PDA

View Full Version : 1515 Avenue Z

Gulcrapek
October 30th, 2004, 08:32 PM
I recently satisfied my curiosity regarding the vacant site at this address and queued it on the DOB website.

The permit filings indicate 14 floors (!!) at 156 feet and 37 units.
Architect: Newman Design Group
http://www.newmandesigngroup.com

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/JobDetailsServlet?requestid=2&allisn=0001054178&al lboroughname=&allnumbhous=1515&allstrt=AVENUE+Z&s= 2764E472656094405BCE4CFD7393E84A

Developer: Lazar Levitin, 587 Development

It should be noted the tallest building in the area is 150 feet (St. Mark church tower), and that stands nearly twice as tall as the next highest building.

ASchwarz
October 31st, 2004, 04:57 PM
Sheepshead Bay appears to be growing both more urban and more upscale.

I think I walked by this construction site recently.
Is it across from a popular fruit/vegetable market?

Gulcrapek
October 31st, 2004, 07:25 PM
Yup, yup. There was a proposal with a rendering posted onsite more than a year ago but that fell apart. It was a 6 story building of postmodern but not terrible design.

I was just like, "What the f...?!" when I saw "CEL-014".

billyblancoNYC
October 31st, 2004, 11:03 PM
This arch's website is kinda bad, but where is the Regatta building?

muscle1313
November 5th, 2004, 09:58 PM
I drove by the site. Didn't see any permits posted and saw a big for sale sign in the lot. Gulcrapek - You sure this is already a done deal?

Gulcrapek
November 5th, 2004, 10:14 PM
I was a little puzzled too by the sale sign still up, it's probably just been sidetracked. The permits (filing) are current.

muscle1313
November 5th, 2004, 10:23 PM
The permits (filing) are current.

Interesting. I hope it happens. Thanks dude!

Gulcrapek
January 30th, 2005, 09:41 PM
Still barren. The permits keep getting disapproved.

http://skyscraperpage.com/gallery/data/532/1301515zs.jpg

Kolbster
February 2nd, 2005, 10:38 PM
That stinks

billyblancoNYC
February 3rd, 2005, 01:08 AM
Is this the Millenium towers, or the Regatta?

Gulcrapek
February 3rd, 2005, 03:18 PM
Neither.

Gulcrapek
February 21st, 2005, 02:02 AM
http://www.courts.state.ny.us/reporter/3dseries/2004/2004_50542.htm

The developers got in a little tiff...

Gulcrapek
February 23rd, 2005, 06:35 PM
There's now a rendering on the site. Pretty boring. Its redeeming feature is its office podium which is almost completely glass, framed on three sides by a strip of brick. Also, one block away, there are two buildings on E17 St. u/c, one 4 floors, the other not yet doing too much but 7 floors eventually. Bricolage Designs. Ugh.

fven2ra
March 13th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Hi, I'm new to this forum and got here through a google of 1515 Ave. Z after seeing a rendering of the proposed building on this lot. I'm a long-time resident of Sheepshead Bay and this proposal alarms me. Will this be the first of many office building style structures to be put up in this area? Is it possible that a structure this tall could be approved? Your opinion would be appreciated.
Frank

Gulcrapek
March 13th, 2005, 02:02 PM
It's not really an office building type - just a residential-type plopped on an office podium. Its unique location next to the el must have given it some boost in zoning. I doubt there will be many buildings of this height popping up. Notice 1401 Sheepshead Bay Road going up just a few blocks away is only five floors.

fven2ra
March 15th, 2005, 01:51 PM
There is news of another service station being torn down on Ave. Y and E17th Street. It's the Citgo station on the north side of Avenue Y between E16th & E17th Street. The property extends around the corner of E17th Street. The owner of the tire and repair shop told us that he'll be moving before November because they are tearing everything down and constructing a bank and a Petco on the property. I am so glad I enjoyed the past 35 years in this neighborhood. The once quaint close-knit neighborhood is turning into a commercial area where people also happen to live.

Gulcrapek
March 15th, 2005, 02:08 PM
That's really weird... but I also always found it weird there were 2 Citgos right across the street from each other. But about your transformation comment, most of these new things are on sites that were never residential (incl. Citgo and 1515 Z).

fven2ra
March 18th, 2005, 11:12 AM
In response to you about the properties being commercial in the past is that they are tearing down one story structures and building 6 to 14 story structures. Where you were able to see past these structures, you now see walls of brick and block. Not what you want to see if you're a homeowner in that particular neighborhood. I happen to live on a block where there were many single family homes on decent sized properties. During the last 5 or 6 years, 4 of those homes have been sold to contractors and have been replaced with ten 3 family homes (plus rentable basements). Imagine how that has changed the complexion of the block. I understand this is all in the interst of progress. I just don't have to like it. :)

muscle1313
March 20th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Absolutely love the condo construction going on in Sheepshead Bay and I have lived in the neighborhood longer than your 35 years here. The whole neighborhood is full of NIMBYS who are afraid of change. They would rather have old broken down bungalows on Emmons instead of luxury condos with pools and gyms. The progress continues thank goodness.

fven2ra
March 20th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Right, the progress continues until the people that remain in the Bay are all living in little boxes that they call home. Home for me is a decent sized house with some property and privacy with a backyard that my children and pets can play in. Home is the ability to have a pool in your yard and not having 20 balconys overlooking your pool. Home is being able to look out your second floor window and watch the sunrise and at the end of the day watch it set at the opposite end of the house. Home is having a backyard where the sun shines enough hours in the day to grow flowers and fruits. What do you call home?

