PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter - Hogwarts architecture

Gulcrapek
June 10th, 2004, 09:38 PM
In ...The Prisoner of Azkaban, we see the most detailed shots of the school's architecture yet, and it's even showcased to an extent. I loved the beautifully rendered stone towers and the surprise movie star the clock tower made. The school seems to be a mix of Gothic and "English castle" style (it has a name, I don't know it).

It should be in better shape in places though... you'd think with inhabitants capable of magic it would be better maintained. And I wonder what happens when it needs to expand? Hire Foster?

BigMac
June 10th, 2004, 09:53 PM
I enjoyed Azkaban; I noticed that time is a recurring theme throughout the film. I too liked that there was a heavier focus on the school's architecture.

Eugenius
June 11th, 2004, 10:25 AM
I loved the film. I think it was better than the other two. Not least because of the architecture.

The clock tower was certainly a brilliant touch, particularly with the enormous pendulum swinging right over your head. Though I wasn't crazy about the blunt references to stonehenge in the spot where Draco gets his nose mashed in.

NYatKNIGHT
June 11th, 2004, 12:33 PM
I like it too. Best movie and book so far. The castle looked especially good from Buckbeak's perspective.

flat head
June 11th, 2004, 12:47 PM
why, that's Alnwick Castle, that is.... it's only a short drive from where I live. I went there not so long ago and this gentleman was showing off an amazing collection of owls... I love looking at the stone men that stand on the battlements, or walking through Alnwick pastures in the haze of summer.

Gulcrapek
June 11th, 2004, 05:01 PM
It's actually several different places melded with CGI sections. Most of the castle's exterior is computer generated.

Do you mean the clock tower is at Alnwick?

Jasonik
June 11th, 2004, 05:06 PM
Filming Locations (http://home.freeuk.com/webbuk2/harrypotter.htm#locations)

NoyokA
June 11th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Am I the only one who doesnt like this stuff?

krulltime
June 11th, 2004, 06:18 PM
I just get so confuse of all this Harry Potter langauge.

But I am afraid that I saw 1 and 2 with my nephew so I think I have to see 3 or is it 4?

TLOZ Link5
June 11th, 2004, 09:23 PM
I love the references to the Muggle world that are embedded in the Harry Potter books, like the shrinking keys that diminish to nothing right when the owner needs them.

"Now where did I put my keys? I could have sworn they were here a second ago..."

Bewitched trash cans that rattle in the night. We all just assume that it's a stray animal.

How do they prevent Hogwarts from being seen? It's bewitched with a permanent illusion of a ruined, weed-choked castle with signs at a safe distance saying "Keep out, structure unsafe."

Chills up your spine? Sudden feelings of dread? Dementors are invisible to Muggles.

Burning at the stake? If a real wizard or witch were caught, they'd just cast a charm that would make them immune to the fire and pretend to be writhing and screaming in agony amidst the inferno before Disapparating after a while. (Apprently one witch enjoyed being "burned" so much that she let it happen to her again and again under different disguises.)

BrooklynRider
June 11th, 2004, 11:52 PM
Add me to the list of dedicated fans. I thought this was the best yet, likely because this director correctly figured viewers got all the background needed in movie #1 & #2.

I really enjoyed the new design. No more flat lawns, lots of craggy hills instead. I thought the clock was a great touch. Of course there was one scene (during the Bogey scene) when Harry's scar was on the wrong side of his head. How do they not catch that stuff?

Emma Thompson was a riot.

flat head
June 15th, 2004, 11:04 AM
It's actually several different places melded with CGI sections. Most of the castle's exterior is computer generated.

Do you mean the clock tower is at Alnwick?

I don't know which parts are which? I'm not really a fan of the whole Harry Potter experience, and have only briefly half watched the first film. Yes indeed! there seemed to be a lot of that computer generated nonsense happening in the interior which, I'm afraid, does not really turn me on when watching films. I do know that for most of the exterior they used Alwick Castle, I noticed it straight away when I saw the trailers! There also seemed to be a sudden flood of tourists in Alnwick when they were first showing the pilosopher's stone film...

Gulcrapek
June 15th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Actually the CGI is mostly on the exterior..

flat head
June 16th, 2004, 06:57 AM
Actually the CGI is mostly on the exterior..

...right-ho... you obviously seem to know a lot more about it than me!....

...all I do know is that Anlwick Castle does feature in the film somewhere...
...perhaps as one of the bricks, or something...

...perhaps they made an entire castle on computer, which is purely based on Alnwick Castle, and undectectable from the real thing... that seems a pure logic solution, and not at all pointless...

flat head
June 16th, 2004, 06:59 AM
... I didn't realise you actually, actually worked on set...

TLOZ Link5
June 16th, 2004, 03:03 PM
...on a completely unrelated note, three of my cousins were extras in the first movie :)

Gulcrapek
June 16th, 2004, 06:09 PM
I'm not trying to be snobby, I'm just saying what was mostly CGI and what wasn't.

Eugenius
June 17th, 2004, 05:22 PM
Of course there was one scene (during the Bogey scene) when Harry's scar was on the wrong side of his head. How do they not catch that stuff?
I thought it was supposed to be in the center of the forehead. Where was it misplaced to? Was it pointing in a different direction? I don't think I remember seeing that...

flat head
June 18th, 2004, 04:15 AM
I'm not trying to be snobby, I'm just saying what was mostly CGI and what wasn't.

...what would be the point in recreating and entire castle in CGI...?

...besides, if you were clever enough you would have understood what I meant, without me having to expain it to you... patiently...

don't take offence mate!.. I'm only ribbin' you!!..

flat head
June 18th, 2004, 09:15 AM
Of course there was one scene (during the Bogey scene) when Harry's scar was on the wrong side of his head. How do they not catch that stuff?
I thought it was supposed to be in the center of the forehead. Where was it misplaced to? Was it pointing in a different direction? I don't think I remember seeing that...

...it's only a tatoo you know!!!.... he got it free from a packet of cereal...