PDA

View Full Version : Holidays/X-mas in New York

Edward
October 23rd, 2004, 12:46 AM
With the holidays approaching, I thought it would be a good idea to create a sticky thread with recommendations for visitors.

What do you like to do during this season? What memories do you have? What are must things to do?

Also, related threads:

It's Lights For Rockefeller Tree (http://forums.wirednewyork.com/viewtopic.php?t=94)
Skating in New York City (http://forums.wirednewyork.com/viewtopic.php?t=2304)

microserf
October 26th, 2004, 04:42 AM
Here are my favorite vivid memories as a child, living in NYC. Born in the Bronx, we lived in Queens, Flushing, and finally Woodmere, NY, before moving down to the steamy south of northwest Florida. I've never been the same since. :) I have no idea if some of these places or customs exist anymore, but here goes nuthin:

1. Radio City Music Hall, catch a Rockettes show.
2. Goto Gimbals or Macy's, get a pic w. Santa.
3. Skate in a rink, w. the city around you.
4. Get big hot burning bagels w. mustard or hot cheese. Grab a bag of roasted chestnuts from a street vendor.
5. FAO Schwartz, 'nuff said! (was there since my last gig @ the Javitz, in '00)
6. Check out the Statue of Liberty, walk down to Battery Park, take a ferry. (Got to climb up and touch the inside of her head/look out her crown last time I was there, I hear, no more) but at least the platform is open.
7. Empire State Bldg observation tower.
8. Museum of Natural History.
9. Rub the Bull near Wall Street.
10. Tree @ Rockefeller Center.
11. Check out Carnegie Hall... just to see it.
12. Times Square, check out the BK or Micky D's (not sure which) that has the internet access stations.
13. Goto China Town, purchase some red envelopes for the nieces/nephews monetary gifts. Purchase a little buddah to rub for good luck.
14. Check out Grand Central Station.
15. Check out Central Park.
16. Horse 'n carriage ride anyone?
17. Vodka Bar, soak up the atmosphere, see the beautiful people.

More?

jiw40
November 1st, 2004, 09:26 PM
1.DP a street corner Santa
2.Pound a politician with snowballs
3.Decapitate ALL Nutcracker soldier lawn ornaments
4.Switch hated neighbors tinsel with highly flammable magnesium strips
5.Hotwire a street light on a snowy night and cause hard braking cars to slide through the intersection.
6.Spread New York holiday cheer everywhere we go!

NewYorkYankee
November 16th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Im getting really excited about the holidays! :D

NY-SY
November 23rd, 2004, 07:14 AM
me too :D will be arriving christmas eve http://jordan.fortwayne.com/jgbreak/fred/YaBBImages/smilies/santa2.gif

mr. big
November 23rd, 2004, 04:57 PM
you can't miss some of the stores. Barney's does their famous windows. that's the most obvious. a lot of the big department stores like Macy's and Bloomingdales go all out on Christmas decorations. Just walking down Madison or 5th Avenue i am sure you will see lots of cool holiday themed window displays.

NewYorkYankee
November 25th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Is the rockettes show the same every year? Anyone go to the parade? I watched it on TV.

chris_rgbg
November 26th, 2004, 10:51 AM
On December 1st we will visit NYC for six days and we are so excited. At the same time last year I was the first time in NYC and now my two friends have their premiere at the Big Apple. I love Christmas Time in New York.

Oh, i got one quaestion by the way. Last year a friend of mine got a card were are all things at macys can be bought with 20% off. Where can I get this card this year in New York? Thank you

chris