PDA

View Full Version : Boring hotel location?

codex897
April 21st, 2004, 09:04 AM
I'm in New York next week for a fortnight. During the weekdays I'll have work friends with me, but not for the weekend. Last time I was there our hotel was midtown, this time however the powers that be have chosen one in the financial district by the WFC.
My question is, what is there to do on an evening/weekend in that area? Any good bars, nightclubs or do I need to be looking towards TriBeCa or other areas for evening entertainment? If so, is it safe to walk between these areas or better to take a cab?

Thanks.

Schadenfrau
April 21st, 2004, 11:08 AM
The financial district pretty much shuts down at night. You'll be very close to Tribeca, so you might as well walk there.

NYatKNIGHT
April 21st, 2004, 11:27 AM
There are more clubs and bars in nearby Tribeca and the Lower East Side, but Lower Manhattan does have its share of good restaurants and bars, plenty of Old New York attractions, and yes it is plenty safe to walk around. You can easily get over to Brooklyn from there, and even midtown is within reach with cabs and trains.

I can personally vouch for the Paris Cafe on South Street, and also Jeremy's Ale House, John Street Ale House, Full Shilling, and Ulysses'.

Citysearch (http://newyork.citysearch.com/?where=Financial%20District%20Neighborhood%20in%20 New%20York&cslink=topbar_home)

Schadenfrau
April 21st, 2004, 11:39 AM
Also, if you're going to Tribeca, please visit the Odeon. It's an institution.

codex897
April 21st, 2004, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the link NYatKNIGHT most usefull. I'll have to find out what the Odeon is. Over here it's a cinema! I think I'll wander around and see the different offerings of that area of your fine city.

Schadenfrau
April 21st, 2004, 12:17 PM
You're obviously not a fan of precious 80s brat-lit, Codex.

Here's a link to a review of the Odeon:
http://www.newyorkmetro.com/pages/details/4291.htm

You'd also do well to pick up a copy of the Time Out New York travel book. Their series focuses more on nightlife than the others I've seen, and the Tokyo guide got me through a fun-filled trip quite nicely.

Have fun.