PDA

View Full Version : Attachments

Edward
January 30th, 2005, 02:40 PM
The new forum software makes it possible to post pictures using attachments. This feature is described in the following FAQ item:
http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/faq.php?faq=post#faq_attachments

I have attached some pictures to this post just to show how this works.

What Are Attachments?

You can use the attachment feature of this forum, which gives you the ability to attach files of certain types to your posts. This could be an image, a text document, a zip file etc. There is a limit of 150 Kbytes file size limit for pictures and the largest picture dimension cannot exceed 800 pixels.

To attach a file to a new post, simply click the [Browse] button at the bottom of the post composition page, and locate the file that you want to attach from your local hard drive. There is a limit of 10 files per post. There is also a limit for a total size of all attachments for each user - 10 Mb.

Only certain types of files may be attached: these are the valid file extensions for files to be attached to this forum: bmp gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png txt zip.

After posting, the attachment will show up in the body of your message. To view the contents of the attachment (if it is not already displayed) simply click the filename link that appears next to the attachment icon.

yyy
January 30th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Attachments - finally. This is a great feature.

thomasjfletcher
January 31st, 2005, 09:38 AM
Can you still hotlink?

Derek2k3
February 1st, 2005, 02:14 PM
Great.

Gulcrapek
February 13th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Test

ASchwarz
February 14th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Test

Gul, is that building in Williamsburg?

Gulcrapek
February 14th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Yeah, eventually I'll make a thread on that...

Edward
July 11th, 2005, 04:37 PM
As I mentioned, there is a limit of 150 Kbytes file size limit for pictures and the largest picture dimension cannot exceed 800 pixels. This is quite adequate for displaying pictures on this forum.

The pictures that come out from modern digital cameras are much larger, however. So in order to attach a picture, you have first to resize it on your computer.

Many image editors can do this. For example, you can use Picasa (http://www.google.com/picasa/)image editor and organizer to do that - it is free download from Google.

Ninjahedge
July 12th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Hey Ed, is it possible to make exceptions from people that take a lot of valued photos here.

I know there are one or two that might be given extra space given the quality of the photos they have posted here in the past. (Zippy for one).

Edward
July 12th, 2005, 09:29 AM
The attachment quota for a total size of all attachments is 10 Mb for Junior Members and Members, and 25 Mb for Senior Members.

No user has ever exceeded or approached this limit, so exceptions do not seem necessary.

Alonzo-ny
July 20th, 2005, 08:48 PM
trying it but cant seem to get the picture to be there so you dont have to click on link

Alonzo-ny
July 20th, 2005, 08:50 PM
how can i get the image to appear?

Edward
July 20th, 2005, 10:03 PM
The thumbnail is not created for *.bmp image files, for *.jpeg image files it's created automatically.

lofter1
August 6th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Please excuse the double post ... :o

What happens when you reach your limit for images posted?

When I go to "Manage Attachments" I see on the nice bar graph that I'm reaching ~ 80 - 90% of my limit.

If I try to "clear" some space what happens to images previously posted?

And can I "manage" the way I clear that space to allow for additional image postings?

Thanks ....

Edward
August 8th, 2006, 09:59 PM
In User Control Panel, under Miscellaneous/Attachments, you can select attachments that you wish to delete.

I have doubled the attachments limit for senior users to 50 MB, so you can postpone cleaning for a while :)

lofter1
August 8th, 2006, 11:43 PM
Bless you :)

lofter1
May 15th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Is there a glitch today with "Manage Attachments"?

I'm unable to upload jpegs, even though they are sized properly per requirements.

ZippyTheChimp
May 15th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Have you reached the storage limit?

lofter1
May 15th, 2011, 01:53 PM
No, I'm well below what is shown for my limit.

ZippyTheChimp
May 15th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Tap tap tap.

Waiting for Edward.

Edward
May 16th, 2011, 01:47 PM
There was a limit set for the whole forum, for all attachments. I increased the limit, so there should not be any problems now, at least for a while.

Ninjahedge
May 16th, 2011, 04:00 PM
You mean Lofter is using up all the forums posting space??!?!?

;)

ZippyTheChimp
May 16th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Insatiable.

stache
May 16th, 2011, 08:33 PM
That's the title of lofter's most recent video.

hbcat
May 26th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Mountain view, 2500 meters, central Taiwan 2002 --