger-sticking bad news NoHo boutique hotel development site that's been the butt of jokes since 2009: it's now up for grabs. According to Massey Knakal's listing, the "13-story boutique hotel development slated for 48 guestrooms...awaits a flag or boutique operator to customize....The demolition, excavation, concrete super structure, and construction lift are fully complete." The brokers also note that "future competition" is increasingly unlikely in the recently-landmarked neighborhood, and that "nearby hotel suites can go for as high as $650/night, as seen at the Bowery and Cooper Square Hotels."

So it makes some sense that Crain's New York Business is touting a boom in hotels in the outer boroughs, where rooms rent for $200 and less. "Within a one-mile radius of The Ravel Hotel...a 63-room property located at the foot of the Queensborough Bridge," Crain's reports, "chain hotels Best Western and Howard Johnson stand back-to-back, near several independent properties that are currently under construction....Over the past four years, 5,850 hotel rooms have been added in places like downtown Brooklyn and Williamsburg as well as throughout Staten Island. Even the Bronx is slated to get a 48-room Comfort Inn on Webster Avenue later this year." Hotel Williamsburg, a 64-room luxury property set to open next month, has even hired the former chef de cuisine at L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon at the Four Seasons hotel to run its restaurant. Even after you factor in subway fare, it's still likely to be a bargain.

Your chance to buy a boutique hotel on Great Jones (http://evgrieve.com/2011/05/your-chance-to-buy-boutique-hotel-on.html) [E V Grieve]
25 Great Jones Street (http://www.masseyknakal.com/listings/detail.aspx?lst=20501) [Massey Knakal]
Hotels Check Into Boroughs (http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20110515/SMALLBIZ/305159977) [Crains]

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2011/05/16/noho_hotel_seeks_smooth_operator.php

londonlawyer
May 17th, 2011, 06:49 AM
There are some beautiful buildings along this stretch of Lafayette. However, there are a few pieces of crap that hopefully, will be redeveloped during this upturn. The huge lot, supposedly owned by NYU, is one of them. This crappy garage is another. I'd also like to see this street get a wider sidewalk with landscaping.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4103/5073726667_172b78c6a3_b.jpg

londonlawyer
May 18th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Great news!

http://www.observer.com/2011/real-estate/sohos-last-gas

Soho's Last Gas: BP Pump Makes Way for Swanky Lofts
By Laura Kusisto

May 17, 2011 | 8:29 p.m

http://www.observer.com/files/full/bp_0.jpg

The corner of Lafayette and Houston, long-time home of the iconic red-blue-and-white Gaseteria, was sexy long before Soho was.

"Gaseteria is very real, very raw, it's sexy and hip," Marcello Porcelli, whose father built the chain, told the New Yorker in 2003. "It just represents everything that's beautiful and wonderful and real about New York. I gave one of my ex-girlfriends a Gaseteria jumpsuit, and she looked just gorgeous in the thing."

It might not be quite as sexy as an industrial jumpsuit, but Lafayette and Houston is getting a super-secret five- to seven-story commercial loft development with luxury retail, The Observer has learned. While the prospect of another Dean & Deluca or Top Shop might be a boon to the tony cobblestone hood, it apparently leaves downtown with all of two gas stations.

After shuttering the Gaseteria, Mr. Porcelli leased the spot to British Petroleum in 2003, but that lease will soon expire. Similarly, a number of the family gas station sites in the five boroughs have been transformed into small luxury developments in neighborhoods such as the East Village.

The omniscient Community Board 2 hasn't heard that plans are afoot for a major transformation of the site—one of the few, and arguably the best, development site in the landmarked cast-iron hood. Never mind: even the manager of the gas station too was shocked by the news. "I haven't heard that," she said.

CB Richard Ellis is marketing the retail space and could not be reached for comment. Likewise, Mr. Porcelli could not be reached.

At least the news is likely to delight environmentalists, who once dressed as sea mammals and "occupied" the site last spring to protest the British Petroleum oil slithering down the Louisiana coastline. Said N.Y.U. grad Joseph God Jordan when contacted by The Observer: "I'm happy." But, he hastened, "There's gas everywhere."

Well, not quite. With one of the few remaining gas stations at 14th and 10th Avenue, those lines of honking cabbies will simply have to take their business elsewhere, but where?

lkusisto@observer.com

lofter1
May 18th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Locals fought hard to get that lot included in the expansion of the SoHo Cast Iron Historic District. Of course the owner was against it, but seeing as how it is such a highly visible lot, to not have some design guidelines was inviting potential disaster. It'll be interesting to see what is proposed -- and what we end up with.

One downside: The blocks around that BP station were always good for getting a cab, but when the gas goes that opportunity might dwindle.

londonlawyer
May 18th, 2011, 07:47 PM
I'm elated to see this eyesore replaced. Hopefully, something great will rise on this site.

londonlawyer
August 9th, 2011, 10:15 PM
The 9 Aug 2011 edition of curbed has a story about a proposal for 372 lafayette. It looks nice and would be a great improvement over the crappy auto garage that's presently on the site.

