PDA

View Full Version : idea for WTC towers

alex ballard
June 11th, 2004, 07:55 PM
my idea for the world trade center is two towers with the same look but here are the differences

they will be 250x250 feet square. they will rise 210 floors. the core will be reinforced with steel beams and concrete shielding the staircases. the core will be 100x125 square placed in the center of the tower. ceilings will be 9ft tall. floors will be 3 ft thick with steel beams running out from the core holding up the floors and incased with concrete. outside walls still have the same load-bearing design. each floor has 50,000 square feet of space. each floor can handle upwards of 250 people (200 sq feet per worker). that equals out to 50,000 workers per tower. 100,000 for entire complex. the express elevators run to express floors at the 60th and 130th floors where locals do the rest. observation deck at the top and 201th of the south tower. windows on the world at the 201th floor of the north tower. each tower will rise 2,500 ft. lobby rises 100 ft. top nine floor s of both towers devoted to a museum about everything american.
the rest of site a memorial park devoted to the memory of 9/11.

so guys, what do you think?

Gulcrapek
June 11th, 2004, 08:25 PM
It's ok. I would remove

3 foot floor slabs - 2 is more like it
9 ft ceiling heights - I think standard is 10
Museum about everything American - tacky and unnecessary

You're going to have to have more skylobbies and elevator banks for a 210 floor building.

flat head
June 18th, 2004, 09:36 AM
are you an architect?...

(serious question)

MrShakespeare
June 18th, 2004, 11:06 AM
I admire the thought that you have put into your idea. Good work! It is good to see that there are others who think about the re-built WTC as much as I do.

I like the height of your propsed towers, as well as the fact that they are twins. The increased height is a nice variation on the theme of the original towers. I'd suggest some change of the architecture of your towers, though. You could add a "torque", or soften the corners (too make them more rounded, etc. This would make your towers more unique (from the originals), and might also help the buildings deal with the stresses imposed by the wind at 2500 feet.

Of course, you will have all sorts of zoning problems with buildings of that height, and 210 storeys is a lot of space for which tenants must be found.
But on the other hand, why should we stop at only 70 storeys if the finances can be made to work at higher levels?

One last thought is that it might be too heavy (higher in the towers) to enclose all of the steel in concrete, but I am speculating on that point. I do know that the weight of the upper floors was a serious concern for the engineers of the original WTC towers.