PDA

View Full Version : Gowanus Hotel?

BrooklynRider
September 24th, 2004, 12:41 PM
I have a friend claiming that a 60 unit hotel is going up on Union Street, between 4th Ave and 3rd Ave, in Park Slope / Gowanus. Anyone aware of this?

NoyokA
September 24th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Small hotel even for that area...

Gulcrapek
September 24th, 2004, 02:31 PM
600 Union Street is "not in property file" according to the DOB but the page is still there, meaning the site will probably have a new address.

link (http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/PropertyProfileOverviewServlet?boro=3&houseno=600& street=union+st&requestid=0&s=2764E472656094405BCE 4CFD7393E84A)

billyblancoNYC
September 24th, 2004, 02:51 PM
I have a friend claiming that a 60 unit hotel is going up on Union Street, between 4th Ave and 3rd Ave, in Park Slope / Gowanus. Anyone aware of this?

I've heard something similar. Not sure, but the guy is a small time hotelier, with hotels in Queens, maybe. I wish I remember where I read it, but I did here the same location, though.

Gulcrapek
September 27th, 2004, 02:11 PM
This is labeled "Union Ave" on Karl Fischer's site:

http://www.kfarchitect.com/portfolio/residential/multifamily/multi-43.jpg

TLOZ Link5
September 28th, 2004, 02:07 AM
Bah. It's too easy to see what it would look like when it's finished, and I don't like the results.

Gulcrapek
October 9th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Righto. Fischer is not the architect. I went to the site today and the address is 625 Union Street. Five floors of hotel designed by Peter F. Poon.

Gulcrapek
December 13th, 2004, 08:34 PM
Now 8 floors and 116 rooms.

Derek2k3
April 1st, 2005, 11:37 PM
I think we need a bigger thumb for this one...

According to the blog Lex's Folly it's going to be a Holiday Inn Express. More
photos here:
http://www.alexisrobie.com/archives/000177.html

http://www.alexisrobie.com/archives/2005-03-29.gowanushotel.jpg

muscle1313
April 3rd, 2005, 08:22 AM
Union St. Holiday Inn irks some neighbors

By Jotham Sederstrom
The Brooklyn Papers

Homeowners in the Gowanus end of Park Slope are decrying new plans that will allow the borough’s first Holiday Inn hotel to rise on Union Street without issuing a single public notice.

At issue is the building’s size, which at eight stories is at least three to four stories taller than most of the surrounding residential and commercial buildings.

Planned two years ago as a pair of identical five-story hotel buildings, the project was consolidated last month into one eight-story structure between Third and Fourth avenues, both to allow for additional parking and to conform with design plans preferred by the InterContinental Hotels Group, which manages the chain and other hotel franchises.

But while the original project had never been welcomed with open arms, the new plan, say some residents, is even worse, thanks to the likelihood that the hotel will cast a shadow over the industrial-residential neighborhood.

“Everything’s like a Trojan horse these days,” griped Linda Mariano, who has lived on President Street near Hoyt Street since 1974. “You get so you’re afraid to go to sleep because you might wake up to who knows what.”

Mariano and others say they learned of the revised plans only after word had spread that construction was continuing past what was believed to be the hotel’s fifth-story plateau. As of press time, the building at 625 Union St. had escalated to seven stories despite an old permit on view at the site authorizing only five stories.

“People move to [the area] for a reason,” said Jay Tran, a musician who has lived in Gowanus for 20 years. “The whole look and the feel and being able to look up into the sky without seeing skyscrapers.

“But then people are given a chance to add to this aesthetic and sometimes they take advantage.”

Jennifer Givner, a spokeswoman for the Department of Buildings, said that the eight-story development is as of right under area zoning regulations and that neither the Queens-based hotel developer, Sam Chang, nor Holiday Inn were required to notify their new neighbors of their plans. Had a variance been required, the story might have been different, she said.

A Post Approval Amendment was successfully filed with the Buildings Department on Feb. 17, allowing Chang to revise his plans for the hotel, which he expects will welcome travelers as early as December.

A spokeswoman for Holiday Inn, however, put the date sometime in late 2006.

Craig Hammerman, district manager of Community Board 6, said that his office had received several inquiries about the project, but determined after an investigation that the board would not be involved because the plans did not require its approval. Nonetheless, said Hammerman, the issue reflects a problem affecting all of Brooklyn.

“What this underscores is the fact that projects like this can happen without any kind of public review or chance for the public to react,” he said. “The question, really, is whether laws need to be changed as far as what the community board [is responsible for].”

Chang, who owns three hotels near Kennedy Airport and several others in Manhattan, contends that the new design actually reduces the size of the hotel by 19,000 square feet. While the original plan had called for 125 rooms in two five-story buildings — at 628 Sackett St. and 625 Union St. — the new plan only calls for 110 rooms.

Mike Lee, the general contractor for the project, said that the plans were altered to conform to the typical Holiday Inn Express, which, unlike Holiday Inn, is not a full-service hotel. Initially, he said, building plans were drawn up with the intention of attracting a Comfort Inn hotel to the neighborhood.

Chang added that he would include residents in future developments or changes, as he said he routinely has done while building hotels in Times Square and TriBeCa, which he said he recently completed.

