PDA

View Full Version : Subway late night

I LOVE THE SOCCER
February 1st, 2005, 01:57 PM
How many cars of the trains 4 or 6 (Lexington Avenue) are filled (seats) in the heart of Manhattan at 3.00 am on weekdays?

NewYorkYankee
February 1st, 2005, 02:28 PM
Ive always wondered as well. Just how many people are on the trains in the early morning?

Schadenfrau
February 1st, 2005, 03:18 PM
Not very many. Maybe a few people per car.

Kolbster
February 1st, 2005, 11:31 PM
Thats the hour you don't want to be on the trains anyways....belieeeeeeeeeve me

I LOVE THE SOCCER
February 2nd, 2005, 10:42 AM
It's true that there are 150-200 persons on the trains (1-2 / 4-6 lines) in midtown Manhattan , even 3.00 am in the weekdays?

FREDDY ADU THE BEST PLAYER OF SOCCER OF THE WORLD

Kolbster
February 2nd, 2005, 11:10 AM
Probably, depending on the night.

Oh yea, Freddy Adu has a llllllllllong way before he becomes the best futbol player....he has nothin on Totti, or Ronaldinho, or Rooney

ASchwarz
February 2nd, 2005, 12:43 PM
Thats the hour you don't want to be on the trains anyways....belieeeeeeeeeve me

Uh, no. The trains are not less safe at night. Despite popular perceptions, crime on NY public transit generally occurs during weekday business hours, rather than at night. Another false stereotype is transit crime by location. Manhattan transit lines have a much higher rate of crime than in the outer boroughs. Even the "bad' neighborhoods in the outer boroughs have lower crime rates than subway lines and stations in Manhattan.

Crime on the subways is down like 90% from 10 years ago. I've seen much more petty crime on RATP (Paris Metro and RER) than in New York.

I LOVE THE SOCCER
February 3rd, 2005, 01:39 PM
Why New York City (the most important city in the world) hasn't a team of soccer? For me the Metrostars are a team of the New Jerse

WINNER GERMANY 2006:USA

NewYorkYankee
February 3rd, 2005, 01:56 PM
They're for BOTH Jersey and NY.

billyblancoNYC
February 3rd, 2005, 04:44 PM
Why New York City (the most important city in the world) hasn't a team of soccer? For me the Metrostars are a team of the New Jerse

WINNER GERMANY 2006:USA

Not sure. It was easier to just play in the Meadowlands at the time. There was some talk of changing Aqueduct racetrack over to a stadium for the Metrostars, which I think would be good, but that went nowhere.

I would say they should move to the West Side if the stadium gets built, which may happen, but they have plans to build their own place in Jersey somewhere.

A soccer (futbol) stadium would do very well in NYC...Latinos and Europeans would love it.

I say put them in with the Jets, build on at Willets Point, convert Aqueduct (shift the races to Belmont if possible), or build on SI, bt the NASCAR site.

I LOVE THE SOCCER
February 6th, 2005, 06:48 PM
What is the line of the subway always crowded late night (even at 4.00 am in a weekday)?

ASchwarz
February 7th, 2005, 02:03 PM
What is the line of the subway always crowded late night (even at 4.00 am in a weekday)?

The most crowded trains are the numbered lines. 4,5,6 and 7 tend to be the most packed. I seriously doubt you will find them standing room only at 4 AM, but there will be plenty of riders at any hour.

fioco
February 7th, 2005, 03:18 PM
For the subways that most tourists would use, I have no doubt that trains would have enough riders for people to feel secure. Plus, many subway stations have overhead signs to help identify the middle cars for late night riders. Even the LIRR commuter trains out to the suburbs can be quite full at 1 to 2 AM. I'll be on a train packed with young teenagers (under 16) on a school night and wonder: Do their parents have any idea where their kids are?

I LOVE THE SOCCER
February 9th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Trinidad Tobago-usa = 1-2
Eddy Johnson (6 Goals In 4 Matchs!!!)
Lewis

I LOVE THE SOCCER
February 11th, 2005, 10:30 PM
Is dangerous to use the 4/6 trains in Midtown Manhattan at 3.00 am in weekdays?

MATCH CLOU IN PREMIER LEAGUE: MANCHESTER CITY- MANCHESTER UNITED!!!

NewYorkYankee
February 11th, 2005, 11:15 PM
No, its not dangerous if you use common sense.

ASchwarz
February 12th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Is dangerous to use the 4/6 trains in Midtown Manhattan at 3.00 am in weekdays?

Of course not. Trains do not magically become dangerous when the sun goes down. Stay in crowded cars if you feel uncomfortable.

