View Full Version : Study?

August 21st, 2004, 02:46 PM
Hi Forum

Hi, I am30 years and I intend to start a study, but I donít have the matriculation standard for an university. In Germany or in Portugal, where I am living and working in the moment, it is possible to pass an exam , which shows that you have the same level like an ordinary high school student and that you dominate the common language. With this exam you have the permission to start a study at all universities in the country.. Is there any similar possibility in the US, too?
I passed the 12th class and left school. But in Germany, where I visited school, you have to make 13 Years to complete high school. Is there( in the US) a possibility for getting an access to an university with my qualification, without passing a test?

It would be great, if someone could help me to find a solution for my problem. :)

Thank you for your help,

your friend, :)


TLOZ Link5
August 21st, 2004, 07:08 PM
In the U.S. there are standardized tests, either the SAT or the ACT, that you take during the application process for college/uni. Since you did not attend secondary school here, you may also be expected to take a general equivalency exam as well. I'm not entirely certain, so don't take my answer as gospel truth.

August 22nd, 2004, 07:55 AM
Hi TLOZ Link5

Thank you very much for your friendly and informative answer. :)

I think for passing such a test ,normally, you need a preparation time. Is there anything like a ďpreparation year ď you can go through, maybe, offered by university in the US? What do SAT and ACT exactly mean? Where could I find official information about this stuff?
I know that it is very impolite to ask so many things, but I would be very grateful about a link to an university homepage or to the proper authority page. :)
I could start a study as a civil engineer in Germany in October, but I am not sure, if that stuff is my passion. So I want to check up on other alternatives.

I admire your great forum and wish you all a fantastic time, :)

your friend,


August 22nd, 2004, 10:16 AM
There are thousands of colleges, universities, junior colleges and trade schools, both public and private, in the United States, each of which has its own admissions policies and requirements (this is not, generally speaking, something thatís regulated by the state or federal governments, though the federal government does require foreign persons seeking student visas to prove that they have the financial ability to pay for any proposed course of study, and most schools require those whose native language is not English to demonstrate proficiency in the English Language).

I imagine that your closest U.S. embassy or consulate can supply you with information on this subject, and any particular school in which youíre interested can tell you about its requirements. Hereís a link to the first of several web pages where one NYC school, Columbia University, has posted information of interest to international students. http://www.columbia.edu/cu/isso/admit/

August 22nd, 2004, 01:31 PM
Thank you, ManhattanKnight. This is exactly, what I wanted to know. There is no general regulation by the state for an university access. The rest is the same way like in Germany, if you intend to study there and if you are a foreigner, you have to show that you have enough money and that your knowledge of the language is sufficient. So, I will ask for further information at the US-embassy. :)
In Germany it is a little bit easier, there exists a kind of central carreers guidance, which can give you a summary of your possibilities.

Hey, you people there in NY, you are very friendly. :D Are the most of you originally from NY, because I can recognize a lot of German names and posts?
However, thank you for the information and if anybody has a further idea, he or she is always welcome. :)

Take care,

Your friend,