PDA

View Full Version : STUPID recording industry!!

Ninjahedge
May 7th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Greedy bastards.

When will they ever figure out that you have to sell it for LESS online than youcan get it in a store! They are wondering why their online stores do not do well....

:P

NYPost article gathered from a TomsHardware post.... (http://www.nypost.com/business/20309.htm)

TonyO
May 7th, 2004, 03:16 PM
While I would rarely be the first one to defend the recording industry, this will be a simple supply-demand situation. If people think this is too much, then they will either steal the music or not buy it. Then the price will come back down.

I think the current music downloading model is much better than it used to be - where you paid 16.99 + tax for an album you couldn't hear first in its entirety. Now you can check it out online first and then buy what you want. Seems fair to me.

Ninjahedge
May 10th, 2004, 10:52 AM
Look at it this way tonyo.

Distributing costs are less for putting it on the net. The method of distribution (IP) is already being provided by the consumer, NOT the distributor.

The price they are offering is pretty much LIST PRICE for a full album, case and lining included. The quality given is not full CD quality either. You get 128/160 quality from most of these "deals".

Also, unlike a CD, you can only copy these a certain amount of times. While I know this is to reduce pirating, all it really does is make it a PITA to have songs that you bought on a few mix "tapes" or the like (Make a CD for your car, have a copy on your portable player, etc etc.....).

So the thing that annoys me is that they have a semi-successful business model for music distribution (not huge) and they are letting the $$ get in their eyes before the thing even takes hold.

If ITUNES was HUGELY successful, I would say that the price increase was warranted, but it ISN'T. So, like all the other record company online distribution sites that have failed miserably, they are forcing this one that at least kept its head above water, down under the waves with the rest of them.

:(

TonyO
May 10th, 2004, 11:47 AM
If the re-recording rules upset you that much, there are ways around it. Just burn a cd and rip it back to your pc. All rights management are then removed and you have normal MP3's.

Whether the price increase is warranted is debatable. Itunes success is debatable also, their sales are growing at a good pace (as there is nothing to compare it to because it is new).

You pay more for things that are more in demand. So if you want the latest Britney jingle, you'll pay more. It just makes sense. If each song were $10, then I would agree that it is out of control.

TLOZ Link5
May 10th, 2004, 03:59 PM
There's talk that the RIAA wants iTunes to raise the price of downloading tracks--even as high as $2.50 a pop. That will essentially defeat the purpose of purchasing music online: that it's cheaper and more convenient. If that happens, though I doubt it will, I'll never use iTunes again.

Ninjahedge
May 11th, 2004, 10:35 AM
There's talk that the RIAA wants iTunes to raise the price of downloading tracks--even as high as $2.50 a pop. That will essentially defeat the purpose of purchasing music online: that it's cheaper and more convenient. If that happens, though I doubt it will, I'll never use iTunes again.

That is what I am talking about.

They are going after a volitile market.

Also, there are ways of ripping if you have decent analog equipment. If you really want to get an album you can do it the old fasioned way with a direct analog to digital transcription.

That is what the Hakz and streetcorner pirates will do if they need to.

They have to rethink the buisness model. The old method of delivering a solid tangable commodity is not fitting for this new generation. As soon as they see this and work some new ideas into it, they may get a sucessfull strategy that will earn them less ire and more money from their consumer base.

Ptarmigan
August 4th, 2004, 01:19 AM
Sorry to bump this. The recording industry has themselves to blame because they sell CDs at a high price. With that same amount of money, you can get a DVD with lots of cool stuff. Frankly, I'd be more concerned of pirates who are actually making a profit and using the money to fund terrorism.

Ninjahedge
August 4th, 2004, 10:36 AM
That is one thing I am curious about. DVD technology is becoming pretty commonplace, and relatively cheap.

What prevents these guys from offering a studio-quality rip of an album on DVD rather than CD?

It will not help a hell of a lot, but even with 1MB/S an 8G album would take 2.2 hours to load as compared to a 700 meg album taking 12 minutes.

And if you want to talk about ripping, there is always the possibility of making the DVD's have special features, such as multitrack capabilities, that would not be available using the programs available now...