I LOVE THE SOCCER
February 13th, 2005, 10:58 PM
Do you often use the subway overnight?

What is the most famous club of soccer in the USA?

ASchwarz
February 13th, 2005, 11:04 PM
Do you often use the subway overnight?

What is the most famous club of soccer in the USA?

I ride lines all the time late at night, never any problems, people are usually tired.

Soccer club? Maybe the NY Metrostars, I don't know. For European teams, I think Americans have only heard of Man U, Arsenal, Bayern, Milan and Real Madrid.

TLOZ Link5
February 14th, 2005, 03:46 PM
I've heard of those, in addition to City and Chelsea. There are some more in the back of my mind, all British, that I keep forgetting.

I LOVE THE SOCCER
February 14th, 2005, 11:37 PM
Maybe Liverpool, Everton, Aston Villa, Tottenham, Newcastle. Aren't popular Juventus, Inter (Adriano,Vieri), Barcelona (Ronaldinho), Ajax, Celtic, PSG, Roma (Totti) also?
What is the most player of soccer in the USA? Is it Beckham, Ronaldo, Rooney, Ronaldinho, Zidane, Totti, Raul, Adu, Shevchenko, Figo, Roberto Carlos, Tevez, or Maldini?
However the club most famous in the world is the MANCHESTER UNITED (74 millions of fans in the whole world)
23 February 2005 : MANCHESTER UNITED - MILAN ( CHAMPIONS LEAGUE ESPN 2)

TLOZ Link5
February 15th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Not to get off-topic...

Beckham and Ronaldo seem to be the best-known soccer players in the U.S. who are still playing professionally. But lots of people are familiar with Péle.

Kris
February 15th, 2005, 09:31 PM
That's enough. If you want to go on discussing soccer, create a topic in Anything Goes.

I LOVE THE SOCCER
February 15th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Excuse me, Kris. But it is the passion for the soccer.
What line is more crowded late night, N or 4?

ASchwarz
February 15th, 2005, 11:07 PM
Excuse me, Kris. But it is the passion for the soccer.
What line is more crowded late night, N or 4?

4 by far.

TLOZ Link5
February 16th, 2005, 06:22 PM
That's enough. If you want to go on discussing soccer, create a topic in Anything Goes.

Sorry, Daddy. We won't do it again. We promise.

(joking)

Anyway, the subways are pretty safe on weekends also, because so many people go out. I've been on the subways at midnight and it's like rush hour.

I LOVE THE SOCCER
February 19th, 2005, 07:41 PM
Is the subway most crowded on the weekends or in the weekdays late night?

TLOZ Link5
February 20th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Weekends.

A bit of extra advice on subway safety: if you think someone's casing you, don't panic. Act natural, particularly when your stop comes up. If you think they're going to follow you, don't get off the train right away when your stop comes. Wait maybe five seconds after the doors open, then get off the train. If no one follows you, then maybe you're just being paranoid or they got the hint. If someone does follow you, then try and get help.

NewYorkYankee
February 20th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Have you ever had any incidents such as that on the train, TLOZ?

TLOZ Link5
February 20th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Have you ever had any incidents such as that on the train, TLOZ?

I've never been mugged or attacked, especially not on the subway. I did come close once, but I was in Bushwick and it was 11 at night — an uncommon time to take the subway in that area. I was with a friend and though it was obvious that the three guys were considering it, they backed off.

Other than that, I've been fine.

NewYorkYankee
February 20th, 2005, 04:15 PM
May I ask, were you IN Bushwick, or riding the train THROUGH it?

TLOZ Link5
February 20th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Whoops, shoulda explained. I had ridden the subway TO Bushwick, and the guys who were casing me were on the train and got off at the same stop. I was headed to a friend's party.

NewYorkYankee
February 21st, 2005, 01:58 PM
Ahhh ok, well atleast nothing happened.

lightningboy
February 21st, 2005, 10:13 PM
That's some exciting stuff. The only time I was a bit nervous is when my girlfriend and I went past West 4th into Spanish Harlem @ like 2 a.m.

JCMAN320
February 21st, 2005, 11:12 PM
I've road the subway late night many times and nothing had come close to happening to me. Have met many interesting people, but have never been in danger and I have been through many notoriously bad neighborhoods many times and have never felt in danger late at night.

Schadenfrau
February 22nd, 2005, 12:08 PM
Lightningboy, are you sure you were in Spanish Harlem? There's no train to connect Spanish Harlem with West 4th.

TLOZ Link5
February 22nd, 2005, 12:24 PM
Lightningboy, are you sure you were in Spanish Harlem? There's no train to connect Spanish Harlem with West 4th.

