PDA

View Full Version : Nocturnal New York

ZippyTheChimp
October 1st, 2004, 08:14 AM
Nightscapes (http://www.pbase.com/zippythechimp/nocturnal) of the city that never sleeps.

More to come.

NYatKNIGHT
October 1st, 2004, 10:46 AM
I love these. Nothing like NY at NIGHT!
Lower Manhattan really sparkles - the one from Brooklyn Bridge Park is superb.
Brooklyn Museum could be a monument in D.C.
Great job!

Gulcrapek
October 1st, 2004, 02:15 PM
I cannot begin to formulate the words of compliment. I have no idea what to use, or if such words even exist. You are incredible. I've already set one of Lower Manhattan as my desktop background.

yyy
October 1st, 2004, 02:23 PM
AMAZING :D :shock: :) 8) Some of the best photos I've ever seen. Those are beatuiful phots. NY skyline at night is the best. I only wish you could picture it in a 1024 x 768 resolution. The pictures look much better when the resolution is higher. Can't wait for the rest of the photos. Great job :D

Eugenius
October 1st, 2004, 02:26 PM
Fabulous pictures.
What kind of exposure were you using for the panoramic shots? I am assuming you used a tripod.

Evgeniy
October 2nd, 2004, 12:33 AM
Awesome photos! Can`t wait for more like these!

sunfly
October 2nd, 2004, 07:33 AM
:D Very nice shots ! Can´t wait to come back to the city of cities.
Jürgen

yyy
October 2nd, 2004, 12:04 PM
:D Very nice shots ! Can´t wait to come back to the city of cities.
Jürgen

City of cities 8) Cool name.

ZippyTheChimp
October 2nd, 2004, 12:55 PM
Thanks for all the encouraging comments.

What kind of exposure were you using for the panoramic shots? I am assuming you used a tripod.
A tripod was used for all shots except Times Square - plentyof light.

The panorama program strips away the exif data, so I don't have exact exposure numbers. I can estimate from the ones I didn't use.

Lower Manhattan: Depth of field was not important, so the lens was opened to f4.5. Shutter 1 sec. The brightest segment sets the exposure. I take several series, each time dialing in exposure compensation (-.3EV). You can also do this by increasing the shutter speed. Usually, the photo that is underexposed by .3 or .6EV is the best to work with. Overexposed photos are harder to adjust.

Brooklyn Museum: I wanted more depth of field, so lens set at f9. Shutter at 1/2sec. Same procedure as above.

yyy
October 2nd, 2004, 12:58 PM
Actually some of the photos are too dark so some details aren't visible, but that can be fixed easily with a photo manipulation program :D

ZippyTheChimp
October 2nd, 2004, 01:20 PM
They were all processed with Photoshop. At night, it's not always desirable to bring out all the details, or you wind up with a poor imitation of a day photo.

yyy
October 2nd, 2004, 01:53 PM
Really? Wow, you really do a great job. I thought they are all "natural" :D Actually you right, sometimes when trying to brighten an image it looks poor. I just thought you can make it better. But the photos still looks great. I liked the 42nd street one 8)

Pilaro
October 2nd, 2004, 04:31 PM
Those are really nice pictures. Here is a cool panorama that i stole from a someone named KingKrunch at SSP, it was taken by joseph o. holmes. It is not really night but i hate starting new threads so a picture thread is a picture thread, right?

http://www.joesnyc.streetnine.com/archives/brooklyn_and_manhattan_from_one_hanson_place_29th_ floor-july_22_2004_29.html

Its really cool!

yyy
October 2nd, 2004, 07:48 PM
:shock: Wow, that's the biggest panorama I've ever saw. And it is a nice one too :D Thanks for the link. Cool, they have a picture for each day.

fioco
October 4th, 2004, 07:48 PM
For me, New York takes on a kind of "OZ" quality at night. Sharp edges are softened and the shadows give clear admission of the city's mystery, of the impossibility to ever truly know it. I probably walk in places I shouldn't, yet I've never come to harm. During the day, solitude is elusive and mostly I must mutter to myself in the midst of many. But at night, even when one is not alone, it is possible to enjoy a soliloquy -- or a duet, as ZippyTheChamp [sic. Chimp, but I let the typo stand] has poetically captured in "Talkin' politcs at Union Square." It was the photographs that first drew me to this site, and it is the photography that continues to nourish my soul. Thanks to all of you who contribute so generously.

YesIsaidYesIwillYes
October 4th, 2004, 09:52 PM
Ooooh yeah, I'm digging those photos.

ZippyTheChimp
January 10th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Reservoir Panorama (http://www.pbase.com/zippythechimp/image/38524860)

TWC crown still unlit.

yyy
January 11th, 2005, 03:28 AM
Nice picture :D (Waiting for more .... )

fioco
January 11th, 2005, 03:42 PM
The Reservoir Panorama is beyond words! . . . but let me try: ZippytheChimp, you must have consummate patience. I've seen many shots from that vantage point but few have captured a moment so perfectly. The clarity, brilliance and breadth of the skyline is gently backlit by the arriving dusk, while the sharp outlines of the buildings dissolve into a feathery border of trees. Your direct and 'un-fussy' style captures a sublime monumentality that radiates like a halo around the every-day routine of the city.

ZippyTheChimp
January 11th, 2005, 04:32 PM
It was cold, and I didn't have gloves - so direct and unfussy :)

The new fence makes it easy to set up a tripod without getting in the way of those fitness fanatics.