PDA

View Full Version : A Greek start in New York

matrix-1
June 14th, 2004, 08:03 AM
Hello New York. We are a couple , not officially, and we re going to come to NY this summer. My girlfriend is a doctor and is going to practise there for 3-4 years. Our question is how can we find someone to help us in finding a home to stay at the beginning, and help me find a job there. We are Greeks , so is there any Greek club or organisation to help us at our start?
Please tell us. Thank u.

billyblancoNYC
June 14th, 2004, 11:53 AM
Go right to Astoria, Queens. It's Greektown.

http://www.nyu.edu/classes/blake.map2001/greece.html

"GREEK ORGANIZATIONS

Astoria houses many government offices that cater to the needs of individuals, who are primarily Greek speakers. One of these organizations is HANAC (Hellenic American Action Committee). This non- profit organization founded in 1972, aids the Hellenic community in assimilating into American society. HANAC specializes in assisting in ESL, job placement, social support service referrals, and other naturalizing services. HANAC also assists individuals in getting interpreters for court cases. HANAC plays a major role in helping Hellenic- Americans find information about their city government and services available to them.

The Federation of Hellenic Societies of Greater NY, Inc is another Greek organization in Astoria. The goals of this organization includes: assisting Greek immigrants to become American citizens, highlighting the cultural, scientific and professional contributions of the Greek- Americans to the American Society and supporting the activities that perpetuate the Greek language, culture and identity. Their current activities include creating programs or career awareness for Greeks in Astoria and also raising funds to build and athletic and community center for Greeks in the community. "

I can help find the numbers, etc. if you cannot. Good luck.