PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Brighton Beach

DNYCB
February 21st, 2004, 04:05 PM
Hello,
I am moving to Brighton Beach for school and I was wondering what the area was like? Is it a safe area? Is it crowded, Suppose I wanted to go to a club in Manhattan, would it be safe being on the subway at 3 or 4 A/
Thank you for taking time to answer

Gulcrapek
February 21st, 2004, 10:09 PM
Brighton Beach has a few different areas. Overall it's pretty safe, but there are some not so great areas. Where in the neighborhood are you moving to?

Brighton has the Q and now the B, the local and express to Manhattan respectively. Brighton Beach Avenue is the main commercial hub, and if you're hungry, clothes shopping, or whatever, you'll find everything there. It's pretty much 95% Russian in that area. As for density, it's pretty dense for the most part. North of ~BB Ave is a little less so than south.

If you give me more specs maybe I know more about it...

December 19th, 2005, 11:48 AM
You don't want to be in a 95% russian neighborhood. That should be out of the question.

MrSpice
December 19th, 2005, 12:03 PM
mr. guest - Why do you say that? I live on Brighton Beach. I don't think it's any worse than most areas in Brooklyn and Queens. How are russians worse than 100s of other ethnic groups in the city?

DNYCB: Brighton Beach is a predominantyly russian neighborhood, as people here noted. Here are my pros/cons:

Pros:
1) It's the last station on Q express train so in the morning you will always have a seat which is great since you can either sleep or read on your way to Manhattan
2)It's by the ocea and in the summer the temperature on Brighton Beach is a few degrees cooler than inland. You can walk on Boardwalk and chill on the beach. It's great.
3) There are lots of grocery stores on Brighton Beach avenue. Many of those sell russian foods, but also all other foods. You don't have to go far to buy groceries or other things.
4) The area south of Brighton Beach avenue is generally safe. The whole are is generally safe. However, at night, like anywhere, you can see some homeless/drunk guys walking around. There's very few of them. I have never had a problem, though.

Cons:
1) relatively far from Manhattan
2) if you are looking for cool Manhattan-style bars/clubs, this is not the place (try Park Slope and Caroll Gardens)
3) there are lots of senior citizens living in the area, many of them of russian decent. If you are looking for a cool neighborgood with lots of trendy stores and hip young people, this is not the place.

ryan
December 19th, 2005, 01:13 PM
You don't want to be in a 95% russian neighborhood. That should be out of the question. ...if you are xenophobic.

antinimby
December 20th, 2005, 02:34 AM
I don't know where that 95% came from but I don't think it is accurate. If I have to guess, I'd say anywhere from 50-60%. Like most of NY, there are plenty of other ethnic groups in the neighborhood. You'll find Italians, Asians, Jews, Hispanics, Arabs and Anglos also. I'm not Russian or Ukrainian but IMO, they are very nice people. You'll have no problems in Brighton Beach at all.

antinimby
December 20th, 2005, 02:43 AM
Oh I just realized the originator of this thread posed the question back in Feb. '04, he/she probably found out how wonderful Brighton Beach is already. :)

MrSpice
December 20th, 2005, 08:14 PM
antinimby: I am originally from Russia and I do live on Brighton Beach. To be fair, it's not exactly "wonderful" It's a place where a lot of senior citizens live. I would think that 50% of the residents here are above 50. From the Brighton Beach to the boardwalk it's probably 98% russian. Once you cross the Brighton Beach avenue and go north towards Oceanview, there are some mexicans living there - many of them laborers working in grocery and other stores on Brighton Beach Avenue. You go a bit further and you see an increasing presense of Pakistani residents. On Neptune avenue (2 large blocks from Brighton Beach avenue) there's now a sizable Pakistani community. If you cross the Coney Island avenue you will see a large condimnium complex - Oceana. The apartments there cost from 700K and up to 3 mil for a large penthouse. So the disparity of income is amazing. As I noted before, it's a nice neighborhood if all you care about is affordable living, ocean nearby, access to subway and cheap groceries. I don't think someone who is used to living on, say, Upper East Side or in Santa Monica would refer to this area as wonderful. It's a typical immigrant neighborhood similar to many others in Brooklyn or Queens.