PDA

View Full Version : Newspapers

NewYorkYankee
November 29th, 2004, 04:23 PM
What are all the newspapers in NYC, and how do they stand (Amongst what people think of them) Such as The Times, The Post, Newsday(Especially newsday, im curious to it) anyone get these at your door every morning? Any I forgot? Does anyone watch it on TV? Whats the best time to watch to see all that happened in the city. What channel? NY1?

BrooklynRider
November 29th, 2004, 05:10 PM
NY1 is the best NYC-centric news program. I like Lou Dobbs on CNN for national, international and economic news.

I read my news on the Internet every morning. Genberally, I read:

NYTimes.com (pretty thoroughly - including editorials)
CNN.com (love all those polls)
AlJazeera.net (to get the real news of the Middle East and alternative world news)
BBC.com
Crainsny.com (NY Business news)
CSMonitor.com (Christian Science Monitor - excellent journalism - don't let the name deter you.)
Newsday.com (occasionally)
nyc.indymedia.org (independent news and a good pulse for anti-Bush, anti-globalization, anti-corporate and anti-war resistance groups
truthout.org (good collection of across the board editorials and columns)
washingtonpost.com (Inside DC News)
rawstory.com (the DrudgeReport of the left).

Eugenius
November 29th, 2004, 05:16 PM
I find the Wall Street Journal to be the most informed, as well as the best-written. During election season I typically turned to them for more or less objective editorials (as opposed to pretty biased fare that you'd find on NY Times, CNN, and Fox News). Unfortunately, WSJ Online is not free; however, I think it is well worth the price.

Schadenfrau
November 29th, 2004, 05:48 PM
ILUVNYC, Newsday is more of a Long Island paper than it is a New York City paper.

The New York Post is an inimitable gossip rag that almost always gets it wrong, yet never fails to entertain. Their local coverage is good, scandalous fun. Skip the editorials and check out the reader letters for a laugh. Their gossip is hands-down the best.

The Daily News is a sad shadow of the NY Post that tries to draw in a few readers by being slightly (and only slightly) less frothing at the mouth.

The New York Times arguably sets the standard for newspapers across the country.

The Wall Street Journal sets the standard for financial newspapers across the country.

The salmon-hued New York Observer is highbrow and hilarious.

AM New York and Metro are free papers that also serve as fresh street garbage.

Don't even bother asking about the New York Sun. Nobody reads it.

Gulcrapek
November 29th, 2004, 06:24 PM
I used to, then the free ones stopped coming. :wink:

nybboy
November 29th, 2004, 06:33 PM
I prefer the internet. You could get news from around the world. On the internet, the first news site I go to is usually DRUDGEREPORT.COM

NewYorkYankee
November 29th, 2004, 09:37 PM
Good links Brooklynrider, do you read those EVERY morning? Must take a long time! LOL. Schadenfrau, Thank you for your post. Very informative, exactly what I wanted. :) Thanks!

TLOZ Link5
November 30th, 2004, 01:13 AM
I read The Guardian from time to time.

NewYorkYankee
November 30th, 2004, 01:57 PM
I read The Guardian from time to time.

Im not familier with it, is it like the post?

TLOZ Link5
November 30th, 2004, 03:28 PM
The Guardian is a British newspaper. From what they claim, it's not owned by the state or a company. It's often critical of U.S. foreign policy, but it offers a very European view to world affairs.

fioco
November 30th, 2004, 04:25 PM
For me, a broadsheet is the most enjoyable however seldom pleasure. Each morning I quickly read through the online NY Times, scan the other NY dailies and, if time permits, glance at a few other sites: BBC, Guardian (UK), Le Monde, IHT, Wash Post. I have a news folder in my browser favorites that includes major U.S. papers and a dozen international ones.

A favorite bookmark is Headline Central (http://www.headlinecentral.com/default_index.html) with tabbed pages for World, North America, Europe, Asia, the Middle East, and Australia. Most, but not all, sources are in English. It's a great way to get a world-view when one has some time.

The Guardian (UK) also provides a similar service: World News Guide (http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldnewsguide/)

And lastly, News Google (http://news.google.com) is an aggregate yet it often includes newspapers from Australia to China to Boise ID. Caution: Most stories are from wire services; if nothing else it underscores the dearth of truly independent news sources.

MrShakespeare
November 30th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Two that have not been mentioned yet are:

Gotham Gazette
http://www.gothamgazette.com/

...Which is a personal favorite of mine because their banner retains a skyline that includes the twin towers... :)

and

Downtown Express
http://downtownexpress.com/

...An excellent weekly that focuses on lower Manhattan.

Also, just becuase the Sun doesn't have a large population of readers doesn't mean it is a poor paper. It is a mistake that their internet site is not free (they are not the WSJ), but they do have good articles, from time to time, in my view.

NewYorkYankee
November 30th, 2004, 09:08 PM
Does the times have EVERY shooting,death,stabbing, etc in everydays metro section? Does NY1 tell these things everyday at a certain time? Im just curious. Ill read about someone getting raped on Newsday but not on the times.

Schadenfrau
December 1st, 2004, 12:38 PM
No newspaper or television channel really covers every single crime that takes place in the metro area.

