PDA

View Full Version : NYC's Image in the US and in the World

alex ballard
February 9th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Here's a question for our WNY people outside the five boroughs. There has always been a traditional stereotype of people in the country hating NYC. Is this really as big as it used to be? Did 9/11 change anything? Is this whole "Damn Yankees" attitude towards NY really overblown? And how are we viewed around the world?

yyy
February 9th, 2005, 10:05 AM
I like NYC - and I'm not from the US. I don't think people hate NYC at all :confused: Many people think NY is a modern and beatiful city. 9/11 might have scared some tourists, but I believe it is just temporary effect.
It makes me sad to know some people think negativly anout NY :(

NewYorkYankee
February 9th, 2005, 01:17 PM
People here, in TN, are divided. One side loves NY and thinks it is amazing. The others hate it and wont have anything to do with it, although they've never been. People here view it as the financial capital of the world.

TLOZ Link5
February 9th, 2005, 05:23 PM
I'll be optimistic and say that this is a person-to-person question. My family on my dad's side in Kentucky and Ohio has, overall, a very favorable view of NYC, particularly my grandparents, who love coming here. My grandmother's friends always put together a shopping list for her for when she heads off to Canal Street http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

sunfly
February 10th, 2005, 03:42 AM
I am German, and i love new york !
But many germans had problems with georgs politics. There only two ways:
Come to NY, you love it or you hate it. I love it !
I was threetimes in NY, and now i work hard for the next trip.
I come back,

Jürgen

Jasonik
February 10th, 2005, 03:55 AM
I grew up upstate and city people stereotype themselves pretty well when they buy up farms, build obscene houses, introduce themselves to their new neighbors with lawyers and shoot anything that moves during deer season including cows, horses and dogs. As long as they stay in NYC, I don't have a problem with New Yorkers.

Gab
July 16th, 2005, 07:03 PM
I went in New York city last june and I wasn't afraid. In Montréal somebody told me NYC is crazy city and when I recently went in this city I realized that I should not count on people opinion.

miyom
July 19th, 2005, 05:14 AM
I always felt that it was the other way around. The reputation of New Yorkers is that they hate everyone else. The people I know have a fascination and respect for all things relating to the city.

macreator
July 19th, 2005, 09:10 AM
For the most part, non-New Yorkers I've talked to have a favorable image of NYC in terms of it being a very cosmopolitan City although there is still the myth that anyone who ventures on the subway gets shot.