Derek2k3
October 26th, 2011, 01:14 PM
I always wondered if something would get developed here and feared that it would diminish the Bayard Building.
New 8 story building designed by Meltzer Mandl already approved by LPC according to their website. No permits filed. More renderings in the link.

http://www.meltzermandl.com/images/com_sobi2/gallery/63/63_image_1.jpg

http://www.meltzermandl.com/index.php?option=com_sobi2&sobi2Task=sobi2Details&catid=7&sobi2Id=63&Itemid=9

londonlawyer
October 26th, 2011, 01:35 PM
That's pretty cool, but it's a shame that the blank wall on the adjacent building will remain exposed.

lofter1
October 26th, 2011, 03:34 PM
That exposed wall is at Louis Sullivan's Bayard Condict Building (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22208&p=297867&viewfull=1#post297867), so it's wise to give it some berth. Images at the Meltzer Mandl link show that the new proposal pulls back away from the east facade of BCB, with a large terrace at the rear, maintaining light & air for the neighboring buildings (and concentrating the FAR towards the corner of Bleecker & Lafayette).

londonlawyer
October 26th, 2011, 03:50 PM
The Bayard building is magnificent, but the exposed wall is not. Nonetheless, I'm pleased to see more development on Lafayette.

lofter1
November 17th, 2011, 12:41 PM
New & revised plan from Morris Adjmi for 372 Lafayette (SW corner of Great Jones) Approved by LPC:

372 Lafayette Street – Take Two! (http://gvshp.org/blog/2011/11/15/372-lafayette-street-take-two/)

GVSHP (http://gvshp.org/blog/2011/11/15/372-lafayette-street-take-two/)
BY ELIZABETH
NOVEMBER 15, 2011
(http://gvshp.org/blog/category/noho/)

http://gvshp.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/photo.jpg
(http://gvshp.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/photo.jpg)372 Lafayette Street today

Back in August, we wrote about (http://gvshp.org/blog/2011/08/09/big-plans-for-372-lafayette-street/) 372 Lafayette Street, the proposed new building designed by Morris Adjmi that will – once given the go-ahead by the Landmarks Preservation Commission – occupy the site of the existing one-story garage on the corner of Great Jones Street in the NoHo Historic District (http://www.gvshp.org/_gvshp/resources/his_dist_sites.htm#NH). The LPC was only partially in support of Adjmi’s original design, and after the public hearing in August they sent him back to the drawing board to make some modifications. You can see photos of the original design and read about the LPC’s comments HERE (http://gvshp.org/lpc/2011/11/15/372-lafayette-street/).

Today, the architect returned to the LPC with a revised design, which the Commission unanimously approved. View photos after the jump.

http://gvshp.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/112.jpg
(http://gvshp.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/112.jpg)Morris Adjmi's original design for the site, as presented to the LPC in August

http://gvshp.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/372-1.jpg
(http://gvshp.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/372-1.jpg)The revised design, approved today by the Commission

The approved design lacks the canopy above the main entrance that was part of the original design, and has incorporated brick piers that follow the vertical lines of the aluminum, getting smaller as they move upward. The depth of the windows has also been increased from about 5″ to 11″.

londonlawyer
November 17th, 2011, 01:27 PM
The combination of brick and aluminum looks ridiculous, but I'm pleased to be rid of this horrible garage.

londonlawyer
November 21st, 2011, 09:54 PM
Although it's not in NoHo, does anyone know if the crappy Lukoil on 8th Ave. near Jackson Square closed permanently or is it just getting new tanks. That POS detracts from this beautiful spot, so I hope that it's gone for good.

ASchwarz
November 21st, 2011, 10:45 PM
Although it's not in NoHo, does anyone know if the crappy Lukoil on 8th Ave. near Jackson Square closed permanently or is it just getting new tanks. That POS detracts from this beautiful spot, so I hope that it's gone for good.

It's closed permanently.

I have no idea what's replacing it, though. Certainly a valuable location.

londonlawyer
November 21st, 2011, 10:55 PM
Thanks, Schwartz. I saw a comment on Vanishing NY which stated that, as per a recent NYC permit posted outside, they were merely replacing the tanks. I'm glad to hear that it wil be eliminated.

ASchwarz
November 21st, 2011, 10:59 PM
Thanks, Schwartz. I saw a comment on Vanishing NY which stated that, as per a recent NYC permit posted outside, they were merely replacing the tanks. I'm glad to hear that it wil be eliminated.

Crains NY had an article a few months back talking about gas stations in Manhattan, and that was one of the stations cited that was to be closed.

lofter1
November 21st, 2011, 11:06 PM

I was told a few weeks back by a couple of guys working on a crew there (taking out the fire suppression system around the old pumps) that another re-built station is going in. But what you hear and what actually happens doesn't always coincide.

This is what DOB shows for the site at 63 Eighth Avenue aka 300 West 13th Street (http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/JobsQueryByNumberServlet?requestid=2&passjobnumber=120818669&passdocnumber=01) (Approved 9.08.2011):

INSTALLATION OF TWO (2) UNDERGROUND STORAGE TANK SYSTEMS. NO CHANGE IN USE, OCCUPANCY, OR EGRESS.

londonlawyer
November 21st, 2011, 11:12 PM
THanks, Schwartz and Lofter for the info. I hope that a gas station does not return to this great little area.

lofter1
November 22nd, 2011, 12:27 AM
Hope away. Why else would they be installing two new underground tanks there if not for a filling station?

londonlawyer
November 22nd, 2011, 09:53 AM
I didn't see the part that you posted about the new tanks.

