PDA

View Full Version : Shea Stadium / Queens Museum Area

Jon
June 15th, 2004, 01:34 PM
I'm a lifelong Yankee fan and go to games whenever I can. I got talked into doing something I haven't done in about 20 years... Going to a Met game at Shea.

Couple of questions...

1. I know the #7 stops at Shea Stadium. Once I'm there how close/convenient is the stop to the actual stadium? Is it as convenient as taking the #4 to Yankee Stadium or will there be a long walk? For some reason I vaguely remember taking some footbridge over Grand Central Parkway, but I was just a kid, so I don't really remember.

2. I figure while I'm there, it might be a good day to check out the NYC Panorama since I haven't done that in many years. I know the museum is right by Shea, but is it possible to walk from one to the other?

All I can remember is the Grand Central and LIE both being almost in the middle of everything, so whatever safety concerns I have about the area are not related to crime, but rather to getting around that area and taking in a number of things without ending up as someone's hood ornament :lol:

BrooklynRider
June 15th, 2004, 01:48 PM
The 7 train stops right at the stadium. It is probably one cityblock length to the stdium wall. The length of your walk will depend on the gate designation of your seats.

The NYC panorama is walkable. I'm assuming you're a NY'er and walking is a standard form of transport for you. If you are sub-urban and tend to drive everywhere, it might seem unreasonably long.

Jon
June 15th, 2004, 02:11 PM
I haven't lived in NY for a number of years, but get back about four times a year. I take walking to the extreme... On a nice day I'll walk from midtown to Chinatown just to be outside, it's just something I love to do. I guess I was more concerned with the convenience of the walk to Shea from the subway than the distance. Specifically whatever obstacles I might have to deal with, especially if I decide to go and check out the panorama or the zoo while I'm in the area.

I grew up in New Jersey most of my life. Almost everything around was "right across the street", but the street was the New Jersey Turnpike :)

I just want to be sure that if I'm going to plan a day in and around that area I can get from one thing to the other on foot in a relatively safe manner. Thanks for letting me know that it is in fact walkable. Now I'm really looking forward to a great day!

BrooklynRider
June 15th, 2004, 02:32 PM
Ah, ok, obstacles. None really to speak of. The 7 train is elevated at Shea, so expect to walk up and down the ramp or stairs. Their is a crossover, so no need to actually cross the street to go from Shea to the musem.