PDA

View Full Version : Woodmere Questions

microserf
October 18th, 2004, 01:17 AM
Anyone here familiar w. the phrase "Five Towns"? I used to live in a place called "Woodmere" in Nassau County. There was a park there, that had this fantastic wooden maze & fort (which in retrospect, reminds me now of that maze from Kubricks version of "The Shining") along w. a TALL rocket ship that you could climb up in, that had a twisting slide that you could ride all the way back down the length of the rocket ship. There was also an olympic sized indoor swimming pool, along with diving pools, lap pools, and childrens areas... Does this ring a bell with anyone?

BrooklynRider
October 18th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Grant Park?

microserf
October 18th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Grant Park?

Hmm, not sure, but I'll look that up. Thanks for the tip!

microserf
October 18th, 2004, 03:49 PM
The park had a rocketship slide, that looked alot like this:

http://members.cox.net/wichitahpa/Rocket_ship03.JPG

Gosh, it sure seemed alot taller when I was 8! :-)

FitzJV
October 27th, 2004, 10:28 PM
The only indoor pool complex I know of in that area is Echo Park in West Hempstead. Its located between Nassau and Roosevelt boulevards.

The other possibilty is North Woodmere Park, it has olympic sized swimming pools but I don't think they are indoor. North Woodmere park is located between Branch Blvd. and Hungry Harbor Road.

North Woodmere Park Info:
http://www.longislandtourism.com/viewlocation.asp?lcid=860

Hope This Helps

BrooklynRider
October 28th, 2004, 11:53 AM
...I used to live in a place called "Woodmere" in Nassau County. ...

How long ago are you talking?

February 10th, 2005, 10:47 PM
North Woodmere Park is the one you're thinking of. I grew up near by. The only thing in your description that doesn't fit is the indoor pools. All three pools there are outdoors. A childrens pool, diving pool and an olympic pool. They have been renovated but are mostly still the same as they always were. I believe a fourth pool may have been added that has a water slide.

The rocket ship was removed at least 15 years ago, probably for safety issues. There also used to be a really cool, large set of half-spherical monkey bars. The red wooden maze and most of the rest of the playground area was razed and a new "safe" playground was built in its place. The maze was definately a unique feature of the old park. Many a game of manhunt was played there. Good times.

I miss the old style playgrounds. You almost can't even skin your knee anymore in these new ones. ;)

microserf
April 4th, 2005, 03:08 AM
North Woodmere Park is the one you're thinking of. I grew up near by. The only thing in your description that doesn't fit is the indoor pools. All three pools there are outdoors. A childrens pool, diving pool and an olympic pool. They have been renovated but are mostly still the same as they always were. I believe a fourth pool may have been added that has a water slide.

The rocket ship was removed at least 15 years ago, probably for safety issues. There also used to be a really cool, large set of half-spherical monkey bars. The red wooden maze and most of the rest of the playground area was razed and a new "safe" playground was built in its place. The maze was definately a unique feature of the old park. Many a game of manhunt was played there. Good times.

I miss the old style playgrounds. You almost can't even skin your knee anymore in these new ones. ;)

The maze/fort thingie is GONE!?! :-( Wauuuugggghhhh! I absolutely loved that thing as a kid.

The rocket ship is GONE!?!

Phooey patooey! :-)

THANK YOU for the update though.. I truly appreciate it.. It's almost like being able to go back in time to reminisce.

Actually, the pools.. they were not in close proximity to that park/playground.. Most definitely further away, but I DO know that it was definitely an indoor facility, because we were able to swim in heated pool comfort even during the winter time.. I distinctly remember the steamed up windows and the water condensation. This place had the olympic pool, kids pool, diving pool, etc... It was like a huge hangar type environment.. and the incessant smell of chlorine.. OY.

We lived on a tree covered street that made this natural tunnel.. There is a street here in Pensacola that has the exact same effect.

Thanks again for the update!

microserf
April 4th, 2005, 03:11 AM
The only indoor pool complex I know of in that area is Echo Park in West Hempstead. Its located between Nassau and Roosevelt boulevards.

The other possibilty is North Woodmere Park, it has olympic sized swimming pools but I don't think they are indoor. North Woodmere park is located between Branch Blvd. and Hungry Harbor Road.

North Woodmere Park Info:
http://www.longislandtourism.com/viewlocation.asp?lcid=860

Hope This Helps

Thanks!