ASchwarz
November 22nd, 2011, 10:26 AM
Hope away. Why else would they be installing two new underground tanks there if not for a filling station?

According to the Department of Consumer Affairs, that gas station is closing.

Who knows? Maybe they're aren't really installing tanks, or maybe they're staying open a little longer for now.

Per the Crains article-

Gas stations are nearly facing extinction in Manhattan after years of sell-offs and closures. Just last month, the Lukoil station on West 13th Street and Eighth Avenue shut its mini-market doors and plugged its pumps. That leaves a mere 41 stations on the island, versus 58 two years ago, according to the Department of Consumer Affairs. The city's five boroughs host 835 locations in all—meaning Manhattan's share is less than 5%.

Some blame the lure of lucrative profits from real estate in midtown. Others say the ever-higher cost of delivering gasoline to inner Manhattan makes periphery locations more practical.

“It's just a sign of the times,” said Faith Hope Consolo, chairman of retail leasing at Prudential Douglas Elliman. “Selling off gas stations accelerated at the height of the market before the downturn, and now it's picking up again. As money gets freed up and development moves forward, once again we'll see some of those sites being bid on.”

ExxonMobil shut its location at 1132 York Ave. in January, part of a 55-site sell-off in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens. Now, just 11 stations stand south of 96th Street. Seven of those are gas stations on 10th and 11th avenues.

Read more: http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20111009/TRANSPORTATION/310099981#ixzz1eRs3BuB4

Pretty much all stations on prime land will be gone in a few years. There is no economic rationale to selling gas on land with that type of value.

Sid
December 12th, 2011, 10:02 PM
It looks like the gas station underneath the High Line at 14th Street will become 17,000 square feet of retail:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203430404577092902221433394.html?m od=WSJ_NY_RealEstate_LEFTTopStories

The Millers are thinking of converting it to 17,000 square feet of retail in what brokers say is an attractive location near the High Line
(http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203430404577092902221433394.html?m od=WSJ_NY_RealEstate_LEFTTopStories)

londonlawyer
December 13th, 2011, 03:08 PM
According to the Department of Consumer Affairs, that gas station is closing.

Who knows? Maybe they're aren't really installing tanks, or maybe they're staying open a little longer for now.

Has any more information surfaced re: the Lukoil on 8th?

londonlawyer
January 11th, 2012, 09:26 PM
I walked by the old Lukoil on Jan. 11, 2012, and it showed no signs of re-emerging as a gas station. I hope that it doesn't.

lofter1
January 11th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Hate to break it to you but this is what DOB shows (http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/JobsQueryByNumberServlet?requestid=2&passjobnumber=120818669&passdocnumber=01) for the "installation of (2) underground storage tank systems" at 300 West 13th:

Last Action: PERMIT ISSUED - ENTIRE JOB/WORK 01/05/2012

Owner: CAPITOL PETROLEUM GROUP (http://www.capitolpetro.com/)

ABOUT US

CPG has recently ventured outside the metro Washington, DC area, and recently completed transactions in the New York City market.

November 2010, forty-seven (47) locations in the borough of Queens, NY from Exxon Mobil under East River Petroleum Realty, LLC (ERPR), and twenty-four (24) locations in the boroughs of Manhattan and the Bronx from Exxon Mobil under Liberty Petroleum Realty, LLC.

londonlawyer
January 11th, 2012, 10:51 PM
That sucks, but thanks for the info.

londonlawyer
April 3rd, 2012, 08:27 PM
This proposal looks nice.

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2012/04/03/selldorf_proposes_new_sixstory_building_on_bond_st reet.php#4f7a74ac85216d1bc813455c

http://cdn.cstatic.net/images/gridfs/4f7a74c185216d0e4f00acbb/201204_12BondTRASelldorfDuo_4.jpg

http://cdn.cstatic.net/images/gridfs/4f7a74c185216d0e4f00acbb/201204_12BondTRASelldorfDuo_4.jpg

londonlawyer
April 15th, 2012, 09:25 AM
That exposed wall is at Louis Sullivan's Bayard Condict Building (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22208&p=297867&viewfull=1#post297867), so it's wise to give it some berth. Images at the Meltzer Mandl link show that the new proposal pulls back away from the east facade of BCB, with a large terrace at the rear, maintaining light & air for the neighboring buildings (and concentrating the FAR towards the corner of Bleecker & Lafayette).

I walked by here on April 14th. It will be nice to see this developed. I like how they propose to keep the south corner which retained the nice facade.

Derek2k3
July 18th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Another eyesore to bite the dust.

Enlarged 45 Great Jones Street Will Go Partially Residential
Wednesday, July 18, 2012, by Curbed Staff

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2012/07/18/enlarged_45_great_jones_street_will_go_partially_r esidential.php

http://cdn.cstatic.net/images/gridfs/4fd5257485216d26f2006fc0/201206_45GreatJones_LPC_Duo1.jpg

http://cdn.cstatic.net/images/gridfs/4faf40b485216d67820b133a/45GreatJones_BBB_Render1.jpg

lofter1
July 18th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Another old one on that same block of Great Jones is about to be redone. LPC will be taking a look at the plans later this month.

37 Great Jones Street (http://gvshp.org/lpc/2012/07/10/37-great-jones-street/)

lofter1
July 18th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Info on 37 Great Jones Street from the 2008 NoHo Historic District Extension Designation Report (http://www.nyc.gov/html/lpc/downloads/pdf/reports/NOHOExtensionReport.pdf) (page 83):

History: This utilitarian garage and warehouse, designed by architect Lewis C. Patton, was constructed for owner Ferdinand T. Hopkins in 1917-18 at a time when many of the older structures were being replaced with new commercial buildings. By the mid-1930s the building had been altered to house offices, shipping department and factory as well as storage. At that time, directories indicate that Philco Radio & Television Corporation shared the premises with Joseph Doyle, a trucker. From 1943 to 1955 the building reverted to use as a garage and warehouse for Red Ball Van Lines after which it was converted to use as a factory for Revere Metal Art Company and Steel Parts Manufacturing Company. Concord Electronics Corporation joined them around 1965 and continued in this location until recently. This building, largely intact to its early twentieth-century appearance, contributes to the mixed-use and diverse character of the NoHo East Historic District.

Ownership:

1886: Ferdinand T. Hopkins
1956: 37 Great Jones Street Corp.
1962: Parker Pen Company
1965: 37 Great Jones Corp.
1971: Revere Metal Art Co.

The initial render (http://www.josephpelllombardi.com/projects/IMAGES/37greatjonesrender.jpg) of the plan for 37 Great Jones by architect Joseph Pell Lombardi (http://www.josephpelllombardi.com/projects.html):

http://www.josephpelllombardi.com/projects/IMAGES/37greatjonesrender.jpg

How it looked recently:

http://gvshp.org/lpc/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/photo9.jpg

And how it looked in 1936 when it was a Philco Radio & Television Corporation (http://www.josephpelllombardi.com/projects/IMAGES/37GreatJones1936.jpg) warehouse:

http://www.josephpelllombardi.com/projects/IMAGES/37GreatJones1936.jpg

londonlawyer
July 18th, 2012, 10:19 PM
I hope that landscaped bike lanes are added to LaFayette before our great mayor leaves office.

lofter1
July 18th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Seeing as how his Bike Share (http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/07/nyc-bike-share-delayed-until-august.html) plan is a total bust I'd say he should just stop it.

Derek2k3
July 19th, 2012, 02:21 AM
It's delayed for a month so it's a total bust?

lofter1
July 19th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Will it happen? There's lots of local resistance to many of the DOT-decreed set up spots for renting the bikes.

ZippyTheChimp
July 19th, 2012, 02:17 PM
It's delayed for a month so it's a total bust?There are four stations going in my neighborhood. The only objections are not the concept, just a couple of locations.

http://www.ebroadsheet.com/Entries/2012/7/18_July_18_Wednesday_files/shapeimage_1.png

Argued that the above location is dangerous. But the street has always been dangerous Too wide with little traffic, it should have been designed with a permanent center mall. The bike station will have a space defined by granite blocks and planters, so I think it would make the intersection safer.

Derek2k3
July 19th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Right, I always wondered why they didn't design a planted median there and that other north-south street that I'm too lazy to google map.

Merry
September 15th, 2012, 03:05 AM
Couldn't find a home for this.

Rather nice.

CB2 Likes 10 Bond Street, Wants No Liquor on Street Level

by Jessica Dailey

http://ny.curbed.com/uploads/10Bond-Street-building-thumb.jpg (http://ny.curbed.com/uploads/10Bond-Street-building.jpg)

The Land Use Committee of Community Board 2 didn't lavish praise on Annabelle Selldorf's plans for 10 Bond Street like the Landmarks Preservation Commission did (http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2012/05/16/starchitect_annabelle_selldorfs_new_10_bond_plan_r evealed.php), but they did like the revised design. Only a few points about the 7-story, 11-unit condo building gave the board pause. They wanted assurance that the 2,700-square-foot retail space along Lafayette Street would not be turned into a bar or restaurant. Owners/developers Abram Shnay and his son, Scott, said that they ideally want to have something like an art gallery, fashion boutique, or furniture store, but they were reluctant to write off food and drink completely. In turn, the board asked for a size limit stipulation, so if a restaurant did move it, the space would have to be split so it only occupied up to 1,500-square-feet. The Shnays said this sounded good, but they'd get back to the board with a hard number by the full board meeting on September 20.

http://ny.curbed.com/uploads/10-bond-street-side-thumb.jpg (http://ny.curbed.com/uploads/10-bond-street-side.jpg)
The garage door is seen here on the lower left corner of the building

Along Bond Street, the building has a street level maisonnette unit with a garage. The front is clad in mahogany so the garage blends with the building, but the board didn't like that this would be taking away a street parking space. Or, as chair Tobi Bergman candidly said, "I have a garage, so I'm against other people having one." But the townhouse currently standing has a garage, so there's already a curb cut on the property.

