PDA

View Full Version : thinking about moving to new york

jamess
February 20th, 2005, 12:36 PM
hi folks,

i'm vaguely considering moving to new york in the future for a year or so. was just wondering where is an interesting place to live with not too crazy rents.

cheers,

james.

jamess
February 20th, 2005, 02:32 PM
*kicks tin can against forum wall*

*whistles*

NewYorkYankee
February 20th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Brooklyn would be fun for you. Where are you from now?

ASchwarz
February 20th, 2005, 04:13 PM
hi folks,

i'm vaguely considering moving to new york in the future for a year or so. was just wondering where is an interesting place to live with not too crazy rents.

cheers,

james.

Consider Brooklyn, Upper Manhattan or Queens.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/about/apts.html

Define "not too crazy rents" and tell us if you plan on living alone or with roommates.

jamess
February 21st, 2005, 07:05 AM
Hi,

I'm currently in Vienna, Austria. I'm a software engineer but I wouldn't be going to work my ass off all day at some highly paid job but rather enough to live and learn a bit about the city. It'd be me and my girlfriend so I guess a better question would be what's a reasonable cost of living for a couple in an interesting part of town. Doesn't have to be a fantastic apartment of course just in a good location and not a health hazzard :)

cheers,

James.

NoyokA
February 21st, 2005, 03:29 PM
Take a look at Manhattan Valley:

http://www.newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/realestate/columns/realestate/11144/

jamess
February 22nd, 2005, 04:52 AM
thanks!

ksusha21
February 23rd, 2005, 01:44 PM
Try Staten Island. Staten Island is a nice quiet place and is not so expensive! I live in Staten Island and love it. You can get to manhattan on the ferry in staten island!and brooklyn's right over the verrazano bridge!

Zouzzi
February 23rd, 2005, 07:48 PM
My friend is going to LIve iN NYC for 3months she's been looking at so many places, Queens, Brooklyn , I want her to find a place in Manhatton but its so bloody expensive... she doesnt wanna share either.. I will be visiting her.. If I had it my way i would move to Gramacy Park .. I love it there.. but its so $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

mwah .. hehe

Ninja Mantis
April 8th, 2005, 02:20 AM
how much is expensive is relevent to your pocketbook but trust me...NYC is damn expensive. Rents are ridiculous. You can pay over $1000 a month for a one room studio the size of a mouse hole and your neighbors will tell you its a bargain.

If you can afford 2000 a month...you can find decent digs just about any place in the 5 bouroughs. Though Staten Island will be the cheapest because it has the least accessability. You would have to take the ferry into the city...which as a non NYer should be AWESOME! So long as the skipper is not drunk.

Whatever you do...good luck.

kmistic
April 17th, 2005, 11:15 PM
I just looked at a 1 bedroom 700 sqft in little italy on mulberry st for $1800/month.

guinessanyone
November 6th, 2005, 02:39 PM
came across this forum, i have the opportunity to relocate to NY from Fla.

I would be working in Yonkers. Salary 90k. Is that good for NY?

Not to be a downer, but, what does anyone think about the "terror" issue?

nycbound
November 6th, 2005, 05:31 PM
guineess- I also am looking to relocate from FL to NYC- check out the Moving to New York City thread under New York City Guide for New Yorkers- there is some helpful info...

ryan
November 6th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Not to be a downer, but, what does anyone think about the "terror" issue?

I'd be more concerned about Hurricanes in FL.

Gregory Tenenbaum
November 7th, 2005, 04:24 AM
Hi Jamess

NYC is a swell town, but if you want a big town feel with fresh air and the goodness of sun, don't overlook Miami.

The only thing I like about leaving NY is flying to Miami - there is no other city in the world quite like it.

It's very reasonably priced, even if you live right near Miami Beach and the Lincoln Road Mall. You can walk everywhere, or catch a bus. The public transport is not as good as NYC, however you dont need it. You can walk from 4th Avenue to Lincoln Road Mall (about 13 blocks) in about 20 mins. Every block has a wonderful art deco hotel.

The point is at the end of the day, its about 2/3rds the price of living in downtown manhattan, and you are right in the middle of the best areas. Downtown is a 40 min bus trip however, there's not much there compared to the beach area.

Remember Miami Airport is only a 15 dollar cab fare away from anywhere in Miami and you can fly to the Caribbean, Me-Hee-Ko and of course Beautiful Brazil, the Land of Revolvers In Dark Alleys. You can even fly to NYC dirt cheap.

There are much more librarys and museums here of course, but Miami has fantastic people, lots of sun, bars and great clubs and restaurants and other things to do.

Just my 2 eurocents worth. Enjoy, where-ever you go.

guinessanyone
November 7th, 2005, 11:16 AM
I've gone thru 3 canes in the past 18 months - Jeane (while living in Atlanta, scrambled back to south fla with gas,food and a generator to board up my home), frances and wilma last week. Hurricanes dont bother me at this point, I can always get a neighbor to board up if i'm not there. As far as NY, the thing that pops up is some maniac thinking 911 part deux. Now as far as living someplace, manhattan to too pricey, any thoughts on mt vernon? whats north of yonkers, or how bout jersey across from yonkers.
thanks for any and all comments. i'm on the fence.

andyghai
June 3rd, 2006, 12:33 AM
Hi Guys
I am moving to NY and i am enrolling in the Lee Strasberg Acting School.I would be working in a hotel as a front desk clerk making around 11$-12$ per hour,Right now i live in the Bay Area and rents are exp here too,I pay $750 for a small studio,I was looking on craigslist and i found cheaper apts in queens(arnd $650).
I wanted to know what area of queens are safer than the others and also if you have any imp information i should be aware of.
Thanks

Schadenfrau
June 3rd, 2006, 01:20 AM
Get a roommate, no doubt about it. And if you won't have a roommate, NYC might be a bad fit.

If you like the Bay Area, you'll likely gravitate towards Astoria, Long Island City, Sunnyside, and Woodside.

andyghai
June 3rd, 2006, 01:27 AM
Hi
I dont like the bay area in the sense the public transport sucks,I would like to work at a hotel in Midtown Manhatta and stay in queens.
I spend $750 on a studio here as i said,So according to my calculations i think its gonna be the same,Bay area is pretty exp too.

Schadenfrau
June 3rd, 2006, 03:02 AM
Honestly, you'd be hard pressed to find a studio for that price, especially if you're just moving to the city.

As I said before, getting a roommate is your best bet, at least for the time being.

andyghai
June 3rd, 2006, 03:08 AM
Right on man,Thanks for the reply

Mirka
April 28th, 2007, 01:10 PM
IŽll be working in Staten Island this summer. What would be suggestions for housing. Do u have any ideas for me? :confused: