PDA

View Full Version : Music -- Observations Rants Raves ETC

Bob
December 31st, 2004, 12:08 AM
Let's get this party (topic) started! Such as these comments, for openers:

1. George Harrison's "Wah Wah" (from the 1970 release, All Things Must Pass) is perhaps the most astounding example of Phil Spector's "Wall of Sound" production technique. Deserves to be played at 11.

2. Speaking of music that should be played at 11, the Beatles' Helter Skelter comes to mind.

3. "Big bottom drive me outta my mind, how could I leave this behind?" Only the world's loudest band could have written amazing lyrics such as this!

4. Elton John's CD, Tumbleweed Connection, is one of the finest recordings EVER. Ya gotta love those incredible Paul Buckmaster arrangements.

5. Neil Young's "Let's Roll" is a truly great song that should have never had to be written.

6. Joseph Schwantner's "New Morning for the World" should be required listening for every human being.

7. Mark Isham's CD, "Tibet," actually takes you there. Turn off the lights and play this gem.

8. Renaissance. October Project. Enough said.

9. The Caravan show at BB King's (on 42nd) a few months ago was terrific!

10. Swing Out Sister's "Forever Blue," arranged by Jimmy Webb, is a pop masterpiece.

Bob
January 4th, 2005, 10:12 PM
A few more observations, just for the heck of it:

* ZZ Top's "Sharp Dressed Man" features some outstanding drumming, particularly the fills.

** Bruce Hornsby puts on a great show. Not only is Bruce a brilliant musician, but he's friendly! Way cool.

*** One of the biggest losses in the music world to AIDS was that of Ricky Wilson of the B-52s. Best wishes to him in his own Private Idaho.

**** DEVO. So much more than just "Whip It." Genius that still hasn't been discovered!

***** Bob Welch. Terrific in early Fleetwood Mac. Terrific musician and songwriter on his own. Neat website.

And -- last but not least: perhaps the greatest song ever recorded, ladies & gentlemen:

LOW SPARK OF HIGH HEELED BOYS -- TRAFFIC

Bob
February 3rd, 2005, 07:18 PM
(oh no) Here I go again:

1. Sylvester ("Sly") Stone. Was this guy a musical genius, or what? Wouldn't it be great if somebody could find this guy, and hook him up with Prince and/or George Clinton?

2. New (2004) Zombies CD, "As Far as I Can See." Clunker CD, but the title track is just astonishing and makes this a must-purchase.

3. Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66. I would love to see an attempt at recreating that late 1960's sound. Has any group come close to capturing it?