PDA

View Full Version : Meeting a new culture

Siddartha
September 9th, 2004, 11:21 PM
Hello, my name is Guido, i'm from argentina. i'm 21...
I'm thinking with 2 friends visiting NY on december up to feb or march..

we are univerity students, and our idea is to know a different culture. Actually i'm located in Buenos Aires, that is a very big city (i think 7 millons of habitants) , but little if we compare with yours...

We know that there we can find the best of any subject.. for eg i study economist, but my friends music.. so we want to be there we have a lot to learn... so we want to be there!!!

The basic problem is that we know that is a very expensive city.. we can afford the plane, and a month there.. but we are thinking, that perhaps we can get a part job, or any job there for 1 or 2 months.. so we can use the money there and make all the things that we want.... and stay there for more than 1 month.. as NY is like the center of the world.. we need more than 1 month to know the city, the people, the night, and all that things that made it the Great city...

do you think that this is possible? what job we can do? how much we can gain, earned?

otherwise, we need to sleep somewhere :D ... as an hotel is such expensive for us.. i want to know if we can rent an apartment.. how much it cost? a litle one.. we need that to eat, bath, and you know 8) ..

for the language i don't have a big problem.. i work for an american company.. tech support of tracfone.. also my friends can talk and understand, but not so fluently..

waiting your answers... please help.. :P g

Gulcrapek
September 10th, 2004, 12:14 AM
I don't have any answers but NYC is only 8 million people, not too much different than Buenos Aires.

TLOZ Link5
September 10th, 2004, 12:31 AM
I don't have any answers but NYC is only 8 million people, not too much different than Buenos Aires.

Buenos Aires is about the size of Paris, at least populationwise. The seven million figure might come from its metropolitan area.

Anyway, Siddartha (loved the book by Hermann Hesse, BTW :D ) — or, if you prefer, Guido :P — you might be hard-pressed to find a job in New York if you're only going to be there for a month; not really because it's not enough time, but since you'll only be there for a short period you might waste a week looking for a job, getting an interview, etc.; and then you'd only be working for three weeks before you went back to Argentina. Or are you saying that you wish to stay for a month or two in addition to the month that you're planning to stay?

Since a hotel is, indeed, quite expensive, I'd recommend a hostel at least initially, and/or looking through classified sections in the newspapers to find someone to room with. As for a job, I would recommend that one of you bring a laptop and use an Internet café to browse jobs on places like Monster.com or Craigslist.com. With any luck, you'll find something. ˇBuena suerte!

ZippyTheChimp
September 10th, 2004, 07:57 AM
For temporary employment, you can browse around sites like

http://www.net-temps.com/.

To stretch your money, try this:

http://www.cheapotravel.com/ny/index.php3

Siddartha
September 10th, 2004, 09:36 AM
First of all Thank you very much for all your comments, i really appreciate them.. :D
now i'll visit all the websites, if i have time to visit all of them :shock:

Buenos Aires is a very big city, but it is divided betwen federal city, and buenos aires city, both of them are 7 million.. Federal city or capital, is where i live, 3 millions i think... well, but doesn't matter..

I will add some information
we are thinking to go there for a month (this is a financial problem, you know..), but if we can get a job, we would like to stay there for 2 or 3 months, so we can return here on march, when the university starts again..

For the job, i don't want a great want, i will do anyone that can allow me to live there, to go out, to visit some others cities in the weekend..
Should be a waiter, help desk, something easy, and obviusly, not more than 8 ours per day, 5 days.. (i'll search the websites now).

Another question, which city, or part of NYC you recomend me to stay.. do you know how much it cost a little department or a hostel?? as i 'll go with 2 more friends, we can share the costs..
the last one, if i work there. how much i earned per month , aprox?
TLOZ Link5, thx for all, can you recomend me the best newspaper to look for the classified section? o recomend you to read "Narciso and godmundo" or the "lobo estepario" (stepary wolf?) they are hesse's books too, i don't no the translation, but seems to be similar... :wink:

TLOZ Link5
September 10th, 2004, 07:19 PM
The New York Times is a good bet for jobs. Any job you might want to do, if there's help wanted it's in the Times.

Again, I'm not certain about the prices of apartments (it might depend upon the demands of a potential roomate), but hostels have been talked about on these forums before; just use the forum search engine.

Tricoastal
September 12th, 2004, 03:16 AM
Guido...you might try this:

www.hospitalityclub.org

Siddartha
September 12th, 2004, 09:36 PM
thx, very much again..

This days i'll start with the VISA proccedures.. i hope i can pass them :P

for a world in peace.. g

billyblancoNYC
September 13th, 2004, 01:51 AM
Never used this, but it's worth a shot...

http://www.subletinthecity.com/search/?type=vacation&PHPSESSID=48c697ec897f4b3696798616f c5fd3f7

http://www.sublet.com/apartmentrental/short_term_apartment_new_york_city.html

http://www.ny.com/hotels/apts.html

For more, go to www.google.com and search on "short term apartments in new york city."

Hope this helps.