Now that this is all changing around me, I'll just find another quiet area to live. I'll leave behind you and all those that don't mind massive brick and concrete structures to walk on bulding-shadowed blocks pretending that you are enjoying the view. Maybe some nice storeowner will hire someone to paint a mural of trees and open spaces on their wall. Enjoy the scenery.

ASchwarz
March 20th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Right, the progress continues until the people that remain in the Bay are all living in little boxes that they call home. Home for me is a decent sized house with some property and privacy with a backyard that my children and pets can play in. Home is the ability to have a pool in your yard and not having 20 balconys overlooking your pool. Home is being able to look out your second floor window and watch the sunrise and at the end of the day watch it set at the opposite end of the house. Home is having a backyard where the sun shines enough hours in the day to grow flowers and fruits. What do you call home?

Now that this is all changing around me, I'll just find another quiet area to live. I'll leave behind you and all those that don't mind massive brick and concrete structures to walk on bulding-shadowed blocks pretending that you are enjoying the view. Maybe some nice storeowner will hire someone to paint a mural of trees and open spaces on their wall. Enjoy the scenery.

Sheepshead Bay is urban, not suburban. Why would you live in Sheepshead Bay if you prefer the suburbs?

You live in Brooklyn, not a sprawling suburb on Long Island or in New Jersey. Brooklyn is urban and dense, the suburbs are scattered and car-oriented. If you want a giant yard, an SUV and a Wal Mart, move to the suburbs. If you want apartment housing, public transportation and walkable streets, stay in Brooklyn.

Since you seem to love open space so much, how can you claim to love the suburban life? Suburbs waste land, cities preserve open space. Obviously an apartment building is more environmentally sound than a bunch of half-acre homes with huge back yards.

Sheepshead Bay is a thousand times better than in the past. It used to have no diversity, no streetlife, and was in serious decline. Homes were practically worthless, and retail strips were dead. Russian and Asian immigration has led to a huge boom.

Gulcrapek
March 20th, 2005, 06:26 PM
He didn't say he wanted big sprawling lawns and related, just some space. Like a backyard and maybe a small front yard. And he does have a point with overdevelopment in a way, given that most new buildings in the neighborhood are poor excuses for "architecture."

That all being said, there are many places in the Bay that are not being affected by the newly-constructed condo boom. My square block, three to the west, and a bunch to the south have had no new construction in recent times, just renovations.

ASchwarz
March 20th, 2005, 06:35 PM
He didn't say he wanted big sprawling lawns and related, just some space. Like a backyard and maybe a small front yard. And he does have a point with overdevelopment in a way, given that most new buildings in the neighborhood are poor excuses for "architecture."

That all being said, there are many places in the Bay that are not being affected by the newly-constructed condo boom. My square block, three to the west, and a bunch to the south have had no new construction in recent times, just renovations.

The development in Sheepshead Bay is concentrated on the Avenues. Side streets in the Bay don't have massive new structures, though there is some infill. I recently walked the length of Avenue Z (Knapp Street to Ocean Avenue), the street has barely changed at all (except a little around Ocean Avenue).

I would guess most opponents of change in South Brooklyn are more opposed to the newcomers who buy these condos rather than the condos themselves.

muscle1313
March 20th, 2005, 07:18 PM
I have lived in Sheepshead Bay my whole life. My wife and I bought a luxury condo on the marina 5 years ago with an Olympic sized pool, gym and sauna. We absolutely love it here. I remember what Emmons Avenue looked like when I was a kid. It was a freakin ghost town! Now they are building condos down the block (where the Palm Shore cabana club used to be) that will go for $1.5 million. There are about 30 restaurants all within a 10 minute walk on Emmons, a multiplex UA Movie Theater next block near Knapp St and the beach within a 15 minute walk. Do I want old broken down 60 year old bungalows here. No! But the neighborhood wants that! This is not the country. Its the city. WAKE UP!

muscle1313
March 20th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Sheepshead Bay is urban, not suburban. Why would you live in Sheepshead Bay if you prefer the suburbs?

Sheepshead Bay is a thousand times better than in the past. It used to have no diversity, no streetlife, and was in serious decline. Homes were practically worthless, and retail strips were dead. Russian and Asian immigration has led to a huge boom.