TonyO
January 18th, 2005, 11:33 AM
WSJ
1/18/05

$9 an Hour and All the News You Can Read

IN A GRITTY warehouse in midtown Manhattan, a dozen performers listened carefully as a director told them how to play a scene on a busy Manhattan sidewalk. One woman's role was to be bubbly and try to get harried pedestrians to take a free newspaper out of her hands; her co-stars, the pedestrians, bulldozed right past her.

"One, two, three, go!" the burly coach shouted, as the actors got into character and took their places. As they strode to and fro, the woman hammed it up, shouting "Good morning! amNewYork!" and trying to insert the paper into their hands. The coach eyed her and scribbled some notes.

An audition for a Broadway show? A commercial? An acting class? No, the woman was trying out to be a newspaper hawker for amNewYork, the five-day-a-week tabloid started 14 months ago, partly with backing from Chicago's Tribune Co.

Five mornings a week, "newsies" distribute amNewYork to rush-hour pedestrians at street corners and major commuter hubs such as Grand Central Terminal and Pennsylvania Station. And they have plenty of competition. Lately there are hundreds more hawkers handing out free newspapers on the sidewalks of New York, with the arrival of both amNewYork and Metro International's Metro New York, as well as the 25- cent New York Sun, published by One SL LLC.

Circulation for amNewYork, as of this month, increased to 325,000 copies, more than double the 150,000 copies at its October 2003 launch, the tabloid says. The paper credits the increase in large part to its approximately 200 newsies, 21st-century versions of the saucy boys who hawked newspapers in the 19th century. Street sellers of amNewYork are easily identifiable, in their red-logo aprons. Many are full- and part-time college students, immigrants working second jobs and aspiring artists and performers.

They are the kind of people who want to stand outdoors and banter with strangers for three hours in the morning, sometimes starting as early as 6 a.m. The job pays nine dollars an hour.

"It starts my day off," says Michele Atkinson, a hawker who sometimes works a busy Penn Station location. "You wake up early, do your stuff, and once it's done, you're hyped up." "I get to be creative," says Wahid Ali, 23 years old. Plus, "it's only three hours, so I can just bust it out and go back to sleep, or do three hours and go to class."

The increased use of newsies comes as investors and regulators are scrutinizing the way newspapers are sold on newstands and through other single-copy vendors. Big publishers have blamed errors for serious overstatements in reported circulation figures at newspapers including Hollinger International Inc.'s Chicago Sun-Times, Tribune Co.'s Newsday and Spanish-language Hoy, and Belo Corp.'s Dallas Morning News. Some people think publishers need to update old- fashioned distribution systems with bar codes and electronic tracking.

At amNewYork, managers count how many papers each hawker gets and how many he or she returns. A newsie who got 2,000 papers and gave away only 900 might get only 1,000 the next day. Supervisors often secretly monitor distribution spots to make sure newsies don't misbehave, for example, by distributing their product to the nearest trash can.

On a recent Wednesday evening, about 200 men and women came from the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island and New Jersey to the Manhattan warehouse to vie for fewer than 40 openings. Hopefuls were judged, Olympics-style, on a scale of one to five, on things such as appearance, frequency of smiles and "hunger," or ability to hand out papers.

Thirty-nine people were offered hawker jobs. Haidin Palacios, an amNewYork supervisor who ran the audition, says, "The kind of people I look for are professional, responsible and friendly. Are you smiling? Do you come alive?"

Mr. Ali does. Sprightly at 5-feet, 5-inches tall, he can be heard and seen on weekday mornings at the Cortlandt Street subway stop, just footsteps from Ground Zero. Grinning ear to ear with a stack of newspapers on his arm, Mr. Ali is credited with boosting the paper's circulation at this subway stop to 2,000 copies a day, up from 800 a year ago.

Mr. Ali often revels in the day's grim headlines. "A 22-year-old from Queens kills his friend over a bowl of soup!" he hollered one morning. And he can be eager to broadcast news about himself. "Damn, I really gotta use the potty," he said for all to hear one morning as he neared the end of his shift. In another sign of the discipline amNewYork tries to instill in its promoters, they aren't allowed bathroom breaks during their shifts, except in case of a real emergency.

Mr. Ali takes on the duty of waking groggy morning commuters. "Good morning, guys!" he shouted cheerfully one morning. When no one answered, Mr. Ali teased them. "Aw, come on. Let me see some smiles. Wake up! I don't want to serve a bunch of zombies!"

Newsies are thought to have appeared first in the 1830s with the first penny dailies. By the 1930s, newsstands and the growing use of home subscriptions were making them obsolete. "Young people have a way of presenting themselves and dressing that can be off-putting to people of a certain age, but that may have a real connection with young folks," says Thomas C. Leonard, professor at the graduate school of journalism at the University of California, Berkeley.

Big publishers hope slim, easy-reading tabloids -- all distributed by street-hawkers, to one degree or another -- will help them reach commuters in their 20s and 30s. Earlier this month, the New York Times Co. announced it would buy a 49% stake in Metro Boston for $16.5 million; Metro International's U.S. unit will continue to control and manage the paper, including its editorial operations. Belo has launched Quick in Dallas, while in Washington, the Washington Post Co. has launched Express. In Chicago, Tribune Co. publishes RedEye, going head-to-head with Hollinger's Red Streak.

Established tabloids, like News Corp.'s New York Post, and the Daily News, owned by real-estate tycoon Mortimer Zuckerman, have used street hawkers on and off over the years. Now, a new crop of publishers, facing flat or falling circulation at their flagship papers, are adopting the tactic.

