PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on moving to Central Park West and 104th st...

Allan
March 19th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Hello all-

My wife and I are considering moving to Central Park West and 104th Street. (The entrance is actually on 104th about 25 feet from CPW.) We were wondering about the safety as well as convenience (or lack thereof) in moving there. We both get home relatively late from work (between 10 and midnight) and want to make sure that we will be safe. Additionally, is it okay to walk from there to Broadway late at night? What about conveniences? Are there any?

Lastly, anyone have any opinions on whether we should even consider this move??? If anyone lives in the neighborhood, please let me know!!!

Thanks
Allan

Allan
March 19th, 2004, 05:37 PM
CMANDALA-

Thanks. I am in fact a NYer. I currently live on the UES, but I went to Columbia undergrad so I know Morningside Heights well. (I've also lvied in the 60s on the West side and the 40s on the east). THat being said, I've walked West of CPW in this area (Manhattan Ave and Columbus) and they appeared a bit shady.... Thoughts? I just don't think we'd feel comfortable walking from CPW to Broadway along 104th St. Thoughts?

ASchwarz
March 19th, 2004, 07:24 PM
Allan, have you walked the surrounding blocks recently? The neighborhood has gentrified quite a bit in the last 2-3 years. I am a grad student at Columbia, and walk the nearby streets quite often. I have never heard of any incidents in the area. The only reason people are hesitant is because of the projects on Amsterdam. If projects make you uncomfortable, maybe you shouldn't live there. I don't think there is any reason for concern. Public housing in New York is generally decently run and secure.

Broadway is always very safe and busy, even at night. Your neighbors will generally be professionals. There is a new building at CPW and 107th that is selling condos for millions. I think the penthouses are going for $7 million. There's no way people would pay such prices in an iffy neighborhood. If you're still unsure, walk the blocks at night and gauge your reactions.