PDA

View Full Version : On-Street Parking

NewYorkYankee
November 27th, 2004, 10:46 PM
Can some one direct me to a website or help me out. When we were in NY we would look at the parking signs on the streets and it said no parking 7a.m.-7p.m. but people were there anyway and no ticket. Why? Im so confused about the alternate side parking, and the signs, when to park there, when not to. Help! :lol:

NoyokA
November 28th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Its possible you were parked near a police department or a hospital and they were cops or md's personal cars. Alternate Side parking is not in effect on the major holidays.

jiw40
November 28th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Hey LUV,
I just read the transcript of your Sept. trip to the city,and something sounded very wrong.In it you said you came from Baltimore and were going to enter the city from the Battery Tunnel!??!That would mean you were in Brooklyn already and had gone through or around Manhattan somehow,adding plenty of time and miles to your travel.In the future if you approach NY from the south you want the Holland Tunnel.That would have discharged you only several blocks north of your West St. Marriott.But as you will become a local soon you'll find getting there can be half the fun(anguish?)in NY.PS You'll probably find a NYC Transit map helpful in getting around and finding the major streets downtown that aren't part of the midtown grid system.

NewYorkYankee
November 28th, 2004, 02:20 PM
We always go across the Verazzano through S.I. through BK, we went through QNS in sept also just to go a diff. way. We will probably take the Holland next time, or maybe the lincoln? We just like to go diff. ways. My father believes also that the S.I.-Verazzano-BK-Battery Tunnel entry is easy. P.S. I do have a map of lower Manhattan...phew..I dont know if Ill ever be able to get around with out it. (No joke)

NYatKNIGHT
November 29th, 2004, 10:44 AM
There is no general rule of thumb to know where it's legal to park until you get to know an area well enough, except this: always read the signs and obey them. If you are unsure, don't park there.

NewYorkYankee
November 29th, 2004, 09:38 PM
Good advice NYatKNIGHT :lol:

ZippyTheChimp
December 1st, 2004, 05:52 PM
Signs with red lettering are restrictions.
Signs with green lettering are permissions.

Single arrows will point to an identical sign with an opposite arrow. The regulation covers the area between the signs.

Double arrows mean the regulation covers the entire block.

NewYorkYankee
December 1st, 2004, 08:47 PM
Signs with red lettering are restrictions.
Signs with green lettering are permissions.

Single arrows will point to an identical sign with an opposite arrow. The regulation covers the area between the signs.

Double arrows mean the regulation covers the entire block.

Ive never saw the green signs.

Can some one post some pics of new york city parking signs? (Please)

Bowbridge
December 5th, 2004, 05:43 PM
Here is a red one that you might want to pay attention to unless you have a fat wallet.

http://williamschroeder.com/img_5793_std.jpg

NewYorkYankee
December 5th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Ouch! id rather not pay that! Thanks for the pic!

dannyfree
December 27th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Hi everyone and Happy holidays. I'm a new member and know a good deal about parking rules in NYC. However, I have not been able to find a database of rules by sign for particular streets that I can access on my PC. Please let me know if you have any info on this.

Immediately, I'm trying to find out what the signs read on or in the vicinity of E. 8th St. from 5th Ave to 4th Ave., in the Greenwich Village/East Village area including the NYU area. I know there are meters on E. 8th St., but I'm not sure of the hours in effect. Basically, I'm planning to be in the area on a weekday, (Dec. 27) around 7:00 PM and don't want to pay the stiff price for a garage. Can anyone help? Many thanks.

BrooklynRider
December 29th, 2006, 12:04 AM
You can check here.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/motorist/scrintro.html

Best thing to do is park in a spot where alternate side of the street parking is suspended (i.e., mondays (1/1)), in which case you don't need to move your car until 1/7.