PDA

View Full Version : Moderator Closes & Deletes Thread

Nomad
February 2nd, 2005, 03:36 PM
Moderator Cris closed a legitimate Poll thread I posted. He/she later deleted it altogether. He/she gave the lame excuse that a similar thread already existed, however, it did not. My thread was a poll. There are no other polls on this forum with the same topic.
I hope someone else can stand up in my defense, let my thread stand, and prevent such despotic and senseless actions.

Thank you

londonlawyer
February 2nd, 2005, 03:52 PM
While it may be frustrating, people own this site and let us use it as guests, so their will prevails. Don't worry about it, amigo. Just enjoy the site. It's one of the best ones and has excellent people.

NYatKNIGHT
February 2nd, 2005, 04:01 PM
That thread was going to be closed whether Kris did it or not. I was in the process of doing so when it happened, apparently. There is already a four page thread that discusses NYC becoming a separate state:

Should New York State and City split? (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2945&highlight=upstate)

For those new members with only a few posts, we have been discussing a wide range of topics over the past few years. Use the Search button to find out if there is already a thread about the topic you want to discuss before starting a new thread. Repeat threads make research harder and cause discussions to become too fragmented. Therefore, repeat threads will be closed or deleted.

Nomad
February 2nd, 2005, 04:09 PM
It was not a repeat thread.

Kris
February 2nd, 2005, 04:11 PM
Actually, there is a poll - not that the difference is significant. I sent you a link (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3960) to it after you complained to me and told you there were at least two threads on the same topic. I posted a link to the poll-less one before closing your thread, which I deleted after rederecting you a second time.

You ignored me and recreated your thread, which I deleted. I then warned you that repeating such an action could have you banned.

My behavior has been irreproachable. Apologize for your insults or I will demand that you be banned.

Kris
February 2nd, 2005, 04:18 PM
While it may be frustrating, people own this site and let us use it as guests, so their will prevails. Don't worry about it, amigo. Just enjoy the site. It's one of the best ones and has excellent people.
Moderation isn't arbitrary and this section's purpose is in part to receive complaints. Edward is the only owner.

londonlawyer
February 2nd, 2005, 04:55 PM
Moderation isn't arbitrary and this section's purpose is in part to receive complaints. Edward is the only owner.

I didn't say anything about arbitrary.

Kris
February 2nd, 2005, 09:07 PM
No, but you seemed to be suggesting it would be okay if it were.

londonlawyer
February 2nd, 2005, 09:17 PM
I wasn't suggesting anything. I just told the guy that we're guests on this site and to enjoy it and not make something out of nothing.

Nomad
February 3rd, 2005, 04:16 PM
To Kris:

When you closed/deleted my poll thread, you provided me with the wrong link, while telling me I posted a duplicate thread. That link did not have a poll in its discussion. Naturally, I was offended with your inaccurate references and abrupt actions.

I posted a poll again, and you rushed to delete it, and then sent me a warning to ban me. Somewhere in between you sent me the link again, which I assumed is the same one. I later noticed the second link actually had a poll in it. At that point your hostile attitude was obvious Ė maybe itís your way of solving issues, I donít know. I may not be an expert at searching topics, but you are certainly no expert at providing accurate information either.

It also tells me that you may have a double standard toward duplicate threads. Correct me if I am wrong, but in a similar situation, after I posted the Moving to NYC advice thread on January 4th, 2005
http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5571 , you followed by posting an identical thread Moving to New York City http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5632&highlight=moving , on
January 15th, 2005 and made it sticky. Does that mean you will soon start deleting all other threads on the same topic? Or would it be against your judgment to delete your own duplicate thread, as moderators demand?

Furthermore, most people come to forums to talk to others and discuss issues. Forums are not seen as a place to search for archives and read other peopleís old discussions, unless someone is looking to do research.

I can handle being corrected in a professional and courteous manner and with proper re-direction, but I donít know how to deal with online stalkers with power of authority, so if you cannot accept other peopleís equal right to being treated with respect, you might as well ban me and anyone else who can potentially point out your mistakes to you.

Kris
February 3rd, 2005, 04:27 PM
I can't stand these self-righteous schmucks. And I'm not wasting any more of my time: Edward, he insulted me in a PM, now refuses to apologize and keeps coming up with bullshit, so please get rid of him.

Edward
February 3rd, 2005, 07:20 PM
We've been through this before... Well, let me outline the situation.

The moderators are performing an essential function on this forum - keeping the discussion going smoothly, arranging the threads so it's easy to find content for forum members, and so on. Having 2 threads on the same subject is confusing.

Next. Perhaps some members would not agree with every moderating decision that moderator makes. There is nothing unusual in that. It can be discussed - politely.

Next. Any disrespect towards moderators will result in immediate banning - and that is regardless of who was right or wrong. In my opinion this is a necessary condition for a healthy forum and is for everyone's benefit.

Finally - I will use the new feature of the new forum software :) and ban Nomad temporarily - the ban automatically expires in 2 weeks.