Underlying the declines in readership at many major newspapers are two ominous threats: The most-dedicated newspaper readers are aging. And they aren't being replaced with enough young readers, because many young people don't read papers for news but get their news instead from the Internet and 24-hour cable-TV.

Daily circulation for the U.S. newspapers reporting to the Audit Bureau of Circulations was down 0.9% to 47,711,751 for the six months ended Sept. 30, according to an analysis by the Newspaper Association of America.

Arnie Applebaum, general manager of the Express, the Washington daily launched in August 2003, says 70% of the newspaper's distribution is done through some 130 hawkers working at Metro stops. In some cases, the paper positions them right near free newspaper boxes. "People are in a rush," Mr. Applebaum says. "We found that people don't want to take a few steps out of their way to get a paper. If we put a hawker in the right place . . . we can distribute a heck of a lot of newspapers in a short amount of time."

Deimos
March 2nd, 2005, 01:50 PM
I get the Sun for free in my building, and I pass up the offer. That paper is a waste of the paper it's printed on. I remember during the blackout looking at a picture of a fight breaking out somewhere in the city (don't remember which neighborhood). I was disgusted by what I hope was a picture of a staged event, which was in and of itself an apalling thought for a newspaper.

On a brighter note, you've all forgotten the absolute best paper in the city, the Onion! Whenever i'm in Union Square, I make sure to pick up a copy from Virgin... does anyone know if there's a location near grand central to get a copy?

TonyO
March 2nd, 2005, 03:35 PM
The Sun is a conservative paper, but it is not a tabloid. Its Real Estate section is well done, as it has Michael Stoler.

I get the WSJ daily, NYT on Sundays. I read pretty much every NY daily online. In my opinion, the Post is worthless except for Steve Cuozzo.

ryan
March 2nd, 2005, 08:24 PM
I like WNYC for news - especially the Brian Lehrer show for local news. They don't focus on all the sensationalistic garbage, and they really go into depth. I've been listening to NPR for years though...

NewYorkYankee
March 2nd, 2005, 08:55 PM
Do they offer a website Ryan?

ryan
March 2nd, 2005, 09:19 PM
Do they offer a website Ryan?

Yes, you can stream them at wnyc.org (http://www.wnyc.org/). The mp3 stream sounds as good as radio.

NewYorkYankee
March 3rd, 2005, 06:32 AM
Thank you!

TonyO
June 28th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Crain's

June 28, 2005

NYTimes.com has largest online readership

by Kris Oser, AdAge.com
Newspapers, once a cornerstone of consumer media consumption, are losing ever more readers to online editions, according to the latest research by Internet measurement firm Nielsen/NetRatings.

Nearly one-quarter (21%) of Web users who do read newspapers now read the daily paper online.

Overall, online newspaper readership is led by the NYTimes.com, which had 11.3 million unique visitors in May, according to NetRatings. No. 2 is USAToday.com, with 9.2 million unique visitors and WashingtonPost.com with 7.4 million. Rounding out the top five were LATimes.com with 3.8 million and SFGate.com, the Web site of the San Francisco Chronicle, with 3.4 million unique visitors.

Although the research shows the majority of newspaper readers are still turning to the traditional print edition, the finding shows that the shift away from paper to computer screens is steadily increasing.

A Newspaper Association of America analysis of the figures from the Audit Bureau of Circulations calculated that newspapers’ total average daily circulation dropped 1.9% to 47.4 million, and that Sunday circulation fell 2.5% to 51 million. The figures cover the six-month period ended March 31.

The Nielsen study, the first NetRatings has done focusing on newspaper readership, shows that online editions have incorporated original, Internet-specific content that seeks to keep readers on the site. That content includes online message boards, editorial blogs and up-to-the-minute news postings, which leverage the medium’s strengths, said Gerry Davidson, senior media analyst at Nielsen/NetRatings.

"Newspapers are appealing to their readers with immediacy and interactivity options and are delivering what the technology allows them to do,” Mr. Davidson said.

Men, more so than women, access their newspapers primarily online. Men make up 53% of online readers, while women comprise 47%. Comparatively, women make up 57% of those who read newspapers primarily in print.

The NetRatings survey routinely polls 36,000 online users by telephone. For this study, they were asked, "Do you primarily read the newspaper online or offline?"

ryan
June 28th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Great to see sfgate is near the top of the heap. They're a great urban/liberal paper.

Clarknt67
July 8th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Yes, you can stream them at wnyc.org (http://www.wnyc.org/). The mp3 stream sounds as good as radio.

I just upgraded to iTunes 4.9 and they support podcasting! You can configure iTunes to download your favorite wnyc programs to your iPod (so you can listen to them on the subway).

I'm very psyched.

NewYorkYankee
July 10th, 2005, 10:25 AM
AH technology. Im so far behind. I dont even have an IPOD, yet.

TonyO
December 15th, 2005, 04:22 PM
December 11, 2005
New York Observed

To Catch a Thief

By JAKE MOONEY
IF you were driving down Court Street in Cobble Hill some morning last fall, or rushing to catch the F train at the start of your midmorning commute, you might have seen me. I was the one in the blue bathrobe and slippers, darting out the front of my building onto the busy sidewalk to pick up my newspaper before trudging back up the stairs for a bleary-eyed cup of tea and a bowl of cereal.

