PDA

View Full Version : Chicago and Travel

NewYorkYankee
February 19th, 2005, 11:39 AM
My dad and I are going to Chicago in April for my spring break. Anyone been to the city? Whats it like? Things you think we should do? Also, we have never flown before, but after driving 12 hours one way to NY four times we decided to. So, Ive found some great deals on this website: www.cheaptickets.com Is this a legit, and safe website? Would YOU use it? Thanks! :) (We usually use Orbitz, but flights on this site are cheaper.)

Gulcrapek
February 19th, 2005, 12:37 PM
I didn't get to see really outside of downtown and the gold coast, but what I saw was pretty nice. Clean too, and lots of interesting buildings. We stayed at the Allegro, it was ok; the room was tiny, but it was well located.

fioco
February 19th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Chicago is a wonderful city. You're sure to have a great time. Visit the Archicenter (http://www.architecture.org/cac.html)of the Chicago Architecture Foundation. By April the weather should be agreeable for a Chicago River architecture tour. Walk the streets, ride the El, delight in the lakefront (Ferris Wheel at Navy Pier is a tourist trap but has a great skyline view). Do you belong to the forum at SkyscraperPage.com? (several WiredNY forumers do). I bet some of the Chicago forumers would greatly enjoy showing you and your Dad Chi-town in ways only locals can. Chicago has its own vibe. You'll love it.

thatshott
March 3rd, 2005, 11:19 AM
Love chicago - but def. go when it is warm! It can be awfully windy and frigid in the winter. A must see is the Navy Pier - but stay away from Cabrini Greene (that's where they filmed Candyman). I would also check the Independence Air website (www.flyi.com) for deals. I've been finding the lowest fares there lately.

bohemian rhapsody
March 8th, 2005, 02:43 AM
Chicago is great! When I first visited, my first thought was that it was a smaller, cleaner, midwest version of NY (thought obviously different in many other ways as well).

As gulcrapek said, it is very clean especially considering the size, that is, if you stay in the right areas. Michigan Ave. and the gold coast are beautiful.

It probably will be cold still if you're headed up for spring break. Check the weather beforehand, but you'll likely want to pack a coat and a jacket.

I'm sure you've already purchased tickets by now, but yes, cheaptickets is a reputable site. Good deals.

Have fun!

NewYorkYankee
April 4th, 2005, 10:20 PM
We're flying on United Airlines. Has anyone used this airline before? Comments on it? If I like it, Im going to subscribe to the frequent flyer/mileage points program. If I dont like it, what other airlines have good frequent flyer programs? Thanks! (First Time flyer, sorry I dont know much more!)