PDA

View Full Version : A guide, maybe?

JenzWe
July 29th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Hello all,

Me and a friend of mine are going to NYC in late September. We come from Sweden in Europe and have never been to NYC nor the US before.
We'll stay for 4 nights only (thursday-monday) and want to make the best of the time. Of course were planning to visit some of the classics such as Empire State building, Statue of liberty (wich btw is called the liberty-goddess in sweden), WTC ground zero etc.

But were both interested in seeing more of the "New Yorkers New York", not only the classical tourist places if you know what I mean. It's kind of boring to only go to the bars, cafés and restaurants thats listed in the tourist guides. We're both guys, 27 seven years old and quite ordinary people.

Are there any chance to maybe hook up with some of you guys? We're on a low budget so we can't pay much of a salary, but you have to admit that it's always fun to meet people from far away places. :)

Oh, and yeah... This person should be quite patient, cause non of us speeks english fluently. ;)

Kris
July 29th, 2004, 02:14 PM
www.bigapplegreeter.org

JenzWe
July 29th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.
Great site! We'll definitely go for that. Thanks again!

Kris
July 29th, 2004, 02:39 PM
You're welcome. Enjoy your visit.

Schadenfrau
July 29th, 2004, 02:46 PM
If it's still warm out at that time, you might enjoy two of NYC's best outdoor bars: The Gowanus Yacht Club in Brooklyn and Bohemian Hall in Queens:

http://www.newyorkmetro.com/pages/details/8525.htm

http://www.newyorkmetro.com/pages/details/4371.htm

JenzWe
July 30th, 2004, 02:18 AM
Thank you Schadenfrau!

If anyone has any more suggestions regarding nightlife, they’re most welcome.
We’re interested in the folk rock type of music, like Bob Dylan, Springsteen and such. Since we’re Europeans I don’t have to tell you we like beer. :)

Preferably bars located on Manhattan, but anything goes!

Ninjahedge
July 30th, 2004, 08:35 AM
You may go for some blues then.

Look up places like The Blue Note, the Back Fence, 55, Arthurs Tavern and I think there is a BB King's in town as well. Most can be located in or around the West Village or NoHo (North of Houston street, pronounced House - Ton)...

If you want some good areas in Chinatown, there are two good restaurants I can reccomend off the top of my head: Pho Bang (a chain) and NyoNya.

If you go to NyoNya, look up "Double Happiness" a nice little bar around the corner. VERY easy to miss. To find it, look down into the stairwells and look for one with a container of water with flowers and or candles floating on it....

GL!

JenzWe
July 30th, 2004, 04:33 PM
The blues clubs looks really interesting. I think we’ll pay a visit to The Back Fence, looks great and within our budget. Thanks!