That was if things went well - and they usually did. Usually the blue plastic bag was leaning against the building, or within arm's reach, so I could lean out, grab it and duck back inside in one quick motion, avoiding the prospect of darting onto the sidewalk in pajama pants, to the disapproving looks of the elderly women who always picked that moment to walk by.

Some days, though, the scene was altogether different. The bathrobe and I were there, and the old women were there, but the blue bag wasn't. There was no darting outside on these days, no quick grab and return to a warm apartment. There was me on the sidewalk, rubbing my eyes, scratching my head and wondering: Who took my paper?

When people talk about crime in their neighborhood, they always seem to talk about the big things: muggings, stolen cars. But slinking back inside empty-handed and scrounging for a week-old magazine to read with breakfast can ruin your day too, and after a while it will drive you to distraction. On weekends, trying to sleep late, I'd snap awake at the first rays of sun and wonder if I could afford not to bring the paper in. These were the weekend sections, after all, more tempting to thieves, and more annoying to have to replace. Sometimes the decision to go back to sleep was worth it, and other times I was punished with an empty front step a couple of hours later.

The worst thing about all this, of course, wasn't handing over a few extra bucks to the fellow at the bodega every once in a while. It was the nagging feeling that I didn't know whom to trust. That nice couple with the dog that was sniffing around outside the Key Food? My upstairs neighbors? Those watchful old women? Someone was giving in to temptation and making off with a crucial part of my morning routine, and there was nothing I could do about it.

One of my neighbors, frustrated by the same problem, once put up a sign in his lobby bluntly demanding that the thieving stop. This bold tactic was the talk of the building, but there was no indication that it worked. Most people I've known in that situation react more the way my boss did upon finding that the envelope with the tip he had left for his newspaper carrier had disappeared too. They grumble, shake their heads and move on, just a little less trusting of their fellow New Yorkers.

"Who would do something like that?" they say. "Who steals something that can easily be bought for a dollar or two? And why?"

I wish I could say I had the answers. In fact, there was a time last fall when I planned to get them, and I had the whole operation planned out. My planning had started months earlier, when I was at an outdoor concert and rain clouds moved in. I looked back to where I had stashed my umbrella, but it was gone. I was well into the grumbling stage when, on the way out at the end of the night, I spotted someone carrying the very same umbrella.

"Excuse me," I said, sidling up to the culprit. "Is that my umbrella?"

"I don't know," he said, looking at me for a second. "Probably."

He handed it over and, without another word, walked away.

MAYBE it had something to do with the banality of evil, but the guy didn't look dangerous, or even particularly malicious. He looked like someone who had seen something, wanted it and grabbed it without a second thought about who besides himself was going to get rained on. Maybe, I thought, it was people like this who had been taking my paper, and maybe if they thought more about what it's like to eat breakfast with no newspaper, they would be deterred.

Thus was hatched my plan to stake out my own apartment early some Saturday or Sunday morning, watch my newspaper, and wait. The coffee shop across the street had some chairs outside that offered a clear view of my front door. I planned to rise early, bundle up against the weather and get into position, leaving the paper right where it was.

Eventually, my thinking went, somebody would take it. Maybe not that morning, but if I kept setting up an observation post outside, and if the rate of disappearing papers remained the same, it would happen eventually, and like a scientist in a nature film, I would observe. Would this person pause for a second to think? Would he look around? Would he walk away more quickly than he had arrived?

I never did figure out what would happen next. Obviously, I would cross the street, catch up to the thief and say something. Maybe I would ask what he was thinking, and whether he had done this before. Or I'd ask why he couldn't just go around the corner to the newsstand. He would apologize, give me back my paper, maybe even shed a tear of remorse, and offer some monetary reimbursement for all the time and trouble.

Needless to say, none of this ever happened. For one thing, I never could get up early on weekends, and soon it was winter and there was snow on the ground. Then I moved, to a place with a tall stoop and a gate that discourages impulse theft. Now when the paper doesn't come, I know that it's simply because someone forgot to deliver it.

Still, the odds are strong that somewhere in the city, maybe even on my old block, a newspaper has been stolen. Maybe its rightful owner doesn't even know it is missing, and in an hour or two he will stand half awake, scanning the sidewalk and wondering just what kind of person would take it.

And maybe, just maybe, that person is reading right now. To him, I say this: You have a lot of explaining to do.

Ninjahedge
December 15th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Who needs to steal them when you can GOOGLE them?

whiteoutcorruption
February 14th, 2007, 02:52 AM
One can not trust on News Day to provide accurate news. Unfortunately Newsday has turned into a grade below average. The editors and managing staff print wrong information just to sell the paper. It even lied to people about its own subscription.

News Day prints very favorable news and editorials for those companies which buy advertising space. Is it ethical. I do not think so.

ablarc
February 14th, 2007, 06:43 AM
^ Claims like that are libelous if not substantiated by detail.

ZippyTheChimp
February 14th, 2007, 07:37 AM
http://myspace-992.vo.llnwd.net/00893/29/96/893166992_m.jpg http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/images/icons/icon5.gif

BPC
February 15th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Does the times have EVERY shooting,death,stabbing, etc in everydays metro section? Does NY1 tell these things everyday at a certain time? Im just curious. Ill read about someone getting raped on Newsday but not on the times.

