PDA

View Full Version : Places I should not miss outside Manhattan?

Jimi_thing
January 28th, 2005, 05:58 PM
I will visit for the first time the City, 7 days in May, I am reading ALL I can about NYC, surf the net, watch hte movies... and I know my main interest will be Manhattan...

But what are other places/things/attractions I really should see/experience?

I can think about The Bronx Zoo ( interesting!), Brooklyn Botanical Garden (mmm... don't know...), A Gospel Church in Harlem (by the way, is it only on sundays??), a Yankees game ( I am not a baseball fan at all actually, but it sounds like a great event for New Yorkers)....

What else?

And what are your feelings about 2 grown up white men (about 6 feet tall and 160 pounds) that roam around neighborhood like Harlem The Bronx and Brooklyn during the day? :oops:

Thanks again.

BronxBoy
January 28th, 2005, 07:31 PM
If you go to the Bronx Zoo, defenitely stop by the New York Botanical Gardens next door. It's absolutely beautiful and a must see.

scraperfan04
January 28th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Skip the bronx exept for the Bronx Zoo or Botanical Garden if those interest you.

Brooklyn Heights area is very nice. Lot's of fabulous brownstones. You can get great views of Manhattan from the Brooklyn Heights Promenade. Grimaldi's Pizza, New York's Best Pizza, is in Brookln Heights. If you like walking, you might want to check walk across the Brooklyn Bridge.

If your interested in seeing the African American Culture in NYC, you should check out 125th street in Harlem, the most famous drags in NYC for the African American Community. Sylvia's Soul Food Restaraurant with Live Jazz is a great and historical place to eat in that area.

Bob
January 28th, 2005, 10:02 PM
Definitely check out 125th Street...walk its full length, stop in some of the unique stores, do some people watching, check out the variety of architecture, check out a restaurant or two. I did this with a friend two years ago, and it was a great experience. It's not the 1970s anymore, so now -- if you'll excuse the quaint expression -- you can REALLY "dig it."

Marty
January 29th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Take the subway down to Coney Island the F train from Manhattan. You will go through some incredible neighbourhoods in a safe manner and will ride both above and below ground. There is something magical about that loop just as you get into Brighton Beach and get to see the Ocean and the Wonder wheel. A little eerie this time of year, but it will leave an impression. About 40 mins from Manhattan!

The “J” train will take you across to Williams burgh and Bed-Stuy. 2 neighbourhoods hit hard by the 1977 riots and still quite rundown. You will NOT encounter any problems we are in 2005 not 1975! This is the best way to see these neighbourhoods. You can get off at any station and walk under the el “J” line on Broadway. This was the line hit by the riots back there! Many new buildings going up today!

The”L” ;ine will ride you through East NEW York Brooklyn. At the height of the crack epidemic this neighbourhood was nicknamed “The Killing Fields” 110 murders in 1993 in the 75. Today still the highest in the city but at about 35-40 a year.
Livonia Ave Pennsylvania are places to see but that is about it.

In the South Bronx, if you are old enough, you would remember where President Carter and Regean stood amid the Berlin like rubble in 1977 and 1980. Today Charlotte street is like Jersey with ranch style houses and picket fences. Does not look like the Bronx at all except fro the steel bars on the windows, which is a quick reminder of where you are standing when you look at these houses. Enjoy Southern Blvd allot of flair to it a cool way to see the area by walking it also the HUB 3rd and 149th street. Yankee stadium as wel!. Great view of the city from that platform!

BTW, if this is your first time, plan like a military assault as to what you want to see, there is simply too much not enough time and this city is way tooooo big to do it all in one shot. Plan my friend.

Late!!!

londonlawyer
January 29th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Brooklyn Heights and Prospect Park in Broklyn are magnificent!

Schadenfrau
January 31st, 2005, 12:25 PM
The Bronx Zoo is wonderful, probably the best I've seen in the country. You'd also enjoy walking over the Brooklyn Bridge.

I do have to ask: where do people get the impression that it's unsafe for white people to walk through Harlem and the Bronx? Is it based on someone's personal experience or movies from the 1970s?

NewYorkYankee
January 31st, 2005, 02:00 PM
Movies and stereotypes.

Jimi_thing
January 31st, 2005, 02:52 PM
I do have to ask: where do people get the impression that it's unsafe for white people to walk through Harlem and the Bronx? Is it based on someone's personal experience or movies from the 1970s?

I've never been there and I understand NYC has greatly improved since the 70's and became one of the safest cities in the U.S. according to authorities.

It's not a matter of skin's colour, I just wanted to make it clear that I am white (unfortunately :-)); according to the guides and the experiences of tourists on the web that I read The Bronx and Harlem MIGHT BE more dangerous than other parts of the City.

