PDA

View Full Version : Chinese takeaway 'in those white boxes'

JC
June 8th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Hi all

I have been to a Chinese restaurant in NY before, but never had a Chinese takeaway. However, my daughter is determined, as one of her most anticipated NY experiences, to "get a Chinese in those white boxes they have in the films"! Anyone know a good takeaway in the arew around the Park Central Hotel (56th & 7th Avenue)?

Cheers

JC

Ninjahedge
June 8th, 2004, 01:17 PM
Depends on what you think of "Chinese".

There are so mny variants of Chinese food... Mandarin, Malaysian, Cantonese, Thai, Korean (the last two being similar, but obviously not Chinese).

And some places you go to will not have the little white boxes for doggie bags. They might have plastic or foil containers, so...

We could probably recommend something based on taste, but I don't know how lucky we would be on containers....

(PS, I will have to ask my GF about some good places up and around there....)

JC
June 8th, 2004, 01:25 PM

There are so mny variants of Chinese food...

And some places you go to will not have the little white boxes for doggie bags. They might have plastic or foil containers, so...

We could probably recommend something based on taste, but I don't know how lucky we would be on containers....

Well in the UK, where we're from, I think what we mean by Chinese is Cantonese.

I think if we ordered a Chinese and didn't get the 'white boxes', it would not be considered a success!

kingdavid
June 8th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Hi all

I have been to a Chinese restaurant in NY before, but never had a Chinese takeaway. However, my daughter is determined, as one of her most anticipated NY experiences, to "get a Chinese in those white boxes they have in the films"! Anyone know a good takeaway in the arew around the Park Central Hotel (56th & 7th Avenue)?

Cheers

JC

you can get the white boxes by ordering chinese delivery at most any chinese restaurant in the city.

some use rectangle foil trays with plastic tops but the rice always comes in the white polygonal (?) boxes one sees on reruns of friends.

:D

Edward
June 8th, 2004, 10:17 PM
Skip the Chinese takeout - have a dinner at either Thai or Vietnamese restaurant instead.

krulltime
June 9th, 2004, 02:12 AM
Skip the Chinese takeout - have a dinner at either Thai or Vietnamese restaurant instead.

Yeah defenetly!

leave the take out chinese food thing in your home town and head to those restaurants or go to chinatown!

I am sure they will have alot of delicious and inexpensive food.

JC
June 9th, 2004, 07:46 AM

I'm sure we will go to a Chinese restaurant as well. I wouldn't normally aim to get a take away in New York, but my daughter is very struck on the idea of eating out of those white boxes!

Ninjahedge
June 9th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Then look under her bed for those DVD's of "sex and the city" and tell her she is too young for that...

;)

If you have to, I think there are places you can buy those boxes from.

BTW, little hint. Those boxes usually are a sign of a cheap, generic Chinese Food Restaurant.... So take that as a bit of a warning... ;)

I do recommend Thai food though......

Ninjahedge
June 9th, 2004, 10:00 AM
(PS, SATC has the women getting food like that all the time, so please don't take that the wrong way..... :shock: )

Schadenfrau
June 9th, 2004, 10:54 AM
King David is correct in that most NYC Chinese restaurants only serve rice in the white boxes.

flat head
June 9th, 2004, 10:59 AM
why don't you just buy a chinese meal, and empty it into some old cake boxes?... that would do the trick... remove any cakes that may remain in the boxes though...!

flat head
June 9th, 2004, 11:07 AM

There are so mny variants of Chinese food...

Well in the UK, where we're from, I think what we mean by Chinese is Cantonese.

I think if we ordered a Chinese and didn't get the 'white boxes', it would not be considered a success!

Eh?, Eh?, and thrice EH?... Chinese means Chinese, and Cantonese is one of those places where you get lots of little things to eat instead of one big thing!!! innit?... and (as a British Bloke) I've never had a Chinese meal in one of those white boxes ever, and I MEAN ever... we always get a tin foil tray for the rice, a little polystyrene cup, which tends to squirt piping hot sweet and sour sauce into your eye when you squeeze them gently, and a plastic container for the battered chicken!!!... no white boxes...

BrooklynRider
June 9th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Go to any Chinese Restaurant and order "Rice to Go". You'll get the box.

By the way, we have lots of Chinese options: Cantonese, Hunan, Szechuan, Mandarin

My favorite: Peking Duck House on Mott Street in Chinatown. $35/duck. Upscale chinese - the best duck you'll ever have.

NYatKNIGHT
June 9th, 2004, 11:34 AM
http://www.gotham2go.com/index.php/54/1

JC
June 9th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Eh?, Eh?, and thrice EH?... Chinese means Chinese, and Cantonese is one of those places where you get lots of little things to eat instead of one big thing!!! innit?... and (as a British Bloke) I've never had a Chinese meal in one of those white boxes ever, and I MEAN ever... we always get a tin foil tray for the rice, a little polystyrene cup, which tends to squirt piping hot sweet and sour sauce into your eye when you squeeze them gently, and a plastic container for the battered chicken!!!... no white boxes...

I KNOW how we get Chinese here in the UK, thanks. Read the thread: I meant if we ordered a Chinese takeaway in New York and didn't get the 'little white boxes' then my daughter would be disappointed.

Ninjahedge
June 9th, 2004, 03:02 PM
I know what you are asking for.

Like i said, it is hard to say where you would get that and still be happy with the food.

Um, you would stand a good chance of it by going to a generic "chinese" food place you can find in the Yellow Pages.

Jus please do not get the wrong idea of what good Chinese (or any other asian variety) food can be like from that stuff... ;)

GL!

Edward
June 10th, 2004, 12:08 AM
I'm sure we will go to a Chinese restaurant as well.
Dumpling restaurant in Chinatown is the ticket.

TLOZ Link5
June 10th, 2004, 01:54 PM
If you order delivery, you'll most likely get the white boxes. These generally are used to hold noodle dishes in addition to rice.

flat head
June 15th, 2004, 11:12 AM

I KNOW how we get Chinese here in the UK, thanks. Read the thread: I meant if we ordered a Chinese takeaway in New York and didn't get the 'little white boxes' then my daughter would be disappointed.

heh heh... dry your eyes man!...
p.s. I'll send your daughter some little white boxes, then if you have no luck in New York you can sneak her rice into them, but don't tell her...

(don't be offended by any of my threads as I am aanly taking the piss)