PDA

View Full Version : The New York Hotel Pennsylvania

DKfreddy
June 7th, 2004, 02:13 PM
I'm going to New York for the first time, on july 9th. I will be staying at the Hotel Pennsylvania. It looks like a great hotel, my aunt stayed there once and really liked it. But then i read some reviews on the net and I must say ... now I'm really scared! I read some of the most horrible things, like a bathroom missing a wall and windows so dirty that it's impossible to see anything outside. :shock:

Is this really true, is Hotel Pennsylvania a horrible hotel??

:?: :?: :?:

Edward
June 8th, 2004, 10:23 PM
I think that would not be your typical experience at the hotel; besides, if you want to see New York City, you should not spend too much time in your hotel room anyway ;)

rocca
June 21st, 2004, 11:38 PM
Could you recommend me some cheap places?

zepplin100
June 22nd, 2004, 01:56 PM
I stayed there last year and it wasn't too bad. Cheap rooms have not been renovated in a really long time. There are no views out the cheap rooms as they most likely face one of the light wells. I hope you are not planning to see the city out of your hotel. Pack up your book bag with items you'll need throughout the day and be a tourist. Go to the Met, I guarantee that you'll be gone the whole day and not even know it. Rooms that cost more have been renovated recently and are a little nicer. I think that Pennsylvania is a true bargain. I don't think you're gonna find any place cheaper in Manhattan with a better location. For $80 a night we were in the middle of Manhattan, across from Penn Station, I can't complain about that. If I wanted to go anywhere i could walk to Penn and grab a subway in minutes. Empire State was just 2 blocks away, as was Macy's. I say go for it, if you don't like your room then ask them for another one or upgrade. If all else fails, grab your bags and hit times square, I'm sure you'll find a hotel or two there.

Jeffreyny
June 24th, 2004, 10:05 PM
In all honesty the Hotel Pennsylvania is a bit run down and not in a very upscale area...it's a fast food restaurant type area. The best cheap hotels in NYC are the Habitat, Park Central and On the Avenue. All of these are either new or recently renovated.

Jonny
June 28th, 2004, 02:56 PM
I stayed at this hotel in August - September 2002, and had no problems at all. Excellent location, nice and cheap, and as Edward and zepplin100 both said, you will hardly use the hotel for anything but to sleep. I've read the bad reviews online too, but from personal experience I wouldn't hesitate to go back to that hotel.

Hof
December 7th, 2004, 01:43 PM
I've come to the Pennsylvania's defense before,so I'm sort of an expert now.
Despite it's two--star reputation,it's still where I stay when I want to be near everything that is New York to me.
It's faded glory speaks of years of NY history.You can almost see the tuxedoed One Hundred passing through the marbled lobby,on their way to join the other plutocrats at a Glen Miller concert on the Roof.
It's actually very clean,but it does show it's age.Any complaints I've ever had about the rooms,management has taken care of me.
There have been a few horror stories,like the airshaft mini-cubicle I once had.
The mirror above the sink was just,you know,missing,leaving an ominous hole in the wall where I saw ancient bricks and mortar and a lot of dusty cables and pipes.It was Dante's passage,a dreadful apparition.
I could stick my head into the TV-sized portal and see twenty stories up or down a dank,brick shaft.It was more interesting than the view,but it smelled like a moldy morgue and spooked the hell out of me.Management gave me a better,upgraded room.
Most of the times I've stayed there,the rooms were OK,no problems.
But I only use the room for sleeping and storage and at $80-$100/night,I don't make too many judgements.
I've stayed in $200 rooms in other NY hotels that were unbelieveably horrible,totally unnacceptable.
From the Pennsylvania,I can walk to Javits or the ESB in the time it takes to eat a pretzel.I can find $5 dress shirts or $225 neckties less than 5 minutes from the hotel's elevators,along the 34th Street bazaar--and Macy's is STILL the best place to be on a rainy afternoon.
If I walk a little north,I'm at Union Square;if I walk the same distance south,I'm almost in the Village.Times Square is 30 minutes,20 if you don't stop for a slice.
Sure,the area is Fastfood Hell,but most places are open late and they all deliver to the hotel,a godsend on crummy,stuck-in-the-room days.There is,fortunately,an interesting variety of sit-down restaurants in the immediate area and there are a lot of pubs,including a couple of my favorites--the Blarney Rock,right outside the hotel,and Scalliwag's,a great local pub 2 blocks north,often filled with Garment District models and cops.
If I want out of the area,Penn Station is across the street.There,I can catch a train,get a cab,hop a bus.Just outside the hotel is a Subway stop.Five minutes from my room,I'm transporting through New York.
I visit the city about twice a year,and I've stayed at the Penn many times.I was seduced by the price,but at 80 bucks a night,I also knew what to expect.
For someone who would rather use the hotel money saved for exploring New York,the Penn is ideal,and an extra hundred a day in the pocket for fun in the Big City makes the less-than-stellar accomodations a worthy tradeoff.
Next time I'm in New York,I'll probably stay there.