I could not agree more. Its refreshing to find someone who has a similar perspective.

BklynJeff
March 20th, 2005, 08:29 PM
I'm curious.....since these condos are going to cost in the $1 to $2million range, who, or how many of us can afford it? Is the plan to bring in affluent New Yorkers from other parts of the city? When I see the new 7-floor condo on Ocean Ave. between S & T with SOLD signs in all of the windows, I have to wonder who is buying them before the building is complete. Is it the Russians? Is it an investor who is buying a whole floor who will then rent them out? Obviously, you can do this much easier than a co-op.

I just didn't think there were a tremendous amount of residents in the area who can buy these kinds of places. Sure, there are some can, but all of a sudden there is now a huge demand for million dollar apartments in Sheepshead Bay?

I like the fact that from Avenue M to Sheepshead Bay there is much change going on, but a middle-class city employee like me just can't afford a place like this. Some of you will benefit, but I sure don't see myself as one of them. And the new condo building outside my 6th floor window has blocked part of the view.........and now I will be overlooking a $725,000 penthouse apartment!

Ok, rant over.

muscle1313
March 20th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Its part of the real estate boom all around NY Jeff. Prices have gone crazy everywhere and its not just condos. Single and 2 family homes in the Bay are going for sky high prices too. Nothing goes up in a straight line though. The boom will end sooner or later. We can't control the prices, but the fact that the NIMBYs continuously fight against the condos, and to save broken down bungalows just boggles my mind. If a person has a choice would they rather live in an oceanfront condo with pools and a gym or a 60 year old bungalow that may fall apart in a heavy rainstorm. This neighborhood loves its bungalows! Why???

muscle1313
March 20th, 2005, 09:24 PM
I like the fact that from Avenue M to Sheepshead Bay there is much change going on, but a middle-class city employee like me just can't afford a place like this. Some of you will benefit, but I sure don't see myself as one of them. And the new condo building outside my 6th floor window has blocked part of the view.........and now I will be overlooking a $725,000 penthouse apartment!

Ok, rant over.

Jeff, my wife and I have discussed this subject many times. If we were buying today instead of 5 years ago where is there something reasonable. I don't think we could afford to buy our condo today with the way prices have soared. I think the answer is co-ops on the water here. The Viking co-op on Emmons has a pool and overlooks the Bay and has very reasonable prices. Co-ops are much more affordable than condos here. That is probably where we would look.

fven2ra
March 21st, 2005, 05:41 AM
It's obvious, from reading these posts, that everyone has their own idea of what they enjoy coming home to at night. Some people like apartment (condo or co-op) living, while others enjoy a home with a yard. I respect each person's preference. I just feel that some of us are taking a narrow view of the subject. To the person who lives in the luxury condo on the waterfront; that is also a nice lifestyle and I could live with that. But suppose someone built a structure that blocked your wonderful view of the water? Or even worse, suppose they put up a wall that was inches from your window? I've seen this happen many times. I'm sure you bought the condo knowing that you would have those wonderful views and now someone, totally within their rights, constructed this building completely blocking your view. I'm sure this would upset you and rightfully so. Progress is terrific and things change, but like I said in my frist post, I don't have to like it.

BklynJeff
March 21st, 2005, 07:35 PM
I for one have been looking for a co-op, but there isn't much stock out there within my price range, especially a co-op within walking distance of the subway. I have seen some nice price deals, but they are just so impractical for me. I did see one I liked but the seller would not take a bank mortgage, only sponsor financing, so I walked away.
I got so desperate, I went to Queens to look. Same story, and I just don't think I could get used to it out there.
It's true you got to be careful as to what goes up next door to you. An attorney told me that he was approached about the existing building on the corner of E. 18th street and Quentin Rd. which was adversely affected by the construction of the new condo right next to it. All of the apartments with windows on the east side now look out to a brick wall, and the foundation of the existing building was undermined during excavation of the new building.
buyer beware.

Gulcrapek
April 2nd, 2005, 05:11 PM
The building's been approved. Upon seeing the rendering a second and third time, I like it more. Though it's still bland in its upper half. The podium seems nice.

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/JobDetailsServlet?requestid=2&allisn=0001054178&allboroughname=&allnumbhous=1515&allstrt=AVENUE+Z&s=2764E472656094405BCE4CFD7393E84A

Gulcrapek
July 8th, 2005, 02:32 AM
1515 Avenue Z

http://img276.echo.cx/img276/1576/1515z6lz.th.jpg (http://img276.echo.cx/my.php?image=1515z6lz.jpg)

sfenn1117
July 8th, 2005, 02:42 AM
Yuck......the base and the tower clash too much. They don't coincide at all. Too bad they didn't just stick with the residential.

Gulcrapek
July 8th, 2005, 02:50 AM
I'd rather they'd stuck with the office design..