PDA

View Full Version : It might be a silly question but...

alfslad
September 26th, 2004, 08:33 PM
My father was an interesting man.
He had travelled the world extensively before meeting my mother who soon put a stop to all that.

He died some time ago and left a series of diaries telling of his travels.
I have been attempting to catalogue them all (There is a lot to catalogue) and make some kind of sense of them.

In one of them he refers to visiting New York and writes (quote) The gates, although closed, posed no real barrier to a young man with a desire to explore the famous life and infamous bars of the legend that is New York City(unquote)

I can make no sense of this entry.

Can any of you put me out of my misery and throw some light on the mention of 'Gates' (no! I don't mean Bill).

Did the New York gates actually exist or was he talking through his metaphysical backside?

Thank you.

Gulcrapek
September 26th, 2004, 09:43 PM
I'd guess the gates are metaphors. Or on a wild guess might belong to a cemetary, where the "famous life" and "infamous bars" might lie underground. Verrrry wild though. It probably just meant there were obstacles in exploring the city that were conquered.

ZippyTheChimp
September 26th, 2004, 11:32 PM
Do you know the year your father visited New York?

alfslad
September 27th, 2004, 09:11 AM
Thank you, people, for your responses.
I think that I may have figured out a little of what my father was talking about when he wrote of the gates being closed.

He was a compulsive traveller, but since he was never a wealthy man, I believe that most of his travelling must have been done ‘through the back doors’, so to speak.
I know that he held a merchant seaman’s papers and from this I guess that he must have ‘jumped ship’ on various occasions.

Perhaps he left his vessel without permission and entered through the docks area, the gates being, perhaps, dock gates.
The date of his diary entry is June 1954.
I would imagine that doing such a thing would be incredibly foolhardy even in those days.

He also mentions ‘Walking into and falling out of a bar called Antarctic’.

Again, thank you so much for your responses.

Terence