View Full Version : NYC Bomb Scare

June 8th, 2004, 12:17 PM

June 8, 2004

The Great White Way was full of blue last night as cops closed down Broadway around Times Square for nearly an hour and a half to investigate a suspicious package.
Cops were alerted to the package outside the ESPN Zone restaurant at the northeast corner of West 42nd Street and Broadway at around 9:15 p.m.

They closed down West 42nd Street between Broadway and Sixth Avenue, as well as Broadway from West 41st Street to West 43rd Street while Bomb Squad technicians investigated the package — which turned out to be harmless.

Subways running under the Crossroads of the World were not affected, and traffic on Broadway was routed onto Seventh Avenue, which remained open.

Fans at the ESPN Zone — jampacked with hockey fanatics watching last night's Stanley Cup-deciding game — were forced into the street.

"We were watching the game . . . They cut the power they told us the building was being evacuated because of an incident outside," said Kyle Robertson, 22, of Sydney, Australia.

"Nobody panicked. Everyone was orderly. By the time we got out, the cops were already here and roped the place off."

Luckily, fans were able to watch Tampa Bay win the cup on the large TV outside the ABC studios up the street.

Copyright 2004 NYP Holdings

June 8th, 2004, 12:18 PM
They closed down West 42nd Street between Broadway and Sixth Avenue, as well as Broadway from West 41st Street to West 43rd Street while Bomb Squad technicians investigated the package — which turned out to be harmless.

I am so glad. :D

June 8th, 2004, 02:29 PM
So that's what that was. I saw hundreds of cops near Bryant Park and the only thing I could come up with had to do with security for all those models for some fashion parade. Is it Fashion Week - or something? Anyway, wow! That's pretty crazy.

June 8th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Yeah I just wonder how they manage to hold those thousands of people that invade Times Square every night.

It must have been a mob trap behind those barricades. :?

July 20th, 2004, 09:16 AM

By Larry Celona and Ed Robinson
July 20, 2004

A small pipe bomb packed with gunpowder and BBs exploded in a subway station last night, injuring a transit cop and throwing several blocks near Times Square into chaos.

A police spokesman insisted that authorities do not believe that the incident was terrorism — but federal officials, including the Secret Service and the Joint Terrorism Task Force are investigating, it was learned.

The officer, whose name was withheld, was standing near a staircase leading to the A, C and E trains at 43rd Street and Eighth Avenue at around 8 p.m., when he saw a burning knapsack, police said.

He quickly pushed two commuters to safety, but as he was calling for assistance, the bag exploded, cops said.

The officer suffered burns to his leg and ringing in his ears, cops said. He was in stable condition at Bellevue Hospital.

The knapsack contained a pipe bomb containing gunpowder, BBs and a fuse, a law-enforcement source told The Post.

Firefighters and cops — some with automatic rifles, others with bomb-sniffing dogs —flooded the area.

Several subway lines were forced to bypass the 42nd Street station, and Eighth Avenue was closed between 42nd and 44th streets.

Copyright 2004 NYP Holdings, Inc.

July 20th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Several subway lines were forced to bypass the 42nd Street station, and Eighth Avenue was closed between 42nd and 44th streets.

Just imagine the commuters who had to transfer at 42nd station to other trains. What was their fate? This sick individual has done more than just hurt a cop. He/she also has disrupted our sence of direction.

July 21st, 2004, 11:39 AM
Eye cop in pipe-bombing
Tied to blast in subway


A cop who is being forced to retire over a 9/11-related mental breakdown was brought in for questioning last night in Monday's pipe-bomb explosion in the Times Square subway station, sources said.

The transit cop, who suffered minor burns when the crude device explode, arrived at the Midtown South Precinct stationhouse with a lawyer. The attorney told cops his 27-year-old client was in no condition for questioning, sources said.

But the cop, who was said to have helped save people on 9/11, denied any involvement in the subway-station miniblast - which spurred new terror fears and a huge police response, the sources said.

Still, detectives sent his burned clothes for forensics tests, sources said, and quizzed neighbors in his SoHo apartment building.

A bomb-sniffing dog was brought to the cop's car, and appeared to get three "hits," sources said. Investigators were waiting for a warrant this morning to get inside the vehicle.

"There is no smoking gun that he did this, but he does have a history of psychiatric problems," a top police official said.

"We believe he wanted to go out as a hero," another official said.

The cop, whose name is being withheld by the Daily News, learned last week he would be forced to retire because of a mental disability that seemed to develop after the terror attacks, a police source said.

The NYPD had considered firing the four-year veteran for being "unfit" but eventually agreed to sign off on the retirement after union officials intervened, the source said.

He was supposed to go to a police pension office to finalize his retirement this week, possibly as soon as yesterday. But, a source said, "He did not want to retire."

The makeshift bomb was a blue-and-black canvas knapsack filled with PVC pipes, which were packed with low-grade gunpowder and BBs, officials said.

A fuse was attached to the device, which detonated around 8p.m. Monday on a staircase on W. 43rd St. leading to the A, C and E trains.

Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly did not rule out the possibility that the cop who found the bomb was involved. "The whole situation is being examined at this time," he said.

The cop was manning a telephone switchboard at the Manhattan Task Force transit bureau in the Times Square station and left his post minutes before his shift ended Monday - saying he was going to buy coffee, a police source said.

A short time later, the cop said he found the knapsack burning on the staircase just before it exploded, sources said.

A source added that the cop did not put out a standard call for backup after the explosion, and instead called his partner back at the transit bureau. The partner was questioned yesterday, the source said.

The incident prompted police to evacuate the station and close off Eighth Ave. between 42nd and 45th Sts. for nearly two hours. "There were at least 100 people, nervous and trembling, yelling: 'Terrorism! Terrorism!'" said TV and radio host Joe Franklin, who was walking by at the time of the blast.

Mayor Bloomberg reassured New Yorkers yesterday that the explosion "does not look like it was terrorism."

"The Police Department is investigating and we'll see what they come up with," he said.

A neighbor of the cop, who has known him since he was a boy, described him as an upstanding citizen. "I wouldn't suspect him of anything like that," said the neighbor, who didn't want her name used. "It would be sad. You don't want a cop doing this."

With Veronika Belenkaya, Jonathan Lemire and Fernanda Santos

Originally published on July 21, 2004

July 21st, 2004, 01:44 PM
I think this just reveals the fact that there is no way to provide "security" in public spaces in NYC. It shows the best we can hope for is quick emergency reponse.