“There’s no hotel between Downtown Brooklyn and Bay Ridge,” said Chang, principal owner of McSam Hospitality LLC. “So, yes, we’re betting that this will be successful. But we also want to be good neighbors.”

Kolbster
April 3rd, 2005, 04:07 PM
Union St. Holiday Inn irks some neighbors

By Jotham Sederstrom
The Brooklyn Papers

At issue is the building’s size, which at eight stories is at least three to four stories taller than most of the surrounding residential and commercial buildings.

“There’s no hotel between Downtown Brooklyn and Bay Ridge,” said Chang,
principal owner of McSam Hospitality LLC. “So, yes, we’re betting that this will be successful. But we also want to be good neighbors.”

Acute businessman Chang is.

(first quite) I hate nimby's like this....you can't just live in the past, we are a developing city, quit trying to hold it back.

Gulcrapek
April 3rd, 2005, 06:28 PM
NIMBYism has a point when it's an ugly, ungainly box.

muscle1313
April 3rd, 2005, 11:15 PM
Definitely need more hotels in Brooklyn. 2.5 million people and about 4 or 5 hotels? Ludicrous. Comfort Inn is open on Emmons Ave and the Best Western is still yet to be built a few blocks away on Emmons as well.

Kolbster
April 3rd, 2005, 11:17 PM
NIMBYism has a point when it's an ugly, ungainly box.

True, i didn't take that into consideration. This one is pretty ugly, but it blends in with the traditional brick buildings and settings of the neighborhood. But it's still a box

Kolbster
April 3rd, 2005, 11:20 PM
Definitely need more hotels in Brooklyn. 2.5 million people and about 4 or 5 hotels? Ludicrous. Comfort Inn is open on Emmons Ave and the Best Western is still yet to be built a few blocks away on Emmons as well.

True, but i think that Brooklyn's population is more than 2.5 million...it's the most populated borough. But population doesn't have that much to do with the borough...more like the amount of tourist attractions. If Brooklyn were it's own city seperate from Manhattan and the other boroughs, then population would play a HUGE factor, but when most of the population works and "plays" in manhattan...thats where the "true city is at".

Kolbster
April 3rd, 2005, 11:21 PM
But it is true, with the millions of brooklyn and it's extensiveness and only about 6 hotels.

muscle1313
April 3rd, 2005, 11:23 PM
True, i didn't take that into consideration. This one is pretty ugly, but it blends in with the traditional brick buildings and settings of the neighborhood. But it's still a box

Take em anyway we can get em. Give us more hotels. Especially Coney Island - Give me a box building, slap the Marriott or Hilton name on it and I will take it any day of the week!

muscle1313
April 3rd, 2005, 11:26 PM
If Brooklyn were it's own city seperate from Manhattan and the other boroughs, then population would play a HUGE factor, but when most of the population works and "plays" in manhattan...thats where the "true city is at".

Ratner will change that in short order :)

BrooklynRider
April 4th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Take em anyway we can get em. Give us more hotels. Especially Coney Island - Give me a box building, slap the Marriott or Hilton name on it and I will take it any day of the week!

I'm surprised that someone so dedicated to Brooklyn, its history and its future, as you, would support the building of crap buildings, like this Holiday Inn in our borough. Attitudes like this embolden developers to build crap. We need to keep with this perspective as far away from community input meetings as possible.

muscle1313
April 5th, 2005, 04:40 AM
We need to keep with this perspective as far away from community input meetings as possible.

Sure, so we get no hotels built here for the next 40 years just like the last 40 years. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I don't mind box buildings and I don't mind Holiday Inns. I also love big box chain stores like Target, Walmart, Costco, Home Depot etc. I also love chain restaurants like Applebees, Olive Garden, Red Lobster. I think they are absolutely fantastic for neighborhood development. There is a perception on this forum that we all have the same tastes. Boxes and chains are bad. Not to me. I think they are great. I can also honestly say I have several longtime NYC friends who think the same. Not everybody thinks the same as you guys.

ryan
April 5th, 2005, 10:47 AM
I also love big box chain stores like Target, Walmart, Costco, Home Depot etc. I also love chain restaurants like Applebees, Olive Garden, Red Lobster. I think they are absolutely fantastic for neighborhood development.

Can you explain why you love chain businesses and how they have a positive impact on neighborhood development? I really want to understand your point of view better.

muscle1313
April 5th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Can you explain why you love chain businesses and how they have a positive impact on neighborhood development? I really want to understand your point of view better.

No problem at all. Here is a good example - my favorite avenue - Emmons in Sheepshead Bay. When I was a kid 25 years ago, Emmons was like a ghost town. A few years ago Loehmanns came (big box chain) Applebee's(chain restaurant), TGI Friday's a few blocks away and suddenly Emmons was hopping. Now development all over. Small restaurants moving in (the kind you guys like) luxury condos everywhere, retail etc. The big chains brought foot traffic and the whole avenue is building up around it. I absolutely love it! One thing people don't seem to get is that big chains are usually very stable. 85% of new independent restaurants go out of business in 1-2 years. Big chains tend to stay round and gives the neighborhood a chance to build up around it.

Another thing I think is great about big chains moving into the city is it finally gives us Brooklyn people a chance to shop there. Why should the suburbs have them and we can't? All the people are here, not the suburbs! We will give these stores more traffic than anywhere. The people are here not in the boondocks.