PDA

View Full Version : The ultimate apartment challenge

alex ballard
February 6th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Is there any part of NYC or NJ/Nassau/Westchester where I could get a 1 br for $400-600 a month? This is the target range I'm looking for when I get out of high school.

Talksoccer
February 6th, 2005, 06:43 PM
http://newyork.craigslist.org/hsw/

Try that, you can find some good bargains in there

billyblancoNYC
February 7th, 2005, 01:11 AM
Is there any part of NYC or NJ/Nassau/Westchester where I could get a 1 br for $400-600 a month? This is the target range I'm looking for when I get out of high school.

You mean, w/o a roommate (ie. $800-$1200 per month)?

ASchwarz
February 7th, 2005, 02:07 PM
If you want your own place, and want to live in safe conditions (no illegal basements or illegal subdividing of apartments) the cheapest apartments will be in poorer parts of North Jersey. Newark, southern Jersey City, Patterson, and East Orange are probably the cheapest. Within the city the South Bronx and parts of East Brooklyn (Brownsville, East NY) are probably cheapest. If you are genuinely poor, perhaps you should apply for Section 8 vouchers, HPD housing, or NYCHA housing. HPD has some wonderful housing in safe neighborhoods.

Of course, you could always get a deal. I know someone living in a 1B in prime Williamsburg for $600/month.

Schadenfrau
February 7th, 2005, 02:53 PM
From what I understand, subsidised housing is basically impossible for a young, single person to obtain. Especially for someone who's just graduated from high school.

Are you planning on attending college, AlexBallard?

alex ballard
February 7th, 2005, 03:42 PM
From what I understand, subsidised housing is basically impossible for a young, single person to obtain. Especially for someone who's just graduated from high school.

Are you planning on attending college, AlexBallard?

In the future, yes, but right now, I'm thinking of going into the building/automotive trades or even work for the Government or MTA. But I will defantetly pursue college. However, the great thing about having a blue-collar skill is you have something to fall back on.

Are NY landlords one to negotiate? Could I work out someting like a 25-30% of post tax income rent? At least it bends according to my income, offering growth potential. I mean, most jobs are gonna start out at $8-10 an hour. But they then increase with some going up to $30 or $50 an hour. By the way, how much of my income is gonna go out the window in the city? I was planning on 40% going to taxes. Is that too high (I hope)?

billyblancoNYC
February 7th, 2005, 03:52 PM
In the future, yes, but right now, I'm thinking of going into the building/automotive trades or even work for the Government or MTA. But I will defantetly pursue college. However, the great thing about having a blue-collar skill is you have something to fall back on.

Contact there folks. http://www.gnyada.com/

They are about to open a massive training center for mechanics, sales, etc. Basically all anyone would need to know about the auto industry. There is sharp demand and good salaries. Inquire and maybe you can get in the first set of classes.

The facility is in College Point, Queens.

Here's the news release about the state-of-the-art Training Facility:

http://newyorkbiz.com/nycida/idanewsrel10.03.html