Once the project gets all the required approvals, it will still be a little while before we see this building rise from the ground. The garage and townhouse currently on the lot need to be torn down, then there are some remedial clean-up efforts that need to happen. Back in the day, there was gas station, and, like was the norm, the old tanks were filled with cement and left in the ground, so they need to be removed. Additionally, 10 Bond needs a special, more sturdy foundation because the subway line runs alongside the property on Lafayette and a gas line cuts across the corner.

Starchitect Annabelle Selldorf's New 10 Bond Street Plan Revealed (http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2012/05/16/starchitect_annabelle_selldorfs_new_10_bond_plan_r evealed.php) [Curbed]
10 Bond Street coverage (http://ny.curbed.com/tags/10-bond-street) [Curbed]

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2012/09/14/cb2_likes_10_bond_street_wants_no_liquor_on_street _level.php#more

londonlawyer
September 15th, 2012, 09:38 AM
I've been waiting for a long time for this crappy block to be developed. Hopefully, the two sites on the east side of Lafayette will be developed too, and landscaping will be added.

lofter1
September 15th, 2012, 11:17 AM
MODS: Could this thread title be given the addition of "Lafayette Street" to aid in searches?

lofter1
September 15th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Couldn't find a home for this.

Rather nice.

CB2 Likes 10 Bond Street, Wants No Liquor on Street Level

Starchitect Annabelle Selldorf's New 10 Bond Street Plan Revealed (http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2012/05/16/starchitect_annabelle_selldorfs_new_10_bond_plan_r evealed.php) [Curbed]
10 Bond Street coverage (http://ny.curbed.com/tags/10-bond-street) [Curbed]

Previous posts are in the "Farewell, Gasoline Alley" thread:

Farewell, Gasoline Alley; the changing face of Noho (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4525&page=5)
MODS: Could that thread title be given the addition of "Lafayette Street" to aid in searches?

lofter1
September 15th, 2012, 11:25 AM
I've been waiting for a long time for this crappy block to be developed. Hopefully, the two sites on the east side of Lafayette will be developed too, and landscaping will be added.

There are plans in line (http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2009/12/07/in_noho_chuck_closes_worst_enemy_revealed.php) for the sites on the east side of Lafayette between Great Jones & Bond.

The real stinker is the oversized concrete shell from Hell (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4525&page=3&p=341032&viewfull=1#post341032) on Great Jones just east of Lafayette, which is stuck in limbo as the developer tries to get his current non-compliant plan approved (the owners are hoping for an OK to further enlarge the already-too-big structure, but officials are saying, "If you want it bigger down low, then you have to remove some from the top").

londonlawyer
September 15th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Thanks, Lofter.

ZippyTheChimp
September 18th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Add tags; whatever you think would help.

londonlawyer
October 12th, 2012, 09:04 PM
I was on Lafayette today. It has such great old buildings. I cannot wait for that crappy Meineke muffler shop to be redeveloped. The same holds true for the huge parking lot on the northeast corner of Lafayette and Great Jones. It's horrible.

P.S.: The crappy BP on Houston can't be replaced soon enough.

lofter1
October 12th, 2012, 09:39 PM
I've not heard any peeps about what might be planned for that parking lot. Wouldn't be surprised if NYU were to pop in there. The University is one of the "stakeholders" in the recently created NoHo-Bowery Stakeholders (http://www.nohomanhattan.org/wordpress/2012/03/04/announcing-noho-bowery-stakeholders-inc/), a group of local property owners bonding together to thwart expansion plans of the NoHo BID (which was trying to claim turf from Lafayette to the Bowery).

londonlawyer
October 12th, 2012, 10:12 PM
I thought that years ago, NYU planned a dorm there. A crappy structure there would be disappointing.

Merry
March 30th, 2013, 11:39 PM
Meet Noho's Latest Loft Conversion, The Schumacher

by Sara Polsky

http://ny.curbed.com/uploads/theschumacher1-thumb.jpg (http://ny.curbed.com/uploads/theschumacher1.jpg)

36 Bleecker Street was one of the first large commercial buildings in Noho, where it played host to the Schumacher & Ettlinger printing company beginning in the 1860s. Remember the first half of that name, because you're about to hear it again. The factory is in the middle of its conversion into lofts, and the marketing team is ready to tease us all (http://www.theschumacher.com/) with—wait for it—The Schumacher's early reveal. The basics: the building will contain 20 two- to four-bedroom apartments priced from about $3 million to $25 million. Arched windows, 10'5" to 15' barrel vaulted ceilings, etc. The whole thing, developed by Stillman Development International, will hit the market later this spring, and Fredrik Eklund—along with John Gomes—is one of the brokers, so perhaps we'll get to see inside on Million Dollar Listing.

http://ny.curbed.com/uploads/schumacherprerestoration_3_13.jpg

The building, made up of one structure first built in the 1860s and two more added in the 1880s, has actually been remade before—it burned down (http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F10B12F83B5411738DDDA90B94DB405B8584F0D3) (Warning: PDF!) after construction in a fire of mysterious origin. The photo above shows what the building looked like before the current Morris Adjmi restoration began; right now, the facade, ground floor, and rooftop are being redone. The whole thing is swathed in netting:

http://ny.curbed.com/uploads/theschumachernetting-thumb.jpg (http://ny.curbed.com/uploads/theschumachernetting.jpg)

In addition to the exterior makeover, the building is getting a central courtyard from MoMa roof garden designer Ken Smith. The downtown art scene is part of the mix, too, with a permanent art program curated by Cristina Grajales, a Soho gallerist.

