PDA

View Full Version : University/College Fees

drunknmunky
February 9th, 2004, 11:48 AM
How much money is required to go into higher education in America? There has been some rather radical changes over university fees recently in Britain and I'm wondering how they compare to those in the U.S.

Schadenfrau
February 9th, 2004, 12:50 PM
The cost varies greatly by the college. My boyfriend's college was entirely free. My college now costs over 40K a year.

This should offer some insight:

http://www.princetonreview.com/college/research/rankings/rankings.asp

Gulcrapek
February 9th, 2004, 04:20 PM
For the most part, it's overpriced. My sister goes to a school whose yearly tuition is ~$37,000, and none of her classes have less than 50 kids.

maroualle
February 10th, 2004, 02:02 AM
Well, that's one of the basic principle of capitalism: the more money you have, the best schools will accept you....

From what i've understood, you'd better have a degree from the best universities like Yale, Harvard, Princeton......to have a chance to have a great and well payed job....and of course those universities are very expensive.

I really think it is time to change that behaviour (not only in the US). Children and teenagers are the future of our country and we have to give them all the chances possible no matter the color of your skin and the thickness of your wallet.

VOTING FOR ME IS VOTING FOR YOU :-)

drunknmunky
February 10th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Until very recently the maximum amount a university could charge anually was 1225, even for top universities such as Oxford and Cambridge. It is now changing so that they can charge a maximum of 3000 a year. If you have a low salary you recieve a grant; the government are encouraging the working class to go into higher education.
I didnt think it would be so expensive in the States! Thanks for the info!

Freedom Tower
February 10th, 2004, 10:06 PM
Does the UK have a standardized test to get into college like we have the SAT? If so could someone in the USA take it and go to college there? Is it more expensive for a foreigner?

maroualle
February 11th, 2004, 06:18 AM
Hi John,
I don't know about the UK but in belgium we also have a test phase depending on the section you want to follow like engineer, medical science...It is quite cheap to go to the university here....

I remember that 10 years ago i wanted to do my MBA in California but i had to pay something like 20.000 USD/year plus the rent for a place to live.....which was not affordable for me, of course

drunknmunky
February 11th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Does the UK have a standardized test to get into college like we have the SAT? If so could someone in the USA take it and go to college there?

http://www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/courses/enreq.shtml

I hope this link helps. Most college applications also include an interview and some written work.

Tuition fees in the EU stay the same, but internationally it will vary depending on the course and university you choose. This is how much Oxford charges:

For international students studying Arts subjects (including Mathematics) the tuition fee for students starting their degrees in 2003-4 is 7,818 per year; for Science subjects (but also including Computation, Fine Art and Music) it is 10,424 and for Clinical Medicine it is 19,108 per year. International students must also pay the college fee which varies between 3,000 and 4,000 per year.

www.ox.ac.uk

Ptarmigan
March 14th, 2004, 01:01 AM
Those expensive colleges, you just pay for the name, prestige, and recognition, especially those private universities. The quality is all the same actually in terms of teaching. I can pay less and get the same quality at some regular state university. I go to UT-Austin, which is cheap by any standard. They did raise the tuition, but its still cheap compared to other state schools and private univerisities.

Freedom Tower
March 14th, 2004, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the help you guys. I checked out the prices, it is definately cheaper in Europe. Even after converting pounds, or Euros to dollars there was still a good price difference. How come more people don't go to college in Europe?