londonguy
December 8th, 2004, 05:41 AM
Well i stayed there at the end of jan last year. First off you walk in and in to reception and its very impressive, the staff polite which is nice but there is normaly a bit of a que to check in but thats fine. There is tons of lifts so it doesnt take long to get to your floor. Well as soon as i walked out it smelled very damp which isnt nice. I got to my room and really needed to go to the loo where i found an unflushed toilet which is a bit of a nightmare to say the least. It is true that you cant see out the window because of the thick dirt which i have a pic off so i will try upload it. I also broke the blind that was hagging off the wall. It did smell damp but i was in new york who cares. One other thing the shower is very painful its like getting blasted by a firemans hos. Im going this jan but staying at the belvadere which by the reviews and a rating of #19 its gonna be a nice hotel :D. I booked it from http://hotelbelvederenewyork.com/ and got 8 nighs for Ģ620 which is awsome so if you can change try here but if not dont wurry the hotel is fine for sleeping your not gonna be spending all your time there and have a good trip :D

Gunslinger
December 17th, 2004, 06:10 AM
Could you recommend me some cheap places?

I've been to NYC several times recently and have stayed in numerous hotels.

If you log on to one of the Hotel Discount websites you can get some real bargins

For me, (personal opinion coming up) I have enjoyed staying at the Novotel on Broadway

Great for first time visitor as it's close to Times Sq and 42nd St Subway
Rooms are a good size for NYC (once stayed in the Pickwick Arms - clean, safe but very small) and friendly helpful staff. Even got an outside terrace where you can smoke - if your so inclined.

Well work the extra $25 dollars IMHO - great location, clean rooms and some good delis and diners nearby

PS: Will also echo the previous posts - spend as little time as possible in your room - see the city - it's mandatory :lol:

elfo
April 6th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Anybody knows how are bathrooms in Pennsylvania hotel? I would need to know if they are wide, spacious, if there is the shower or the bathtub, and things like these.

I looked on internet and I wasn't able to find a picture of this hotel's bathrooms, if anyone can help me I thank in advantage!

Hof
April 14th, 2005, 01:07 PM
The Penn's bathrooms are so old that they are new again.The ones I've had were OK.They were clean,spacious and adequate,with free-standing cast iron bathtubs with claw feet,an art-deco tiled floor,a curtain that needs to be wrapped completely around the tub and a water delivery system that changes mysteriously during each shower.
Some rooms,I understand,have been renovated and are very modern,but I never stayed in any of those rooms.Some rooms have shared bathrooms,and you can only hope that a family of five doesn't rent the adjoining room.
Once,I had a large room on the 10th floor,overlooking Madison Square Garden and 7th Ave.I sat on the throne and watched,through an opened window,as crowds gathered for a Paul McCartney concert below.It was a comfortable place to be.
As I looked around,I realized that anyone in the office building across the street from about floor 8 to maybe 15 could watch me whiz,and that some had probably been watching my room for years.
I kept the blinds open after that.

Lionel baptista
April 15th, 2005, 11:47 AM
I'm going to New York for the first time, on july 9th. I will be staying at the Hotel Pennsylvania. It looks like a great hotel, my aunt stayed there once and really liked it. But then i read some reviews on the net and I must say ... now I'm really scared! I read some of the most horrible things, like a bathroom missing a wall and windows so dirty that it's impossible to see anything outside. :shock:

Is this really true, is Hotel Pennsylvania a horrible hotel??

:?: :?: :?:

Dont' touch it with a ten foot pole - the hotel needs major renovation and has matchboxes for rooms

plums
October 18th, 2005, 07:39 AM
I am happy to say me & my family will be visiting NY in november. We have booked to stay in The Hotel Pennsylvania. However we hadnt reads the reviews & now my mother has she is worried sick by what bad things she has read !