Perhaps he means Washington Heights.

BrooklynRider
February 22nd, 2005, 02:39 PM
My grandfather was a subway conductor on the BMT. Safety rule for late night.... You will see over a small stretch of platform a board hanging from the ceiling (like a 1x4) with black and white diagonal stripes. You will always find the conductor in the car that stops in front of that sign. Ride that car late night.

(Thank you Grandpapa - R.I.P.)

I LOVE THE SOCCER
February 28th, 2005, 08:49 PM
What are the lines of the subway that have always at least 150-200 passengers in Midtown Manhattan at 3.00 AM in a normal weekday (Tuesday or Wednesday for example) even in a winter month (January or February for example)?

I LOVE THE SOCCER
February 28th, 2005, 08:50 PM
What are the lines of the subway that have always at least 150-200 passengers on a train in Midtown Manhattan at 3.00 AM in a normal weekday (Tuesday or Wednesday for example) even in a winter month (January or February for example)?

Kolbster
February 28th, 2005, 09:33 PM
Uh, no. The trains are not less safe at night. Despite popular perceptions, crime on NY public transit generally occurs during weekday business hours, rather than at night. Another false stereotype is transit crime by location. Manhattan transit lines have a much higher rate of crime than in the outer boroughs. Even the "bad' neighborhoods in the outer boroughs have lower crime rates than subway lines and stations in Manhattan.

Crime on the subways is down like 90% from 10 years ago. I've seen much more petty crime on RATP (Paris Metro and RER) than in New York.

**Safer, but not that safe....have you ever riden the subway that late at night?

NewYorkYankee
February 28th, 2005, 09:43 PM
What are the lines of the subway that have always at least 150-200 passengers in Midtown Manhattan at 3.00 AM in a normal weekday (Tuesday or Wednesday for example) even in a winter month (January or February for example)?

I'd guess the green line. (4,5,6)

I LOVE THE SOCCER
February 28th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Thank you for the replay, but 5 line isn't 24 hours in Manhattan.

ASchwarz
February 28th, 2005, 11:01 PM
**Safer, but not that safe....have you ever riden the subway that late at night?

Yes, I've ridden at all hours. The safest time on the subway is late at night, practically everyone is sleeping or dog-tired. The most recorded subway crime is during weekday afternoons, particularly after schools let out.

I LOVE THE SOCCER
February 28th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Excuse me ASCHWARZ. From your experience, can you respond my question puted at 8: 50 PM? Thank you very much.

Clarknt67
March 4th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Uh, no. The trains are not less safe at night. Despite popular perceptions, crime on NY public transit generally occurs during weekday business hours, rather than at night

I would agree anecdotally, I've ridden the trains late, home from the bar many, many times and they are usually populated enough to at least give me the false impression I'm safe.

But, I also read the local neighborhood papers, (Brooklyn Heights Courier for me) and they run "Police Blotter" columns and I'm more than a little disheartened to read people get mugged, at gunpoint, at knifepoint in my neighborhood, Brooklyn Heights, supposedly one of the safest in the City, in broad daylight. Life holds no garantees.

NewYorkYankee
March 4th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Hmmm... I am an avid reader of NY1.com to keep up with the city. I havntheard of any such instances, I guess they dont mention all that happens.

I LOVE THE SOCCER
March 13th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Is it exact to say that there are always at least 150-200 persons only on the 1-2-4-6-7-N and L lines in Midtown Manhattan, even at 3.00 or 4.00 AM in a normal weekday of a winter month?

I LOVE THE CITY THAT SLEEPS NEVER!!!!!!!!!

kmistic
March 14th, 2005, 09:53 AM
The last time i was in NYC i was in line to buy a MetroCard. A guy came up to me and tried to sell me a used metrocard. I travel to the city often especially over the past 13 years. Thats the only time i noticed any "crime" on the subways.

I LOVE THE SOCCER
March 17th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Are able you ASchwarz, for your experience, to replay to my last question about late night service? Thank you.

Schadenfrau
March 17th, 2005, 05:03 PM
There's really not much of a way for a rider to determine the total number of people on a train at a given time. You really only know how many people are in your car.

NYatKNIGHT
March 18th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Right, it's impossible to know exactly, but if I had to guess I don't think any train always has 150-200 people at 4:00am on a normal weekday of a winter month.

I LOVE THE SOCCER
March 18th, 2005, 07:26 PM
I haven't said any train, but only 1-2-4-6-7-N and L in Midtown Manhattan in a normal weekday of a winter month. Is it possible?

Schadenfrau
March 21st, 2005, 11:49 AM
We've already answered your question.

Also, the L does not run in midtown.