PDA

View Full Version : New Yorkers' opinions of Philadelphia

alex ballard
December 8th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Since there's a thread in this forum about your opinions on Boston, why not another east coast brother? Philly!

Gulcrapek
December 8th, 2004, 05:23 PM
I like it. I've only been there twice, but Center City and the surrounding areas felt really nice. I especially liked all the fountains.

I've also driven through some of the crappy neighborhoods, but every city has them. A gold sticker for Philly.

NoyokA
December 8th, 2004, 07:27 PM
My friend lives in Philly, she lives in the St. James, great view!

North Philly makes the South Bronx look like a nice cozy place to live.

Philly has the best Italian food I have ever had.

South Street is gimmicky but there's plenty of "real" neighborhoods chock full of character.

scraperfan04
December 8th, 2004, 07:52 PM
I have been reading more about Philly these days.
I like Center City Philly. It is similar to Boston in architecture. Unfortunately, Philly has been going down hill economically, with businesses leaving and neighborhoods turning, due to poor city planning and industries coming to a halt. But things have been on the move for improvement with new city and government officials. It could be the next boom town on the east coast. Philly was once probably the most important city in the USA. The foundations of a great city are still there, and it is ranked in Forbes as one of the top 10 places for singles. I certainly hope and do not think it will become the next Detroit or Newark. Prices are very low now, so it may be an unrealized fortune. At least that is what I hope.
I used to not like philly, but now I'm routing for Philly. I'm hungy for a cheesesteak. Go Eagles...

NYatKNIGHT
December 9th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Boo Eagles! and all their fans (including my traitorous sister and family). But I do like the city, typically northeastern and chock full of Americana. Too bad the highway cuts off their waterfront.

londonlawyer
December 16th, 2004, 10:45 PM
I really like Philly. Society Hill is one of the best areas in the US. Also, people from Philly are similar to New Yorkers, and therefore, I like them.

NewYorkYankee
December 17th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Lol, I liked that last statement London!

londonlawyer
December 17th, 2004, 04:03 PM
You seem like a good guy! Are you moving here?

NoyokA
December 17th, 2004, 04:07 PM
I believe ILUVNYC is a girl, named Maria. :D

londonlawyer
December 17th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Are you a chick? If so, I want to meet you when you're in NY. I love southern chicks.

NewYorkYankee
December 17th, 2004, 10:18 PM
Stern are you serious? No, Im a guy. Yes, I do plan on moving there. I am the future finance college student, remember?

NoyokA
December 17th, 2004, 11:32 PM
My bad. :oops:

NewYorkYankee
December 18th, 2004, 12:02 AM
What made you assume I was female Stern? (Just curious)

londonlawyer
December 18th, 2004, 12:03 AM
Stern are you serious? No, Im a guy. Yes, I do plan on moving there. I am the future finance college student, remember?

That's right; aren't you the guy with the college essay for Pace? You seem like a good guy, but I got my hopes up for meeting an 18 y.o. blonde chick from Tennessee with a southern belle accent!

Anyway, welcome to NY! When do you arrive?

NewYorkYankee
December 18th, 2004, 12:10 AM
Sorry to disappoint you London. Im planning on arriving Fall 2005 when I enter my freshmen year at Pace. Im still waiting for my letter. Im an early decision applicant so it should be any day.

londonlawyer
December 18th, 2004, 07:29 AM
Que sera! Good luck with the letter. It will make a nice Christmas gift!

NewYorkYankee
December 18th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Yes, I'm excited.

NoyokA
December 18th, 2004, 05:57 PM
What made you assume I was female Stern? (Just curious)

I misread your post on Ratner's Beekman Street Tower thread.

And there's Marias's Tower :D :D

I guess Marias is your last name?

ZippyTheChimp
December 18th, 2004, 08:16 PM
Pssssst.

Name of the building.

TLOZ Link5
December 18th, 2004, 11:02 PM
Oooookay...back to the topic.

I've heard some nice things about Philly. It has everything it needs to be a first-tier city: good neighborhoods, low cost of living, a resurgent downtown, plenty of cultural institutions. Crime is nowhere near as bad as it used to be, and I think its population actually increased last year after a major downturn.