Glad to heart that it isnt true, and that I can behave in those areas like I would in Downtown Manhattan!

ASchwarz
January 31st, 2005, 02:57 PM
Harlem nowadays is as safe as anywhere else in Manhattan. The Bronx is also pretty safe. You would have no problems in the Bronx during daylight hours, even in more intimidating sections of the South Bronx. Evenings you should stick to major commerical streets in the South Bronx. The North and East Bronx are safe at any hour. If you like art deco, the Grand Concourse in the Bronx is a magnificent street.

Jimi_thing
January 31st, 2005, 03:11 PM
BTW, if this is your first time, plan like a military assault as to what you want to see, there is simply too much not enough time and this city is way tooooo big to do it all in one shot. Plan my friend.

Ok I' ll try!!! I hope that 7 days will allow me to get to know more than a little of the City, a piece every day with no rush... I'll skip the Statue of Liberty (but I'll take the free Staten Island Ferry); A show on Broadway (suggestions on good off Broadway welcomed!), of course the Empire State Building (more than once, maybe??), a lot of walking and people watching (I'll try to use my english, that is very poor since I barely ever speak it), a lot of eating things I never happen to taste (what about Carts on the sidewalks too?), explore Central Park with a bike, maybe try those Baseball machine (never in my life I've held a bat in my hands... won't be too difficult I hope)... and a thousand things more... :-)

Marty
February 1st, 2005, 10:14 PM
Jimmy here is what I suggest pending where you are staying.

Day 1
Lower Manhattan including Ground Zero battery park, Canal street, Chinatown, for lunch, little Italy for supper. Just the walking or subway in this area you will be tired and will take up most of the day.

Day 2
Midtown, Times Square, Broadway play, 5th ave, empire state building, late show with letterman, Rockefeller plaza, NBC studios, the UN. Again allot of walking.

Day 3
Uptown and the Bronx!
This is mostly walking and subway rides. Very scenic once you get above ground in the SB. It’s one of the most contrasting and intense urban landscape you will ever see, and something to see by subway. One of my favourite thing s to do. Manhattan, you can do central park in this ride, Harlem. Above Harlem like 150th street, it’s mostly residential getting into Washington heights and Inwood. Honestly this is tough neighbourhood with a strong drug presence. At night it gets sketchy on the streets. Head over to the South Bronx by subway, visit Yankee Stadium, the Zoo walk under the El on Southern Blvd and come back to the Hub some good chopping deals 149th street and 3rd ave.

Day 4
Brooklyn,
Take the F train from Manhattan all the way to Coney Island! Great way to see the borough of Brooklyn once above ground! It comes out at Church ave. anyone??? All they way down to Brighton Beach! The Wonder wheel the boardwalk the NYC Wildlife Aquarium to see! Come back up and visit the transit museum in Brooklyn South. Check out Prospect Park. Hope on the “J”line head on down to Broadway in bed Stuy, some great food and shopping along this strip.

Day 5
Queens.
Take the 7 train, Shea Stadium Flushing Arthur Ash stadium. If your are interested in graffiti, there is a great place called the 5 points Hunter point subway stop on the 7 line. This warehouse has been turned into a graffiti museum. You can see it from the el tracks but you can also walk around, something to see! I have not done Queens as much so if someone can point out spots pls do so.

For now this is an idea and my opinion of how you could save time energy and make the most of your stay in NYC. It truly is a magical place and will take you in. Hope this helps, Take sometime to enjoy and a last day to relax a little once you get back home, you will be tired.

Late

Jimi_thing
February 2nd, 2005, 12:42 PM
Wow!! Thanks Marty for your detailed schedule!!!

Actually I find it very interesting that the Subway gets above the ground in some part of their tracks... so it is the F train to Coney Island, right? Ok I'll take note of that!

I am not afraid of walking A LOT, provided that I can choose to sit down and relax al ittle bit anytime I need to... I guess in NYC that wouldn't be a problem, right?... and yes, I expect to be very very tired when I get back home :-)

How are the chances to get a ticket for Letterman?

Marty
February 2nd, 2005, 08:13 PM
Here is a secret for Letterman.
They tape at 5:30Pm
For those who have tix, they must show up at 4 pm and stand in line.
I was being stupid in font of the theatre one day at about 1:30-2PM looking inside knocking on the door trying to get in. Some staffers came out and started asking tivia questions to the show. I got tix for that night, they told me to show up at 3:30 before everyone else, to be louder than the rest of the crowd, I got front row tix I was the 1st one in.

Pending his tapping sked, this should be the case for everyshow. They do not want to leave any empty seats.
Food for thought, if you want to get in.