Not even close. The Times generally does not report on a murder unless it happens to a white person in Manhattan, or to a black person shot by a cop, or is particularly grisly.

brianac
September 3rd, 2008, 07:36 PM
New York Sun To Close This Fall Unless It Finds New Funding

by John Koblin (http://www.observer.com/john-koblin) | September 3, 2008

http://www.observer.com/files/imagecache/vertical/files/nysun_1.jpg
Media Mob has learned that The New York Sun will be forced to shut down by the end of the month if it doesn't find new ways to fund the paper.

"We're publishing a statement that will say the paper may have to close at the end of September unless we succeed in our efforts to find additional financial backing," said Seth Lipsky, the editor of The New York Sun.

He said the statement will be published in tomorrow's newspaper, and that it will go online this evening.

He added caution: "I would encourage you not to assume that the paper is doomed. Well, read the statement. It fills in more of the details."

http://www.observer.com/2008/media/new-york-sun-could-shutdown-end-september-unless-it-finds-new-funding

© 2008 Observer Media Group,

brianac
September 29th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Future of the Sun Unclear

by John Koblin (http://www.observer.com/john-koblin)
September 29, 2008

http://www.observer.com/files/imagecache/article/files/sunflag.jpg

Is today's the last edition of The New York Sun?

It's a question we posed to the newspaper's spokesman, Michael Moi, last night after rumors intensified once again that the Sept. 29th issue of the newspaper would indeed be the last, and he didn't say.

He wrote: "We appreciate the concern, and when the future of the Sun clarifies, we will let our readers know what it is. And until then, we will have no comment."

A memo reproduced on gawker.com which the Web site reported had been sent to freelance writers by a Sun editor read, in part, "The New York Sun, which launched in 2002, will print its final edition on Monday, Sept. 29."

No indication in the print edition seems to announce the newspaper's demise, though on its home page, the newspaper's Web site (http://www.nysun.com/) lists as a "top story" an amalgamation of the newspaper's previously published coverage of its own troubles over the last month, including a statement in support of the newspaper delivered by Rep. Anthony Weiner on the Capitol floor (http://www.nysun.com/new-york/weiner-no-better-place-for-civic-debate-than/86144/) and the newspaper's own letter to readers (http://www.nysun.com/new-york/the-future-of-the-sun/85129/) of Sept. 5. Stay tuned.

http://www.observer.com/2008/media/future-sun-unclear

© 2008 Observer Media Group

brianac
September 30th, 2008, 05:38 AM
Losing Money, New York Sun Is to Shut Down After 6 Years

By JAMES BARRON (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/b/james_barron/index.html?inline=nyt-per)
Published: September 29, 2008

The New York Sun, the six-year-old newspaper with a conservative mind-set, announced on Monday that it would close after publishing Tuesday’s issue.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/09/30/nyregion/30sun_650.jpgHiroko Masuike for The New York Times
Tuesday’s issue of The New York Sun is its last, the staff was told.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/09/30/nyregion/30sun2_650.jpgPatrick Andrade for The New York Times
Peter Kiefer, a reporter for The Sun, on the last working day for the staff.

A deadline of this month to find new backers failed.

The Sun’s president and editor, Seth Lipsky, said a three-week search for new financial backers had failed. Mr. Lipsky announced on Sept. 4, in a front-page “Letter From the Editor,” that The Sun would shut down by the end of the month unless it raised new money.

Mr. Lipsky told editors and reporters who gathered on Monday afternoon in The Sun’s loftlike newsroom in Lower Manhattan that the shutdown was “a logical decision following a hardheaded assessment of our chances of meeting our goal of profitable publication in the near future.”

As he spoke, the stock market was diving toward the largest one-day point loss in the history of the Dow Jones Industrial Average. “Among other problems that we faced,” he said, “was the fact that this month, not to mention this week, has been one of the worst in a century in which to be trying to raise capital, and in the end we were out not only of money but time.”

But he assured his staff that The Sun was shutting down “in an orderly way,” not filing for bankruptcy protection. He said The Sun would pay employees through November. He said their health insurance would continue through Dec. 31. A spokesman for the newspaper said it had about 110 full-time employees.

Some staff members said they were disappointed but proud of what they had accomplished. “The Sun lit a fire in all of us,” said Amanda L. Gordon, the society editor. “I know firsthand how much our readers will feel the loss of a smart, local, writerly, insightful, encyclopedic paper — these are all adjectives that our readers have used to describe the paper to me as I’ve made the rounds reporting.”

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/b/michael_r_bloomberg/index.html?inline=nyt-per) issued a statement saying he was sorry to see the paper close. “The Sun shone brightly, though too briefly,” the mayor said, calling the paper’s writers “smart, thoughtful, provocative.”

The Sun had a staff a small fraction of the size that New York City papers typically rely on, and some said they worked in a 19th-century building with 19th-century conveniences. They said the paper’s computers and telephones were problem-prone, the fire alarms sometimes sounded for no reason, the elevator stalled regularly and the bathroom plumbing backed up. They said they needed fans on their desks in the summer and space heaters in the winter.

But those problems did not prevent them from chasing their scoops. “I don’t think it’s going to be hard for people to remember the role of this newspaper,” said Elizabeth Green, an education reporter who had worked for The Sun for 16 months. She defined that role as “people committed to having a substantial conversation and holding our leaders accountable.”