Two things that I dislike about Philly:

1. Huge second-city mentality towards New York, almost as bad as Chicago.
2. Eagles fans.

NewYorkYankee
December 19th, 2004, 12:30 AM
LMAO @ Stern! LOL, yes Marias Tower is the 18 story dorm building for Pace. LOL Dont worry about it. :wink:

NewYorkYankee
December 19th, 2004, 12:32 AM
BTW Tloz, why do Phillie and Chi town have such a secong city mentality, hate for NY? Becuase NY is the greatest, thats why!

NoyokA
December 19th, 2004, 12:49 AM
Not familiar with Pace. :oops:

To avoid further embarrassment and exposures, I, ala Kerik resign my moderating capabilities. :lol:

NewYorkYankee
December 19th, 2004, 12:52 AM
Dont worry, BTW, may I ask where in NY you are from Stern?

NoyokA
December 19th, 2004, 01:00 AM
College Point, Queens.

ZippyTheChimp
December 19th, 2004, 10:00 AM
BTW Tloz, why do Phillie and Chi town have such a secong city mentality, hate for NY? Becuase NY is the greatest, thats why!
The Chicago mentality is more apparent, since it was the Second City (one of its nicknames) in population to New York - only in recent times having been taken over by LA. New York and Chicago competed, not only as skyscraper capitals, but commercial and transportation hubs - maritme for New York and railroad for Chicago.

The issue for Philadelphia may be proximity, but there is a historic aspect - just further back and more
obscure.

Philadelphia was founded in 1682, and laid out according to a plan by William Penn. It was a model city with broad streets in a rectangular grid - unlike the other developing cities of Boston and New York.

Although founded decades later, Philadelphia quickly outgrew both Boston and New York, and for much of the 18th century, was the largest English city after London. It was the most important city in the colonies until after the Revolution.

New York would soon exploit its geographic advantage - and explode in development.

alex ballard
December 31st, 2004, 06:34 PM
Does anyone got ideas on how to make Philly come back like NYC did?

December 31st, 2004, 11:17 PM
Does anyone got ideas on how to make Philly come back like NYC did?

Like, how to make Philadelphia grow larger than NYC? Hard to imagine.

I guess the United States could declare Philly a special economic zone and lower all tax rates to zero. (Zero also being the likelihood this idea would pass in Congress.) That could give it a big lift over a few decades ...

Phil Doc
February 10th, 2005, 12:03 PM
From a post on phillyblog.com forums:

But seriously, Philly's a great place. The problem is that a lot of people here don't realize it, or are possibly just barely on the cusp of beginning to realize it. We're smack dab in the middle of NY and DC, therefore we feel like the homely stepchild - you know, the one that doesn't have the super intelligence or the dazzling beauty, but boy are we steady and practical. Particularly being so close to NY, the greatest city (arguably) in the world, doesn't do much for one's psyche. Boston is in many ways very similar to Philly, but from what I can tell, is generally thought of as being nicer, more sophisticated, wealthier, etc. So you can see what that's about. Pittsburgh - I've never been there and don't really care to. I'm sure it's very nice

some insight into how philadelphia residents may feel about themselves and their city.

Ninja Mantis
April 8th, 2005, 02:15 AM
Philly is a lot like downtown Manhattan. Hell, I suspect the same architechs designed the buildings in both cities business districts.

THe streets are too narrow in Philly though. But it was the first time I drank Yeungling beer. It was good...then I bought a 12 pack when I got back to Brooklyn and you know what....the charm wore off real quick.

One notable thing about Philly...the service in the good resturants is SUPERB. Far better than NYC...with waiters who, too often, act like they're doing you a favor.

harriet1954
January 15th, 2006, 04:55 PM
As someone who was born and raised there, all I can say is go to Philly and check out the non-touristy restaurants. You can go to the Liberty Bell all you want, just please, please don't waste your time going to Pat's or Geno's for your cheesesteak. They're traps and I don't go to either one. I usually eat at Reading Terminal Market, which is a destination in itself, when I'm there for the day.

My daughter says to me the other day, "Mom, I want to move to Philly when I get out of high school! I love it!" OK...it's actually cheaper to live there (NOT downtown, though) than it is here in Jersey.

Personally I'd rather move to someplace where there's no snow or ice (just look at it outside!).

Oh I wanted to add that to me, having also lived in California for 3 years, there is still a definite sense of neighborhood in Philadelphia. Not like where I live...

stache
January 15th, 2006, 05:44 PM
It's the most similar city compared to NYC so it can't be all bad - ; ]