Has anyone ever stayed there and had a nice, clean & safe experience ?? i live in hope !!!!!!

if so which rooms did u stay in ?? i have heard most of them ar very run down and unkept... if we get there and are unhappy with the room, will they be happy to move us ??

any help / tips will be much appreciated !

Many Thanks :D

BrooklynRider
October 18th, 2005, 07:59 AM
I haven't stayed there, but it is a very busy and popular hotel with foreign travelers. It's best days are behind it. However, if you are not pleased with your room, ask for another. I'm sure it has its share of run-down rooms. Most hotels do. You just need to present yourselves as people who won't stand for that. And then, don't stand for it.

chris_rgbg
October 18th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Iīve been there two times and i have to say, that the rooms were "ok". Sure, this is not an upper class hotel. But for people who are only in this hotel to sleep, itīs absolute ok. And as BrooklyRider told you allready, if you donīt like the room, ask for another one.

chris

plums
October 18th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Thanks guys :p

new2newyork
October 18th, 2005, 02:36 PM
In all honesty the Hotel Pennsylvania is a bit run down and not in a very upscale area...it's a fast food restaurant type area. The best cheap hotels in NYC are the Habitat, Park Central and On the Avenue. All of these are either new or recently renovated.

Staying here next week - can anyone give my wife an I a quick review of it?(unless it's bad and then I might not want to know) :)

stone7
March 7th, 2006, 06:00 AM
Hi, I'm booked into the Hotel Penn for 7 nights in August. I would appreciate any feedback from people who have stayed there or are familiar with the hotel for another reason? How would you rate the quality of this "budget" hotel? Is it located ideally from a tourist point of view. Anywhere to eat cheaply/local 'must see' sights.

Also thinking of taking my young son(age 9) to a big American spoting event, purely for the atmosphere element. What event would be the best? Football/Baseball/Basketball/Tennis? Is the event available August 22-29 and how would I acquire tickets?

Many thanks in advance.

Gunslinger
March 7th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Hotel Penn has received some fairly horrid reviews on www.TripAdvisor.com
- maybe worth a look.
Concensus seem to be get a room on the higher floors (11 or above)
Location is fantastic and don't be afraid to complain if your not satisfied

Sporting events - should get tix to baseball Yankees or Mets with relative ease unless on a weekend and their playing someone like Red Sox. Decide sooner rather than later and book early to avoid disappointment - couple of yrs ago me & friend saw Yanks vs Sox on w/end - Amazing atmosphere & well worth it

Hockey/Basketball & Football tix much harder to come by

I've gone to a big hotel - go to Theatre tix desk or ask concierge - they'll sought you out, for a price !!!

ablarc
March 7th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Hotel needs fixing. Not really in a neighborhood. Convenient to transportation.

lofter1
March 7th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Yankees play NO home games from August 18 - August 28 :( :
http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=nyy&m=8&y=2006

Mets are at home / Shea from August 18 - 27 (play v. Colorado / St. Louis / Philly): http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=nym&m=8&y=2006

kliq6
March 7th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Hotel Penn, is basically a piece of crap. i went to a conference there and in the mens room, no joke, was a subway sized rat. When i told the customer service guy at a tabel, he didnt seemed surprised

antinimby
March 7th, 2006, 12:57 PM
It's an older hotel. I'm sure some people are attracted to its lower price.

ablarc
March 7th, 2006, 01:05 PM
From the outside it has great presence, even if it's a bit grimy. It's a great example of an urban hotel configuration that's vanishing: a cliff with grooves incised that act as airshafts and allow all rooms in a fat-looking structure to have windows --even if they only look into other rooms' windows.

stone7
March 8th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the advice,guys. The concensus seemed to point to the Penn being a bit of a toilet, so I decided to cancel my reservation and I have re-booked at the Novotel (W52nd St). I imagine the Novotel is without character, but safe and clean. Plus I got a good deal as long as I don't plan on altering the booking in any way.

Thanks also to the link to the Mets ball game. I believe the US tennis open start around late August so I will wait to see the programme there before I commit. Failing the tennis, the Mets game is a definite.

Gunslinger
March 16th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Not exactly oozing character but good size rooms (compared to many others in NYC) Clean and should be modern

Stayed in Novotels all round the world (including W52nd) and have never been disappointed - Won't ever set your world on fire but good clean modern accomodation, reasonably priced (I should be on commision!!)