Mr. Lipsky and the staff had known through the weekend that the clock was ticking. All day on Sunday, rumors swirled at The Sun. Editors and reporters were told to go in on Monday, but as one put it early Monday morning, “We don’t know if there will be a paper tomorrow.”

In the hours before Mr. Lipsky’s talk, “the conversations I was having with reporters, we were kind of sick of the indeterminate,” said Stephen Miller, the obituaries editor. “It was like: ‘Come on, don’t keep us on edge, we want to get on with our careers. If this thing is going to die, let’s not keep it alive one day at a time.’ ”

Mr. Lipsky, a former Wall Street Journal reporter and editorial writer who in the 1990s started an English-language offshoot of the Yiddish-language newspaper The Daily Forward, began publishing The Sun with $15.9 million he raised from a number of backers.

They included Michael H. Steinhardt (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/s/michael_h_steinhardt/index.html?inline=nyt-per), a former chairman of the Democratic Leadership Council; Roger Hertog, an investment banker who was chairman emeritus of the Manhattan Institute, a conservative policy-research organization; Bruce Kovner, a hedge fund manager; and Thomas J. Tisch, who runs the Four Partners investment fund and is the chancellor of Brown University (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/b/brown_university/index.html?inline=nyt-org).

In announcing the shutdown, Mr. Lipsky said, “Even at the end, they were offering millions of dollars if we could find the partners we needed.”

The Canadian-born newspaper tycoon Conrad M. Black (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/b/conrad_m_black/index.html?inline=nyt-per) was also among The Sun’s original backers. But his company, Hollinger International, sold its stake in The Sun after Mr. Black quit as Hollinger’s chief executive in 2003. Mr. Black was convicted last year on federal fraud charges that did not involve The Sun.

Mr. Miller, the obituaries editor, said that the first issue, on April 16, 2002, featured an interview with Ahmad Chalabi (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/c/ahmad_chalabi/index.html?inline=nyt-per), who at the time was a favorite of neoconservatives and the Bush administration.

“The interesting thing was Chalabi was saying, ‘The U.S. isn’t preparing nearly enough for the postwar situation; there’s going to be chaos if things keep on like this,’ ” Mr. Miller recalled.

Publishing that idea, Mr. Miller said, had “belied the idea that The Sun is a willy-nilly, pro-war bloodthirsty organ, which I think in some quarters became our reputation.”

Colin Moynihan contributed reporting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/30/nyregion/30sun.html?_r=1&ref=nyregion&oref=slogin

Copyright 2008 (http://www.nytimes.com/ref/membercenter/help/copyright.html) The New York Times Company (http://www.nytco.com/)

NYC4Life
October 1st, 2008, 01:29 AM
The Sun has set for one final day.

brianac
November 8th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Urban Studies

Suddenly, Souvenirs

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/11/09/nyregion/09sun.span.jpg Ruby Washington/The New York Times
As a newspaper dies, its mundane trappings are transformed into unexpected mementos.

By CAROLINE H. DWORIN
Published: November 7, 2008

ON the morning of Sept. 30, the final issue of The New York Sun lay neatly stacked atop local newsstands. The next morning, the newspaper was gone for good. Yet The Sun’s presence endures on city streets in the form of a few yellow newspaper boxes that are empty, like the abandoned habitats of an extinct bird.

Even more ubiquitous are the yellow-and-white plastic weights once used to hold down piles of windblown Suns at newsstands. Now, suddenly, they are an artifact of history.

Yet when asked if anybody had inquired about taking home one of the weights as a keepsake, news vendors tended to look blank. A vendor at Columbus Avenue and 81st Street who had seven weights on the racks outside his store shook his head and shrugged.

“Why?” he replied. “It holds down paper.”

The newspaper commemorated by these items had a brief but noteworthy run. Taking the name of the first penny press newspaper, which ran from 1833 to 1950, the new incarnation of the publication arrived in the spring of 2002. While its paid circulation was modest (about 14,000), The Sun ran for six and a half years before dying in the crosshairs of newspaper layoffs and widespread economic panic.

“Many people ask about it, so many people,” said Youssif Ali, a cashier at a newsstand on Broadway near 77th Street. The weights were still visible outside, holding down the flapping pages of competitors. But collectors are not to be found.

“No,” Mr. Ali said, “no one asks about the paperweights.”

Perhaps those who will notice the weights the longest and watch mournfully as they disappear are the paper’s former staff members. A few weeks ago, while walking in the Flatiron district, Jacob Gershman, The Sun’s Albany reporter, found himself standing on line at a newsstand, a worn weight in his hand.

“You see these around, and you want to pick something up before it all goes away,” he said. “How quickly does an institution like The Sun recede in people’s memories?”

Mr. Gershman knows of at least one colleague who is trying to acquire one of the paper’s news boxes. “But a paperweight is second best,” he said. “Our circulation wasn’t that high, but as far as paperweights, we were overrepresented. We just gave them out, like pennies.”

When he asked the vendor if he could keep one of the weights, he was rewarded with a funny look and told no. It took a little begging to prevail.

He explained that he used to work for the paper, that it was a souvenir.

