PDA

View Full Version : New Jersey Makes Women Pay

Jasonik
June 2nd, 2004, 10:47 PM
Ladies' nights 'discriminatory'

A New Jersey official has ruled that ladies' nights are unfair and discriminate against men.

Offering free nightclub entrance and cut-price cocktails just for women is illegitimate, the official ruled.

Senior civil rights official Frank Vespa-Papaleo said eradicating discrimination must remain more important than business interests.

The decision, which carries the weight of a court ruling, could be applied across the US state.

The New Jersey official agreed with David Gillespie, a customer of a bar who claimed he was unfairly discriminated against because his gender prevented him from taking advantage of the discount.

'Puzzled'

The owner of the Coastline bar and restaurant in Cherry Hill, the establishment at the centre of the case, said he was surprised by the ruling, but confirmed there would be no more ladies' nights for the foreseeable future.

"I was puzzled," Chris Mourtos told BBC News Online.

"In 26 years of having ladies' nights on Wednesdays, we have only ever had one complaint. One complaint - and he won!"

He said that trying to balance the promotions was not an option.

"We tried a guys' night years ago, but nobody turned up. No women came so the guys didn't stick around."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/americas/3771339.stm

Published: 2004/06/02 20:10:00 GMT

BBC MMIV

krulltime
June 3rd, 2004, 10:22 AM
LAST CALL FOR LADIES NIGHTS IN NEW JERSEY BARS

By FREDRIC U. DICKER and BILL HOFFMANN
June 3, 2004

Jersey Girls who enjoy cheap nights of boozing may soon have to cross the Hudson to drink the Garden State says bars that hold "Ladies Nights" are discriminating against men.

The Division on Civil Rights in Trenton ruled yesterday that watering holes break the law every time they serve half-price or 2-for-1 drinks to women or offer them free admission, and don't offer the same deal to guys.

The ruling stems from a 6-year-old complaint filed by a man.

David Gillespie claimed it wasn't fair for women to waltz into the Coastline Tavern in Cherry Hill for free and get half-price drinks while men had to fork over a $5 admission fee and pay full price.

New York state has no "Ladies Night" statute.

Richard Mann, supervising investigator of the State Liquor Authority, said his agency is always ready to investigate complaints, but "personally, I'm not aware of any."

Yesterday, managers of Manhattan hot spots that give women price breaks said they'd welcome Jersey drinkers.

"Ladies Night is all in good fun. The women love it and the men love it. It shouldn't be stopped anywhere," said Jackie Squatriglia of Coyote Ugly on First Avenue.

Martin Codd, director of Webster Hall in the East Village, said, "I think the entire male population of New York is breathing a sigh of relief it didn't happen here."

NYPOST

krulltime
June 3rd, 2004, 10:25 AM
The Division on Civil Rights in Trenton ruled yesterday that watering holes break the law every time they serve half-price or 2-for-1 drinks to women or offer them free admission, and don't offer the same deal to guys.

Wait so this stuff really happens? I wasn't even aware. Well they should it had at least a one night for guys. :roll:

NYatKNIGHT
June 4th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Didn't men invent Ladies' Night?

TonyO
June 4th, 2004, 10:35 AM
I wouldn't want to be the guy who inspired this. A lot of pent-up NJ men are going to be looking for him.

Dumb legislation. This is what your pols do for you.

Schadenfrau
June 4th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Legally, I think this is a pretty sound case. There enough examples of gender discrimination on the books to back this up.

Personally, I avoid any bar advertising a ladies night like the plague. I like my sleaze a little less frat-tastic.

NYatKNIGHT
November 10th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Another place with a good deal for chicks:

http://pbase.com/image/36189472.chicksdrinkfree.jpg