PDA

View Full Version : survival tips for a newcomer

jaycee78
April 11th, 2004, 11:23 PM
Hello All,

I am 22, a college grad, and live in California. New York City calls to me and I'm asking for people to help me by telling me their stories of how they were able to successfully make the transition from newbie to Manhattanite.

Why did you come to NYC, how did you get your foot in the door for a job and maybe a career, how were you able to pay rent, overcome the biting winters, etc.?

Looking back at your experiences, what are your tips for survival? I'd love to hear them!

Ninjahedge
April 12th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Rent = VERY difficult. You will probably be best suited to look for an apartment you can share with some people, even if you don't know them.

If you are lucky, you will find some great people, but just like college, you may have a WEIRD roomate, so be careful what you bring and what you leave lying around.

When you are in the city, try to not look up too much, walk TOO slow, or have your mouth hanging open when you see some of the good, bad or ugly of this town. You will be fine.

Getting a job is difficult depending on what you are looking for. I would recommend you start looking, research your company, then send written requests for an interview backed up with a timed phone call.

The more you know about the company you are going for, the more they are inclined to like, and respect, your application.

Aside from that it is pretty much all the same. Except that it is CROWDED and a bit less touchy-feely than Cali.

Don't get discouraged, bit don't expect the same NYC you see on TV.

Oh, one other thing. Bring a warm coat and some rain gear.... ;)