Finally, the vendor relented. Mr. Gershman thanked him and scurried off.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/09/nyregion/thecity/09sun.html?ref=thecity

Copyright 2008 (http://www.nytimes.com/ref/membercenter/help/copyright.html) The New York Times Company (http://www.nytco.com/)

brianac
March 26th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Brooklyn Up Close

A Scrappy Local Paper Ponders Its New Parent

By GREGORY BEYER
Published: March 20, 2009

THIS is not an obituary. The Brooklyn Paper (http://www.brooklynpaper.com/) lives.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/03/22/nyregion/22murd.large.jpgTony Cenicola/The New York Times
“This is a crazy turn of events,” one columnist of The Brooklyn Paper wrote on her blog.

Since 1978, it has been a “loud, offbeat and somewhat irreverent” voice in the borough, in the words of its founder and publisher, Ed Weintrob. The paper did, however, undergo something of a transformation this month when it was purchased by Rupert Murdoch (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/m/rupert_murdoch/index.html?inline=nyt-per)’s News Corporation (http://www.newscorp.com/operations/newspapers.html).

Just what this will mean for the paper, which has a circulation of 44,500, is unclear.

“This is a crazy turn of events and one that leaves many of us feeling slightly (slightly?) uncomfortable,” Louise Crawford, a columnist for the newspaper, wrote on her blog, Only the Blog Knows Brooklyn.

The News Corporation owns the rival Courier-Life Publications (http://www.yournabe.com/), and some of the chain’s dozen papers report on the same brownstone neighborhoods that The Brooklyn Paper covers. The Murdoch purchase is the most recent example of the corporation’s effort to expand coverage of the boroughs outside Manhattan; the News Corporation also bought papers in Queens and the Bronx, as well as Courier-Life in Brooklyn, in 2006 and 2007.

Yet brownstone Brooklyn is not known for being particularly hospitable to Mr. Murdoch’s brand of conservative journalism.

“I think the fact that Mr. Murdoch bought these papers tells us something about the direction news may be going in,” said Assemblyman Joseph Lentol, whose district includes Williamsburg, Greenpoint and Fort Greene.

A News Corporation spokesman confirmed the purchase but declined to say more.

The absorption of an independent, family-run newspaper with 10 employees into a global media conglomerate seems like a drastic shift in parentage. But Gersh Kuntzman, The Brooklyn Paper’s editor and a former New York Post columnist, said he did not expect the Brooklyn newspaper’s style or content to change.

“The Brooklyn Paper’s always had a very independent feel, and we’ve been told to continue that feel,” said Mr. Kuntzman, whose paper is peppered with playful headlines with exclamation points. “We’re a scrappy paper.

We always have been; we always will be.”

Some media-vigilant Brooklynites are skeptical. For example, while The Brooklyn Paper has been generally critical of the controversial Atlantic Yards (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/a/atlantic_yards_brooklyn/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier) development project, other News Corporation publications, such as The New York Post, have supported it.

“I’m going to go out on a limb here and predict that The Brooklyn Paper’s news coverage of Atlantic Yards will diminish somewhat (as it already has), and its editorial criticism will diminish even more,” wrote Norman Oder, a critic of the development, on his blog Atlantic Yards Report (http://atlanticyardsreport.blogspot.com/).

The paper’s employees will leave their Dumbo office and join Courier-Life in an office in Downtown Brooklyn that is owned, as Mr. Oder noted, by the Atlantic Yards’ developer, Forest City Ratner Companies.

Some skeptics have also suggested that the purchase may signal a move toward consolidation, noting that The Greenpoint Courier, a Courier-Life Paper, published its final issue last week, soon after The Brooklyn Paper, which covers Greenpoint, was bought.

“Whether they’ll eventually merge the papers, they’re not saying,” said Aaron Short, who worked as a reporter for The Greenpoint Courier until he said he was fired on March 13. “It just doesn’t make sense to have two sets of advertisers and two sets of reporters who cover the same area.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/22/nyregion/thecity/22murd.html?ref=thecity

Copyright 2009 (http://www.nytimes.com/ref/membercenter/help/copyright.html) The New York Times Company (http://www.nytco.com/)

Bronxbombers
March 26th, 2009, 02:54 PM
I used to subscribe to the New York Times. I buy the New York Times. I read the New York Daily News,the New York Post and Newsday on the internet. Today I will buy the New York Times in Los Angeles.

brianac
May 16th, 2009, 07:32 AM
New York Times Considers Two Plans to Charge for Content on the Web (http://www.observer.com/2009/media/new-york-times-considering-two-plans-charge-content-web)

By John Koblin (http://www.observer.com/author/john-koblin/)
May 15, 2009 | 6:36 a.m.

By the end of June, The New York Times will come to a decision on how to charge for some of its content on the Web, The Observer has learned.

Executive editor Bill Keller said at a meeting with staff on Wednesday that two proposals are being strongly considered.

One includes a "meter system," in which the reader can roam freely on the Web site until hitting a predetermined limit of word-count or pageviews, after which a meter will start running and the reader is charged for movement on the site thereafter. He warned staff at the meeting that this pay model would be "tricky." If the word-count limit or page-view limit is set too low, it could chase readers off, compromising traffic and advertising revenue. He said the site presently makes "a lot, a lot of money" from digital advertising—though he wouldn't specify how much—and that executives at the paper believe it is "substantially more" than The Wall Street Journal currently makes on a subscription-based pay model. On the other hand, he said, set these bars too high and there will be little improvement in revenue.

