PDA

View Full Version : Gay guy living in NY this summer

dferigmu
May 1st, 2004, 02:29 PM
I was just wondering; how's a good way to enter the gay community in New York? I will be living at NYU this summer. I definitely plan on going to Pride, but where are good places to go? Are there any other big events? What are the good bars, clubs and areas to go to to meet people?

Thanks!

billyblancoNYC
May 2nd, 2004, 02:31 AM
Walk around Chelsea (around the 20s on 8th ave and the vicinity) or in Hell's Kitchen (40s and 50s on 8th and 9th ave and the vicinity). Also, the West Village and the Hudson River Park seem to be hot spots. These are the main gay areas of the city now and can always see what's going on.

Also, look on the internet for gay publications or guides in NYC. I assume they would be helpful.

JMGarcia
May 2nd, 2004, 10:52 AM
www.hx.com

longshoreman
May 3rd, 2004, 11:40 AM
:roll:

krulltime
May 3rd, 2004, 12:10 PM
Alot of the gay restaurants, bars and clubs are around 7th ave and 8th ave and between 16st and 23st. :wink:

There are also other gay stuff all over the city and in other boroughs as well. but I dont know where exactly.

BrooklynRider
May 6th, 2004, 03:04 PM
The city itself is very gay. Although the neighborhoods mentioned (i.e. Chelsea, East & West Village, Upper West Side, Midtown West and Park Slope In Brooklyn) have large gay populatons, this is New York, and the percentage of gays is generally larger than other cities.

You can try the LGBT Center on West 13th Street (off of 7th Ave) to gather info. It really is a good place to start. Club-wise, HX, The Blade, Gay City and other gay mags & newspapers can be found in street distribution box all over the city. Unlike other cities, the "gay" scene in NYC is not underground, isolated or segregated. Gay business establishments are pretty easy to spot and gaybars relatively easy to identify.

Enjoy!

MidnightRambler
May 7th, 2004, 12:46 AM
:roll:

:?

dferigmu
May 10th, 2004, 08:28 AM
The city itself is very gay. Although the neighborhoods mentioned (i.e. Chelsea, East & West Village, Upper West Side, Midtown West and Park Slope In Brooklyn) have large gay populatons, this is New York, and the percentage of gays is generally larger than other cities.

You can try the LGBT Center on West 13th Street (off of 7th Ave) to gather info. It really is a good place to start. Club-wise, HX, The Blade, Gay City and other gay mags & newspapers can be found in street distribution box all over the city. Unlike other cities, the "gay" scene in NYC is not underground, isolated or segregated. Gay business establishments are pretty easy to spot and gaybars relatively easy to identify.

Enjoy!

Thanks! You guys are being very helpful. Except longshoreman; what's that expression for?