Official site: The Schumacher (http://www.theschumacher.com/) [theschumacher.com

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2013/03/29/meet_nohos_latest_loft_conversion_the_schumacher.p hp

londonlawyer
May 30th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Although it's not in Gasoline Alley, I was dismayed to see that the former Lukoil on Hudson has reopened and is now a Mobil. What an eyesore.

ZippyTheChimp
October 26th, 2013, 09:15 PM
10 Bond St

http://cdn.cstatic.net/images/gridfs/4fb2f1a085216d0503038221/201205_10BondSelldorf2_1.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img824/5366/ums1.jpg

ZippyTheChimp
October 26th, 2013, 09:20 PM
372 Lafayette St

http://ny.curbed.com/uploads/adjmi%20lafayette%20before%20after.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img443/8059/1s48.jpg

londonlawyer
October 27th, 2013, 12:09 AM
I would like to see Lafayette lose 2 lanes of traffic and gain wider tree-lined sidewalks.

londonlawyer
October 27th, 2013, 12:14 AM
I always wondered if something would get developed here and feared that it would diminish the Bayard Building.
New 8 story building designed by Meltzer Mandl already approved by LPC according to their website. No permits filed. More renderings in the link.

http://www.meltzermandl.com/images/com_sobi2/gallery/63/63_image_1.jpg

http://www.meltzermandl.com/index.php?option=com_sobi2&sobi2Task=sobi2Details&catid=7&sobi2Id=63&Itemid=9

Does anyone know the status of this project

lofter1
October 28th, 2013, 09:08 PM
That's a pretty old image, been around for a few years. I don't think it was ever approved by LPC (despite claims by the architect); a search for such approval yields nada. Nothing is happening at that site that indicates imminent development.

DOB shows the last application here was in 1992: Job Overview (http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/JobsQueryByLocationServlet?requestid=1&allbin=1008453&allstrt=BLEECKER%20STREET&allnumbhous=61) for 55-63 Bleecker aka 340-346 Lafayette Street

londonlawyer
October 28th, 2013, 10:01 PM
Thanks, Lofter.

lofter1
October 28th, 2013, 10:22 PM
It seems to me that the architect is playing a bit loose with the wording that accompanies this design (http://www.meltzermandl.com/index.php?option=com_sobi2&sobi2Task=sobi2Details&catid=7&sobi2Id=63&Itemid=9). Note it's never claimed that the design was actually approved by the LPC, but rather goes on about the "rigorous approval process" at LPC (which could mean it went through lots of meetings with LPC staff before the project stalled):

59 Bleecker Street, New York, NY

> Click "Project Sheet: Download (http://www.meltzermandl.com/index2.php?option=com_sobi2&sobi2Task=dd_download&fid=25&format=html&Itemid=0)" for the pdf which includes this:

Status: Design and variance approval process continues through 2010

... The concept and design underwent a consensus and rigorous approval process with the Landmarks Preservation Commission ...

lofter1
November 7th, 2013, 05:17 PM
THe facade of 37 Great Jones has been cleaned up and new windows (dark grey frames) have been installed. Street level openings are filled with plywood inserts. Interior work is on going.

Info on 37 Great Jones Street from the 2008 NoHo Historic District Extension Designation Report (http://www.nyc.gov/html/lpc/downloads/pdf/reports/NOHOExtensionReport.pdf) (page 83):

History: This utilitarian garage and warehouse, designed by architect Lewis C. Patton, was constructed for owner Ferdinand T. Hopkins in 1917-18 at a time when many of the older structures were being replaced with new commercial buildings. By the mid-1930s the building had been altered to house offices, shipping department and factory as well as storage. At that time, directories indicate that Philco Radio & Television Corporation shared the premises with Joseph Doyle, a trucker. From 1943 to 1955 the building reverted to use as a garage and warehouse for Red Ball Van Lines after which it was converted to use as a factory for Revere Metal Art Company and Steel Parts Manufacturing Company. Concord Electronics Corporation joined them around 1965 and continued in this location until recently. This building, largely intact to its early twentieth-century appearance, contributes to the mixed-use and diverse character of the NoHo East Historic District.

Ownership:

1886: Ferdinand T. Hopkins
1956: 37 Great Jones Street Corp.
1962: Parker Pen Company
1965: 37 Great Jones Corp.
1971: Revere Metal Art Co.

The initial render (http://www.josephpelllombardi.com/projects/IMAGES/37greatjonesrender.jpg) of the plan for 37 Great Jones by architect Joseph Pell Lombardi (http://www.josephpelllombardi.com/projects.html):

http://www.josephpelllombardi.com/projects/IMAGES/37greatjonesrender.jpg

How it looked recently:

http://gvshp.org/lpc/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/photo9.jpg

And how it looked in 1936 when it was a Philco Radio & Television Corporation (http://www.josephpelllombardi.com/projects/IMAGES/37GreatJones1936.jpg) warehouse:

http://www.josephpelllombardi.com/projects/IMAGES/37GreatJones1936.jpg

Merry
November 10th, 2013, 08:25 AM
How depressing. That whole streetscape is extraordinary.

What's with defacing these buildings and the removal of superb ornamentation and cornices? What purpose does it serve?

lofter1
November 10th, 2013, 11:42 AM
That stretch of streetscape along Great Jones as seen in 1936 is pretty much intact and how it looks now (except for changes in store fronts). Changes at 37 GJ actually bring it more into line with how it looked back then.

Merry
November 11th, 2013, 07:15 AM
What about that poor building on the right of 37, with that horrible paint job and sans cornice?

Is all that gorgeous ornamentation (and cornice) on building on the left of 37 still intact?

lofter1
November 11th, 2013, 01:31 PM
OK, you're right: That one to the right at 35 GJ is a mess.

Google Map Street view of that side of the block: http://goo.gl/maps/3Rnsb

45 Great Jones, the shorty to the east, is getting a vertical enlargement and will be restored.

Info from NoHo News (http://22 Bond St. Entrance, Art Window and Garden 22 Bond St. Entrance, Art Window and Garden) on other developments on this block:

25 Great Jones/22 Bond St.

Our friends at BKSK Architects have applied their magic touches to the “finger of NoHo (http://ny.curbed.com/places/25-great-jones-street).” Now 3-stories shorter (thank you, BSA) with a Bond St. address and main entrance to the residential units from Bond St., the Great Jones St. side will house ground-floor retail (no food and beverage) and has a street-wall matching the neighboring buildings on the block.

http://www.nohomanhattan.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/25-Great-Jones_Sheet14_ExistNew-web.jpg (http://www.nohomanhattan.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/25-Great-Jones_Sheet14_ExistNew-web.jpg)
25 Great Jones – before and after. Click picture to see larger image.

http://www.nohomanhattan.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/25-Great-Jones_BondStElevation-sm-web-241x300.jpg
(http://www.nohomanhattan.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/25-Great-Jones_BondStElevation-sm-web.jpg)22 Bond St. Entrance, Art Window and Garden

The Bond St. side will feature a 4-story screened wall through which one will see a garden and an elevated grove of trees. Below that to the right will be a street level window that will feature artworks. Both will be ambiently lit at night to highlight the Bond St. streetscape.

Lot line windows for the neighboring buildings on Bond St will be preserved. The west wall of the building will feature a full mural (no windows) by Jose Parla (http://www.joseparla.com/#!/portfolio/projects__installations/gesture_performing_dance,_dance_performing_gesture/), internationally known but based in Brooklyn.

Altogether this is a a big Yeah! for NoHo and finally another unique and probably significant addition to our neighborhoods mystique.

lofter1
July 30th, 2014, 12:38 AM
The first terra-cotta panel has gone up on the exterior of 10 Bond - Looks luscious, like chocolate ...

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p242/Lofter1/10%20Bond/140729_10BondTerracotta_01.jpg (http://s130.photobucket.com/user/Lofter1/media/10%20Bond/140729_10BondTerracotta_01.jpg.html)

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p242/Lofter1/10%20Bond/140729_10BondTerracotta_02.jpg (http://s130.photobucket.com/user/Lofter1/media/10%20Bond/140729_10BondTerracotta_02.jpg.html)

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p242/Lofter1/10%20Bond/140729_10BondTerracotta_03.jpg (http://s130.photobucket.com/user/Lofter1/media/10%20Bond/140729_10BondTerracotta_03.jpg.html)

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p242/Lofter1/10%20Bond/140729_10BondTerracotta_04.jpg (http://s130.photobucket.com/user/Lofter1/media/10%20Bond/140729_10BondTerracotta_04.jpg.html)

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p242/Lofter1/10%20Bond/140729_10BondTerracotta_05.jpg (http://s130.photobucket.com/user/Lofter1/media/10%20Bond/140729_10BondTerracotta_05.jpg.html)

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p242/Lofter1/10%20Bond/140729_10BondTerracotta_06.jpg (http://s130.photobucket.com/user/Lofter1/media/10%20Bond/140729_10BondTerracotta_06.jpg.html)

lofter1
July 30th, 2014, 12:44 AM
So nice I want to see some more ...