Mr. Keller described the second proposal as a "membership" system. In this model, readers pledge money to the site and are invited into a "New York Times community." You write a check, you get a baseball cap or a T-shirt (if it's like Channel Thirteen, a tote bag!), an invite to a Times event, or perhaps, like The Economist, access to specialized content on the Web.

He said he wouldn't even be opposed to offering a donor access to a Page One editorial meeting as long as it doesn't affect the paper competitively.
He said that the masthead and executives hope to reach a decision by the end of June, but after a decision is reached it would then take weeks, perhaps even months, to develop the software to make either of these systems possible. He said that it is possible that a pay model may be applied to The Times' mobile Web site first before the Web site as a whole. He also warned staffers at the internal meeting—the semi-annual newsroom meeting he hosts, informally titled "Throw Stuff at Bill"—that this was an "update" on where the paper is leaning and that no firm decisions have been made.

Either way, the clock is ticking.

As Mr. Keller said at the meeting, during these times "you ask people to make sacrifices on pay, you consolidate sections, you sell your building and take out some loans, you sell ads on A-1, you raise the price of the newspaper."

At the same meeting on Wednesday, Scott Heekin-Canedy, the general manager of the New York Times Company, said that the forecasts for the second quarter are looking roughly the same as the company's dismal results in the first quarter. In the first quarter, the New York Times Company lost $74.5 million.

http://www.observer.com/2009/media/new-york-times-considering-two-plans-charge-content-web

Copyright The New York Observer.

TonyO
May 16th, 2009, 07:58 AM
The Times just rescinded their Times Select paid-membership option last year. Now they are going to re-do it?

With all the shake-up in newspapers across the country you would think that the Times would benefit from more readership with the lack of content around. It's not "localized" for other cities outside the metro area but you would figure someone who wants the news in paper form would subscribe.

stache
May 16th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I used to look at the International Herald Tribune every day until they blended it in with the NY Times, calling it the 'international version'. Now I get my international news from BBC.

Bronxbombers
May 16th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I buy The New York Times at different Starbucks Coffee locations in Los Angeles,CA. And I buy The New York Times at different 7 eleven store locations in Los Angeles,CA.

brianac
February 23rd, 2010, 03:55 AM
Times, HuffPo Expand Unpaid Workforce (http://www.observer.com/2010/media/times-local)

By Molly Fischer (http://www.observer.com/author/molly-fischer/)
February 22, 2010 | 7:35 p.m

http://www.observer.com/files/full/NYTimesBuilding1Hjpg_6_3-1_0_0.jpg (http://www.observer.com/files/full/NYTimesBuilding1Hjpg_6_3-1_0_0.jpg)

Having just bought out (http://www.observer.com/2009/media/times-buyout-package-reveals-more-expected) a hundred paid reporters, The Times continues to grow its burgeoning army of unpaid assistance. The paper announced today that--in addition to the non-profit help it already gets in Chicago (http://www.observer.com/2009/daily-transom/sun-times-congratulates-itself-times-and-tribune-fight), the Bay Area (http://www.observer.com/2010/daily-transom/times-western-adventure-encouraging) and Brooklyn (http://fort-greene.thelocal.nytimes.com/)--it's now enlisted the journalism students of N.Y.U. (http://journalism.nyu.edu/) to help produce a new Times blog called The Local East Village.

"We want to continue to expand our network of collaborations, in the New York area and across the country, through associations with individuals, companies and institutions that share our values - foremost, increasing the volume and scope of quality journalism about issues that matter," as Jim Schachter, the digital iniatives editor at the Times, put it in a press release this afternoon (http://journalism.nyu.edu/lev/).

N.Y.U. will apparently help coordinate the content--much of which will come from a class, appropriately titled "The Hyperlocal Newsroom"--with Mary Ann Giordano, a deputy Metropolitan editor.

The director of N.Y.U.'s journalism insitute, Brooke Kroeger, said the school will bring, in addition to its new, state-of-the-art facilities in the East Village, an "ever-replenishing pool of student and faculty talent backed by the vast research resources of a distinguished university."

Elsewhere in uncompensated journalism, The Huffington Post launched its college vertical (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/college/) today, complete with a call for free labor (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/adam-clark-estes/college-reporting-team_b_471091.html). While a Craigslist post late last year suggested that interns involved in the site would be paid (http://www.observer.com/2009/daily-transom/huffpo-seeks-grads-who-love-verticals), it sounds like all student contributors won't be so lucky.

Explained HuffPo citizen journalism editor Adam Clark Estes in an email:

We do have a small budget to set student journalists up with equipment and to cover costs, but they won't be paid on a traditional story-by-story basis. As with the rest of the citizen journalists at Huffington Post, we expect that the by-line and exposure offered by our millions of readers will be the best way to give credit.
Despite this, he added that he was "a big fan of paying student journalists" and was looking into ways to make it happen.
This is probably a good plan. Among the inaugural articles posted on the vertical: an op-ed from NYU's Washington Square News, with the headline "Internships The New Form Of Slavery (http://nyunews.com/opinion/2010/02/16/17epstein/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:%20nyunews%20%28nyunews.com%20-%20Washington%20Square%20News%29)."

Copyright The New York Observer.