PDA

View Full Version : Member Ranks

Edward
September 21st, 2004, 12:13 AM
I have activated the member rank feature on this board. Forum members with over 200 posts will get "Senior Member" line under the name. Moderators will be identified as "Moderators", and I will be "Site Admin".

Is there a need for any more ranks? Please comment.

yyy
September 21st, 2004, 08:24 AM
It can be nice if you can set the forum to show stars accroding to the number of posts 8) . For example, if you have 200 posts you'll have 2 stars, over 300 you get 3 and so on... I saw it in another forum like this one. I think that the rank idea is quite nice :)

Freedom Tower
September 21st, 2004, 07:11 PM
Just a test, i want to see if my rank appears.

Freedom Tower
September 21st, 2004, 07:12 PM
Yay, it appears! I'm a senior member! :o :D BTW, YYY, i think this forum used to have that star ranking or something similar, but then they got rid of all rankings, and now this system is in place. I seriously doubt ull see the star system again.

NoyokA
September 21st, 2004, 08:23 PM
Yay, it appears! I'm a senior member! Surprised Very Happy BTW, YYY, i think this forum used to have that star ranking or something similar, but then they got rid of all rankings, and now this system is in place. I seriously doubt ull see the star system again.

Naw man, not here.

I think there should be some sort of (further) acknowledgment for members belonging to the 1000 post club who are not mods. Adjectives of high-ranking, important, significant, distinguished, or even VIP member status are all appropriate.

It would create an incentive for contributing to the forum.

Gulcrapek
September 21st, 2004, 09:24 PM
It might also create a spam problem. I once belonged to a board with a significant ranking system, and the desire to be more "senior" and have more "authority" led to thousands of almost worthless posts written by hundreds of members simply for the purpose of adding to their count.

I'm not saying it's going to happen here though, who knows?

NewYorkYankee
September 21st, 2004, 09:31 PM
It might also create a spam problem. I once belonged to a board with a significant ranking system, and the desire to be more "senior" and have more "authority" led to thousands of almost worthless posts written by hundreds of members simply for the purpose of adding to their count.

I'm not saying it's going to happen here though, who knows?

Thats what I was thinking about, but I didnt want to say anything. :lol:

Pilaro
September 22nd, 2004, 12:25 AM
Damn, I will never be a senior member.

yyy
September 22nd, 2004, 10:51 AM
I am also belong to another forum like this one - see here:http://www.desktopsidebar.com\forums. They have a ranking system and sometimes they give special ranking for members who help or with a high number of posts. For example, my rank there is Star :D They also have stars according to the number of posts. The more posts - the more stars. It is sad to know that they will probably won't use it again in here :( In the forum above, we never had any spamming problem, AFAIK, and all members were OK :)

NoyokA
September 22nd, 2004, 11:07 AM
If there are ever any spamming problems that member has been and will in the future be banned.

BrooklynRider
September 22nd, 2004, 11:13 AM
I think sites with "competitions" between members to raise rankings are generally overrun with kids and teens. I never really thought about a posting "level". It would seem that if a posting level of "Senior Member" is assigned at a certain level, then a posting level of "Junior Member" and, possibly, "New Member" would be called for.

I do give the number of posts one has contributed consideration when responding. I have alse seen moderators and other forum members refer to the number of postings by a member to add weight to their opinions or to nudge new posters into line with TOS.

I did notice the levels and was, frankly, surprised that I would be a "Senior Level" poster. I don't post very often, but I post when I feel strongly about a subject or have some information I think the forum might benefit from. It's your site and, as long as the posts remain of the high quality I have experienced, I can't argue with anything you have done in creating it or where you want to take it. It's the one site I visit daily and feel particularly protective over when new folks post with a tone uncharacteristic to the membership. Cheers to you.

yyy
September 22nd, 2004, 11:16 AM
When most of the members agree to keep the forum as a nice place there shouldn't be anything bad with the ranking. It is a good way to encourage members to contribute.

NoyokA
September 22nd, 2004, 01:23 PM
Exactly. The rules havent changed, if you spam, for whatever the reason, you will be banned swiftly.

krulltime
September 22nd, 2004, 03:41 PM
Oh this is cool Edward! I want to check it out! 8)

Jasonik
February 2nd, 2005, 11:53 AM
What is 'Rep Power'?

Edward
February 2nd, 2005, 07:57 PM
It's a new feature of the forum software that allows members to add or subtract points to a reputation of forum members - a form of popularity vote. At this point I have disabled the system, since there are other things to take care of.

NewYorkYankee
February 2nd, 2005, 08:00 PM
It should be permanently disabled if you ask me. It is good for nothing, except for arguments maybe.

Edward
February 2nd, 2005, 10:40 PM
I have updated FAQ on membership categories:
http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/faq.php?faq=community#faq_members

What are different membership categories?
When you first join the forum you receive a title of Junior Member. After you make 20 posts, your title changes to Member, and after 200 posts to Senior Member.

The username of Senior Members is displayed in bold and they are listed on View Forum Leaders (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showgroups.php?) page.

Edward
July 3rd, 2005, 10:48 PM
I do not agree there could be too many Senior Members.

kz1000ps
July 3rd, 2005, 11:02 PM
"Senior Member" is reflective only of the quantity of posts they've written, regardless of the quality. If Senior Member had meaning as someone who is fairly wise and writes thoughtful posts, then limiting the number of those with that title would be necessary, but then that gets into popularity issues which Edward rightfully took care of before. So really the title doesn't serve much purpose (unless you're incapable of reading people's post counts for whatever reason), but it's just fine as is.

NoyokA
July 4th, 2005, 07:00 PM
It should be permanently disabled if you ask me. It is good for nothing, except for arguments maybe.

Iím not a fan of hierarchy at all, but in its application here I donít see any problem with it, weíre all friends here.

NewYorkYankee
July 6th, 2005, 07:43 PM
All friends here? Stern I hate you! LOL Just Kidding, I agree, I think this board could do with it just fine.

BrooklynRider
July 11th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Wow! For some reason I expected to see a "Senior Members" listing with hundreds of members.

abrahamtim
August 16th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Yay, it appears! I'm a senior member! :o :D BTW, YYY, i think this forum used to have that star ranking or something similar, but then they got rid of all rankings, and now this system is in place. I seriously doubt ull see the star system again.

why did they remove it ?:confused:

Ninjahedge
August 16th, 2007, 01:44 PM
It breeds conflicts.

stache
September 24th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Does 'Forum Veteran' designate battle wound status?

ablarc
September 24th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Does 'Forum Veteran' designate battle wound status?
No, that's amputee, silly!

Alonzo-ny
September 24th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Battle hardened from many intense discussions

Fabrizio
September 25th, 2007, 05:55 AM
Well, Rap, look at it this way, it's much better than being "Forum Veterinarian".

Front_Porch
September 25th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Formidable Veteran?