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p242/Lofter1/10%20Bond/140729_10BondTerracotta_08.jpg (http://s130.photobucket.com/user/Lofter1/media/10%20Bond/140729_10BondTerracotta_08.jpg.html)

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p242/Lofter1/10%20Bond/140729_10BondTerracotta_07.jpg (http://s130.photobucket.com/user/Lofter1/media/10%20Bond/140729_10BondTerracotta_07.jpg.html)

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p242/Lofter1/10%20Bond/140729_10BondTerracotta_09.jpg (http://s130.photobucket.com/user/Lofter1/media/10%20Bond/140729_10BondTerracotta_09.jpg.html)

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p242/Lofter1/10%20Bond/140729_10BondTerracotta_10.jpg (http://s130.photobucket.com/user/Lofter1/media/10%20Bond/140729_10BondTerracotta_10.jpg.html)

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p242/Lofter1/10%20Bond/140729_10BondTerracotta_11.jpg (http://s130.photobucket.com/user/Lofter1/media/10%20Bond/140729_10BondTerracotta_11.jpg.html)

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p242/Lofter1/10%20Bond/140729_10BondTerracotta_12.jpg (http://s130.photobucket.com/user/Lofter1/media/10%20Bond/140729_10BondTerracotta_12.jpg.html)

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p242/Lofter1/10%20Bond/140729_10BondTerracotta_13.jpg (http://s130.photobucket.com/user/Lofter1/media/10%20Bond/140729_10BondTerracotta_13.jpg.html)

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p242/Lofter1/10%20Bond/140729_10BondTerracotta_14.jpg (http://s130.photobucket.com/user/Lofter1/media/10%20Bond/140729_10BondTerracotta_14.jpg.html)

stache
July 30th, 2014, 07:33 AM
That pedicab is pretty wild.

lofter1
July 30th, 2014, 10:13 AM
When I took the shot the pedicab was just a whirl of color zipping by. It wasn't until I got home and enlarged the pic that I saw what it was.

Merry
November 27th, 2014, 09:19 AM
Schumacher Sheds Its Scaffolding To Reveal Restored Facade

by Zoe Rosenberg

http://cdn.cstatic.net/gridnailer/500x/http://cdn.cstatic.net/images/gridfs/54762777f92ea1121700fcec/2.jpg http://cdn.cstatic.net/gridnailer/500x/http://cdn.cstatic.net/images/gridfs/54762777f92ea1121700fce9/1.jpg

Noho's quirky condo development The Schumacher (http://ny.curbed.com/places/36-bleecker-street) finally shed the scaffolding that's been surrounding the building since pretty much forever ago. The milestone marks the end of the building's major facade restoration, wherein workers scraped some 50,000 layers of white paint off of the former factory's red bricks. The building's pediment, which mysteriously disappeared sometime in the past, was also brought back (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/28/nyregion/missing-roof-decorations-new-yorks-bald-spots-are-being-restored-and-recreated.html) using another, similar design by architect Edward Raht. The handsome building at 36 Bleecker Street (http://ny.curbed.com/places/36-bleecker-street) was once the home of Schumacher & Ettlinger printing factory, and is in the midsts of a conversion to 20 rather pricey apartments (http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2013/06/13/renderings_pricing_floorplans_revealed_for_nohos_n ewest.php) developed by Stillman. Only one of the building's apartments remains unsold: the $10.5 million three-bedroom 5C (http://www.elliman.com/new-york-city/schumacher-condominium-36-bleecker-street-5c-manhattan-agvsgma).

http://cdn.cstatic.net/gridnailer/500x/http://cdn.cstatic.net/images/gridfs/54762521f92ea174c2011efb/unnamed%20%281%29.jpg (http://cdn.cstatic.net/images/gridfs/54762521f92ea174c2011efb/unnamed%20%281%29.jpg) http://cdn.cstatic.net/gridnailer/500x/http://cdn.cstatic.net/images/gridfs/54762522f92ea174c2011f01/unnamed%20%282%29.jpg (http://cdn.cstatic.net/images/gridfs/54762522f92ea174c2011f01/unnamed%20%282%29.jpg)

http://cdn.cstatic.net/gridnailer/500x/http://cdn.cstatic.net/images/gridfs/54762528f92ea174c2011f30/unnamed%20%289%29.jpg (http://cdn.cstatic.net/images/gridfs/54762528f92ea174c2011f30/unnamed%20%289%29.jpg)
This 1940 tax photo of the building shows that its pediment had already disappeared by then.

Missing Roof Decorations Are Being Restored and Recreated (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/28/nyregion/missing-roof-decorations-new-yorks-bald-spots-are-being-restored-and-recreated.html) [NYT]

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/11/26/schumacher_sheds_its_scaffolding_to_reveal_restore d_facade.php#more

vanshnookenraggen
November 27th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Well done!

ZippyTheChimp
December 28th, 2014, 04:11 PM
10 Bond St

http://imageshack.com/a/img537/306/7iUGxi.jpg

londonlawyer
January 12th, 2015, 10:22 PM
Thanks, Lofter.

Our man, Lofter, really left his mark on this thread.

ZippyTheChimp
March 22nd, 2015, 06:46 PM
10 Bond St

http://imageshack.com/a/img661/8602/Ek0IBq.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img633/4581/ZRfWhF.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img911/2171/mjwRi9.jpg

RoldanTTLB
March 23rd, 2015, 12:56 AM
I really like her [Selldorf's] work. I wish I could afford a place in one of her buildings.

Tectonic
March 24th, 2015, 05:52 PM
Pretty building.

londonlawyer
March 24th, 2015, 08:16 PM
Gorgeous !