PDA

View Full Version : Giuliani for Governor?

BigMac
April 14th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Newsday
April 14, 2004

Poll: NYers want Rudy for governor

Associated Press

Poll: Who do you want for governor? (http://www.nynewsday.com/news/local/manhattan/nyc-poll0415,0,7324072.story?coll=nyc-manheadlines-manhattan)

Former New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani is an early favorite for governor in 2006 among New York voters, according to a Quinnipiac University poll released Thursday.

In a series of hypothetical matchups, registered voters favored Democratic U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer over incumbent Republican Gov. George Pataki 51 percent to 39 percent if the 2006 governor's race were held now. They favored Democratic state Attorney General Eliot Spitzer over Pataki 47 percent to 42 percent.

Surveyed voters preferred Giuliani over Schumer for governor by 56 percent to 36 percent. They favored the ex-mayor over Spitzer 59 percent to 34 percent.

"That old maxim that people get fed up with faces they see a lot on TV doesn't seem to apply to Mayor Giuliani," said Maurice Carroll, director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute.

"But Gov. Pataki is learning that another old maxim is true. Third terms are bad news. His job approval numbers are OK, but he trails both Democrats who want to deny him a fourth term -- if he wants a fourth term."

In the poll, 49 percent approved the job Pataki is doing, while 36 percent disapproved.

Schumer had an approval rating of 61 percent, with 19 percent disapproval; Spitzer had 60 percent approval, 14 percent disapproval; and Democratic Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton had a 62 percent approval rating, her all-time highest in the survey, and 30 percent disapproval.

The poll showed Democratic U.S. Sen. John Kerry beating incumbent Republican George Bush for president 53 percent to 36 percent. Add independent Ralph Nader to the mix, and Kerry slipped to 49 percent and Bush 35 percent, with Nader favored by 6 percent.

The poll, conducted between April 5 and April 12, surveyed 1,279 New York state registered voters. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 2.7 percentage points.

Copyright 2004 Newsday, Inc.

MidnightRambler
April 14th, 2004, 08:17 PM
anyone would be better than pataki.

TLOZ Link5
April 14th, 2004, 11:23 PM
anyone would be better than pataki.

At least Giuliani would be able to strike a balance between aiding the City and upstate equally. Pataki's blatant pandering to upstate at the expense of the City is starting to get sickening.

MidnightRambler
April 16th, 2004, 11:24 PM
why doesn't the city just secede (sp) from the state?

TLOZ Link5
April 17th, 2004, 05:12 AM
why doesn't the city just secede (sp) from the state?

Believe me, that thought has seriously crossed the minds of eighty percent of New Yorkers--so long as we get to keep the name New York; they should rename themselves. I am currently half-considering it, though I hold out some hope that upstate can rise up to the Sisyphian task of getting its damn act together.

BTW, your spelling is correct.

ZippyTheChimp
April 17th, 2004, 11:00 AM
Secession would not get the support of the Democratic Party, not just nationally, but in New York City as well. At present, the city's overwhelming democratic base delivers all of the state's 31 electoral votes to the party.

With city population 40% of the state total, that would put about 18 electoral votes up for grabs. I'm sure Peter Vallone realizes this. His secession bill is a platform to publicize the inequities, but the prospect for secession is slim.

TLOZ Link5
April 17th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Upstaters need to realize exactly what the economic engine of this state is. I'll give you a hint: it sure as heck ain't Buffalo.

phxmania2001
April 22nd, 2004, 02:39 PM
Upstaters need to realize exactly what the economic engine of this state is. I'll give you a hint: it sure as heck ain't Buffalo.

As a born-and-raised Upstater, I think what makes Upstate so hostile towards the city (and vice versa) is the same syndrome that afflicts the younger brother of the neighborhood's most popular kid. Most Upstaters realize what keeps this state going; they are just incapable of admitting it. :wink: