PDA

View Full Version : Harlem Guide

samwY
January 12th, 2005, 05:30 AM
I am curious as to what parts of Harlem are very safe and warm feeling, if any. And what parts to avoid, especially at night.

There is a West, Central, and East Harlem. That is all I know.

I will be moving to 300 West 135th Street which is right between West and Central Harlem. I want to know as much as possible about every good and bad thing about Harlem.

Please help. Thanks.

thomasjfletcher
January 12th, 2005, 10:01 AM
This gives you a good idea of part of it-

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/mxb/textmain.html

Michi
January 12th, 2005, 10:01 AM
I would like anyone make this guide too.
I will stay at 94th and i'm interesting in the nightlife in this zone and Harlem.
Bye..

Schadenfrau
January 12th, 2005, 12:12 PM
The Time Out guide to NYC tells a bit about each neighborhood.

Marty
January 13th, 2005, 08:14 AM
HUmmmmmmmmmm quite interesting post although have you researched the area you are moving into?

Harlem in general has been struck by crime, decay and violence for the most part of 60 years. The 70’s to the early 90’s Harlem hit bottom. Over the past 12-15 years real estate value and land costs have skyrocketed as the rest of Manhattan! An influx of money into the area, reinventing and renovating abandoned tenements and brownstones has helped! High profile names like former President Bill Clinton moving onto 125th has helped gentrify not only the neighborhood but Harlem’s image.

That being said
The Western part around Columbia University is quite nice and safe. Very picturesque as well up top the hill
As you get down from there it starts getting sketchy, IE: 119th and Manhattan is quite ugly! 3 of 4 corners on that block are weeds, vacant lots and abandoned buildings. The last time I was there in September, I saw construction crews in the area. Maybe new housing was going up, if someone can confirm pls! The heart of Harlem is quite tough! 110th all the way up to 150th In the 70’s this was the hardest hit by arson urban blight and decay! Today many abandoned buildings remain althought the violence has subsided with the odd altercation here and there.

Spanish Harlem on the Eastern part of the Island from 94th up to 125th is quite rough. Still pretty violent in terms of today’s crime! Many housing projects along this strip at night very sketchy!

I drove around 145th and Badhurst last fall to find it quite run down! Many renovating crews on hand restoring old tenements and apartment buildings! Gentrifications goes on all over Harlem so it’s quite the place to look, I hope this helps. It’s based on what I’ve read, researched and seen from my own experience. Good luck!

M./

Michi
January 13th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Oh... Spanish Harlem.. I already love it!! Are there a lot of spanish people there? and Pubs, restaurants and shops? Hope find some tipical spanish things there cause I¡ll miss them a lot of!!!
Bye

billyblancoNYC
January 13th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Oh... Spanish Harlem.. I already love it!! Are there a lot of spanish people there? and Pubs, restaurants and shops? Hope find some tipical spanish things there cause I¡ll miss them a lot of!!!
Bye

Not Spanish, but spanish (as in Latino or Hispanic). Puerto Ricans rule here, but there are incresing numbers of Mexicans. Also, this area is slowly being gentrified as an "extension" of the Upper Easst Side.

Unfortunately, NYC doesn't have a "Little Madrid" where Spanish culture is concentrated in one area...it's spread out across the city. You could start the trend, perhaps...you and a few thousand of your closest friends can come on over!

fioco
January 13th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Michi,
Here are some local resources for you. No doubt these folks will know the best tapas, restaurants, music and entertainment in the New York region.

The Hispanic Society / La Sociedad Hispánica de América (http://www.hispanicsociety.org)
A free museum and reference library dedicated to study of the arts and cultures of Spain, Portugal, and Latin America.

Cervantes Institute / Instituto Cervantes (http://www.nyork.cervantes.es)
A worldwide non-profit organization created by the Spanish government to promote the teaching, study and use of the Spanish language and to contribute to the advancement of the Spanish and Hispanic American cultures in non-Spanish speaking countries.

Michi
January 13th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Lol... SpaNYs ..I'm imagine it!! Maybe after this summer my friend and me change our residence and will go there to "make" the SpaNYs .. seru it be so good... here in spais we know how to live, specially where I live than we have a great "cook" and a fantastics "lands" (beachs, cities, small beautiful towns, mountains, sidra, mucha fiesta and thousand more interesting and good things).
I know about a Centro Asturiano (Asturias is the "region" where I live).
Its adrees is: 1.150 Península Boulevard Ny 11557-1125 .. I think it's in Brooklyn But I don't know exactly where is it and how arrive there.
Bye

fioco
January 13th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Of course, I should also include

El Museo de barrio (http://www.elmuseo.org)
1230 Fifth Avenue at 104th Street
Dedicated to the art of Puerto Rico, the Caribbean and Latin America.

(since you'll be in the neighborhood.)

Michi
January 13th, 2005, 03:28 PM
What I need is a school where learn english
I think I will go to ACLL (close to Penn Station) or Zoni (next to ESB).
Can someone talk me about those or other schools? Thanks

fioco
January 13th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Michi, I don't want to hijack this thread -- Harlem Guide -- so let me talk with a friend and I'll send you a PM. An insider's guide to Harlem would be fabulous.

samwY
January 15th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Bump. More info!
If you've been in Harlem please contribute.

Schadenfrau
January 18th, 2005, 01:34 PM
I think most people have been to Harlem. What, specifically, would you like to know?