PDA

View Full Version : How Does California Compare to New York?

Talksoccer
November 10th, 2004, 08:01 PM
Hi

What do you think of the areas such as LA, Orange county, San Francisco and San Diego compare to New York.

Obviously the weather is better in California but what else are the differences and which is better to live in?

Thanks

Pilaro
November 10th, 2004, 09:44 PM
How Does California Compare to New York?

It doesn't. :wink:
Personally I think New York is better, even the weather. With the exception of San Francisco and a few truely urban areas, California(southern) is a giant, dry, sprawl mess.

ryan
November 10th, 2004, 10:04 PM
Nothing really compares to NYC, but SF is a really wonderful place I could spend a lot of time. California has natural beauty in a way that NY just doesn't...

yyy
November 11th, 2004, 01:02 AM
NYC is the best :!: I like LA and SF too but they don't have those great skyscrapers and nice parks and other great things. I know they have some of that, but still NYC has something special for me. The only bad thing, as you said, is the weather :( - is it really that cold in there? I don't like cold weather.

fargo2nyc
November 12th, 2004, 02:45 PM
I grew up in Rialto California-- lived there until my second year of college. Even though I was born in the east coast- Providence and visit NYC many times as a child I did not go my first time until feb of 2001. At the time my plans were to finish college in Chicago--- until after that week in New York.
That trip changed my life-- in my opinion and I lived in california Los Angeles and Inland Empire and have friends and family in Orange County, SD and SF but there is NO COMPARIONSON what so ever to NYC. It is like another world in NYC. Yes southern california has nice weather-- but that is all they have, and people who try to seel you California never seem to think that maybe people (like myself) like the change of season. I like snow (to an extent) and warmth and fall and spring and defintly summer. People say NYC is more exspensive but that is a myth--at least for me. I love the day I came to NYC and did not have to get a car-- I pay 70.00 for my MTA card and thats it. No gas, no insurance, matience or any of that.
Many say the club scene in NYC has died, but if it is true then in LA and SF it was never there. I mean do not get me wrong I LOVE SF, 2nd favorite city but its not NYC. The clubs here are open to all hours of the night and some stay open til noon. When I was in LA i notice that it was like listening to the radio---same music, it was not like that here in NYC. New stuff that actually made you dance. Granted there is no steve rubell , andy worhel (sp) or Michael Alig-- but in my opinion the club scene is alive and fun.
MY friends ask me do I miss the beach and I say when I first got to NYC i lived on the beach. Yes the great thing about NYC is that it is a short train ride to BRIGHTON Beach in brooklyn and yes you can swim in the water, and they have shops and resturants just like Laguna and the rest of them. The only thing is I do not have to spend a ton of time onthe highway.
When a person tells people they are from LA they get a oh I heard its not as great as it is said to be, when you tell people you live in NYC you get a totally diffrent reaction, the aw the feel. Then it is ALOT safer here in NYC. People are stuck thinking of the NYC of the late 70s and 80s, but it is far from that---very safe.
That is my thoughts and expierences and I lived in cali from 1986-2000 and did my share of paryting, job hunting and living there. I wish I would have move to NY right after college
This city truly is the greatest city in the world!!!!!!!!!

AsianNYLover
August 13th, 2007, 02:05 AM
I grew up in Rialto California-- lived there until my second year of college. Even though I was born in the east coast- Providence and visit NYC many times as a child I did not go my first time until feb of 2001. At the time my plans were to finish college in Chicago--- until after that week in New York.
That trip changed my life-- in my opinion and I lived in california Los Angeles and Inland Empire and have friends and family in Orange County, SD and SF but there is NO COMPARIONSON what so ever to NYC. It is like another world in NYC. Yes southern california has nice weather-- but that is all they have, and people who try to seel you California never seem to think that maybe people (like myself) like the change of season. I like snow (to an extent) and warmth and fall and spring and defintly summer. People say NYC is more exspensive but that is a myth--at least for me. I love the day I came to NYC and did not have to get a car-- I pay 70.00 for my MTA card and thats it. No gas, no insurance, matience or any of that.
Many say the club scene in NYC has died, but if it is true then in LA and SF it was never there. I mean do not get me wrong I LOVE SF, 2nd favorite city but its not NYC. The clubs here are open to all hours of the night and some stay open til noon. When I was in LA i notice that it was like listening to the radio---same music, it was not like that here in NYC. New stuff that actually made you dance. Granted there is no steve rubell , andy worhel (sp) or Michael Alig-- but in my opinion the club scene is alive and fun.
MY friends ask me do I miss the beach and I say when I first got to NYC i lived on the beach. Yes the great thing about NYC is that it is a short train ride to BRIGHTON Beach in brooklyn and yes you can swim in the water, and they have shops and resturants just like Laguna and the rest of them. The only thing is I do not have to spend a ton of time onthe highway.
When a person tells people they are from LA they get a oh I heard its not as great as it is said to be, when you tell people you live in NYC you get a totally diffrent reaction, the aw the feel. Then it is ALOT safer here in NYC. People are stuck thinking of the NYC of the late 70s and 80s, but it is far from that---very safe.
That is my thoughts and expierences and I lived in cali from 1986-2000 and did my share of paryting, job hunting and living there. I wish I would have move to NY right after college
This city truly is the greatest city in the world!!!!!!!!!

Totally Agree with you, Going to move to New York after 4 years in Los Angeles 2003-2007. I originally grew up in Michigan and I'm use to the cold even though I hate. I can't to move to NYC very soon!!!!!

Ninjahedge
August 13th, 2007, 09:25 AM
LA = Plastic. Very nice, but very pre-packaged feel to it.
SF = Crunchy. I love SF, but it has a more organic feel to it. A bit more Desert Coastline as well.
NYC = Most diversity, but EXTREMELY 'concentrated'. VERY expensive as well. Some of the best and worst can be found here.
Boston = Nice, college "kitch", but cold and much smaller than NYC.

Between all those cities, I have gotten so spoiled on some things and I do not think I could easily adjust to the 'burbs again after living in and around these areas for so long...

kliq6
August 13th, 2007, 10:17 AM
You cant compare the two

Scraperfannyc
August 13th, 2007, 11:18 AM
NYC is very different than LA, SF and SD. Each of LA, SF and SD are very different from eachother. They each have different life styles, different attitudes, different weather (Except SD and LA may be similar in this respect), different food scenes, etc.

I would not compare east coast to west coast cities other than saying SF is the west coast city most like NYC in terms of concentration, compactness, and public transportation, but it is quite different than NYC.