PDA

View Full Version : Musicals

Gulcrapek
May 14th, 2004, 10:33 PM
What was the best you've seen? Doesn't have to be Broadway or off-Broadway or anything.

Last night I went to West Side Story at Murrow HS. It was, as all Murrow plays that I've seen were, great. They put on four plays a year I think.

I've only seen 2 Broadway shows but I liked Rent.

My favorite is either Anything Goes or Once Upon A Mattress, both at Murrow.

Edward
May 14th, 2004, 10:48 PM
Wicked (http://www.playbill.com/events/event_detail/2236.html) at Gershwin theatre was fabulous, I was humming the songs for days. Hairspray (http://www.playbill.com/events/event_detail/4614.html) was not bad. Incidentally, Rent sucks, IMHO.

NYatKNIGHT
May 17th, 2004, 12:05 PM
I thought Rent was trying too hard and kind of boring. Still haven't seen Wicked, though I enjoyed the book the play is based on. I thought The Full Monty very funny, a musical for guys who don't normally enjoy musicals. Not sure if that's even playing anymore. The Producers was fun too with N. Lane and M. Broderick.

flat head
June 4th, 2004, 10:08 AM
give me Charlie and the choclate factory every time!

"cheer up Charlie", "Take a look, and you'll see, a world of pure imagination..." and many, many more...

good stuff... GOOD StUfF...

RandySavage
June 4th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Growing up, my family used to go to musicals a lot. I thought "Les Miserables" had far and away the best music, best story and best sets.

Other classics: "Guys and Dolls" with Nathan Lane, "Phantom of the Opera"

flat head
June 4th, 2004, 10:53 AM
...Chigago was good also...

krulltime
June 4th, 2004, 10:57 AM
I went to see 'Mama mia' in march with my family. It was fun. The way that they put ABBA songs into an act was kind of interesting.

I am still waiting for one about Madonna songs...That will be great! :D

BrooklynRider
June 4th, 2004, 01:17 PM
I see a lot of theater...

Best Musical on Broadway right now? Assasins or Avenue Q

Best Musical I've ever seen? Dreamgirls, The Life, A Chorus Line

It's easier to list the worst on Broadway right now:

Aida
Mama Mia

NewYorkYankee
June 4th, 2004, 10:26 PM
Aida as one of the worst!? :shock: I LOVED THIS PLAY! My father and i saw it as our fisrt Broadway show and we loved it, not to mention when we return to NY in July so I can visit colleges we are seeing it again! Matter of opinion I guess though.

krulltime
June 5th, 2004, 12:29 AM
Urinetown and Hairspray...great shows! Alot of fun.

NewYorkYankee
June 5th, 2004, 06:44 PM

Urinetown...just the name of this musical makes me not want to see it!

krulltime
June 5th, 2004, 08:50 PM
Urinetown souds funny but it is a great show indeed.

There is a law against urinating outside and you have to pay public restrooms to use the urinals or toilets. The water system is being control and so there is no otherway but public restrooms. It is a lot of fun with music and dancing.

I recommend it :wink:

NewYorkYankee
June 5th, 2004, 09:43 PM
I can see it now, men jumping around holding themselves sings "I have to PEEEEEEE, I have to PEEE, IIIIII HAVE TO PEEEEE (With an opera type tone), lol

krulltime
June 5th, 2004, 09:53 PM
:lol: well...sort of. But add women too.

flat head
June 7th, 2004, 12:08 PM

Urinetown...just the name of this musical makes me not want to see it!

WHAAAT!?... a name like urinetown and hairspray is exactly the type of title that would make me want to rush straight out of the house, without locking the door, in order to get the best seat in the house!!!...

krulltime
June 7th, 2004, 12:23 PM
WHAAAT!?... a name like urinetown and hairspray is exactly the type of title that would make me want to rush straight out of the house, without locking the door, in order to get the best seat in the house!!!...

Exactly! :wink:

NYatKNIGHT
June 8th, 2004, 02:36 PM
I saw Forbidden Broadway (http://www.forbiddenbroadway.com/) last night, thought it was hysterical. It's a parody of Broadway musicals.

krulltime
June 8th, 2004, 03:33 PM
I saw Forbidden Broadway (http://www.forbiddenbroadway.com/) last night, thought it was hysterical. It's a parody of Broadway musicals.

I always wonder about this show...It looks like a fun one. Thanks!