PDA

View Full Version : Jersey to make bid for the Mets

STT757
September 30th, 2004, 05:07 PM
Jersey to make bid for the Mets
Thursday, September 30, 2004

New Jersey is about to make a pitch to lure the Mets to the Meadowlands Sports Complex.

The plan -- hatched by Richard Codey, the State Senate President who will become acting governor when James E. McGreevey resigns Nov. 15 -- comes after several months of discussions between top officials with Major League Baseball and George Zoffinger, chief executive of the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority.

Zoffinger has been talking with baseball officials about the possibility of bringing a struggling small-market team to a new baseball stadium in East Rutherford, but he agrees with Codey's play for the Mets. Zoffinger said Codey will contact Mets owner Fred Wilpon in the coming days.

"I applaud Dick Codey's aggressiveness because we know the North Jersey market is great for baseball," Zoffinger said. "Baseball should be in northern New Jersey, especially considering the family entertainment development and mass transit we are building at the Meadowlands."

Zoffinger's plan includes using money from the planned sale of Monmouth Park and the Meadowlands Racetrack to finance construction of a $350 million, 40,000-seat stadium. Zoffinger cautioned that team owners would have to reimburse the state for any public investment in the project through annual lease payments.

Wilpon and Codey both declined comment yesterday.

However, a person close to Codey said the Essex County legislator understands the overture might be a longshot, but he sees little downside in the effort.

The Mets have had little success in their attempts to get funding from New York City for an $800 million, retractable-roof stadium in Queens across the parking lot from Shea Stadium.

Codey relishes the chance to spark their interest in the Garden State. While Wilpon could use New Jersey as leverage in his negotiations with New York, that pressure could prove beneficial to Codey.

He wants New Jersey to keep the Nets and Jets, who are trying to reach deals with New York officials for an arena in Brooklyn and a stadium on the West side of Manhattan, respectively.

If New York has to spend money on the Mets and Yankees --who want to build a new Yankee Stadium and have requested some $250 million for transportation improvements -- it will have less money to spend on venues for the Nets and Jets, increasing the likelihood of those teams remaining in New Jersey.

A spokesman for Major League Baseball also declined comment, but officials with knowledge of Zoffinger's discussions confirmed he has met with the league's top officials, including chief executive Bob DuPuy, about moving a small-market team to northern New Jersey.

Zoffinger has been working with former Atlanta Braves president Stan Kasten, who has strong ties to New Jersey and wants to acquire a team.

Such a move would require the approval of three-quarters of baseball's owners and would face strong opposition from the Yankees, Mets and Philadelphia Phillies, who could demand hundreds of millions of dollars in compensation.

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1096518606320070.xml

NoyokA
September 30th, 2004, 05:46 PM
The day the Mets become a NJ team is the day I become a St.Louis Cardinals fan.

TLOZ Link5
September 30th, 2004, 11:38 PM
The day the Mets become a NJ team is the day I become a St.Louis Cardinals fan.

Or the day the Chicago Cubs win the World Series.

Gulcrapek
October 1st, 2004, 02:08 PM
Or the Red Sox.

TLOZ Link5
October 1st, 2004, 02:35 PM
Either way, there is no chance that this will happen.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/local/story/237451p-203831c.html

Mike: Mets
staying put

The New Jersey Metropolitans? Ya gotta believe - that it's not going to happen.

That's what Mayor Bloomberg and Gov. Pataki said yesterday in response to a report that New Jersey's incoming acting governor, Dick Codey, will try to lure the Amazin's to the Garden State. "The Mets aren't going anyplace," Bloomberg declared.

The Star-Ledger of Newark reported yesterday that Codey, who takes over when Gov. Jim McGreevey steps down next month, plans to contact Mets owner Fred Wilpon soon.

Wilpon had no comment yesterday, but team brass suggested privately that any talk of the Mets leaving New York was totally out of left field.

Michael Saul

©Copyright The New York Daily News, 2004

JCMAN320
October 1st, 2004, 11:21 PM
Oh I see how it is you can come here and take the Nets, but we can't take the Mets. Little bit of a double standard don't you think New York. Fair is Fair. If you take one of our teams, why can't we take one of yours. I'd like to see how you guys ansewer this.

TLOZ Link5
October 2nd, 2004, 03:03 PM
Let's not turn this into a p*ssing contest, JCMan. No one here said "Jersey can't take the Mets;" the closest anyone came was when I said "Jersey won't take the Mets" — and I supplied proof of that.

I guess that both side of the Hudson now know how it feels to potentially lose a team. Considering, however, that New Jersey has made bids for the Yankees in the past, this really is not new. In either case, it would have been easier to bid for the Expos (now moving to DC) or form a new franchise.

JCexpert558
August 4th, 2007, 12:58 PM
If the Mets come to Jersey wil they come to the Prudential center or the Meadowlands?

NewYorkDoc
August 6th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Theyre not coming.

OmegaNYC
August 6th, 2007, 03:24 PM
::Sighs:: I'm shocked someone even bought this up.

This is where the Mets will be playing from 2009 and decades to come:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/11/Citi_Field_Promo.jpg

It's all ready being built:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/5f/Citi_Field_facade_7-14-07.jpg/200px-Citi_Field_facade_7-14-07.jpg

Mets are staying in Queens for years to come.

66nexus
August 6th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Yeah I think that was several year old speculation at most. 'Sides, they would probably still be the NY Mets anyway lol